Bighorn sheep recovering in ND

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
MINOT, N.D. – In a report released this week bighorn sheep are setting new population records in western North Dakota since being reintroduced.

The species disappeared from the state in 1905, and were reintroduced later. There are 322 bighorn sheep in the western side of the state at last count, topping the 2008 record.

“All wildlife is neat to see even if it’s the first robin in the spring, those crocuses that are poking out of the ground right now. Especially with bighorn sheep it’s exciting to see those numbers increasing. It’s one of those icon species of North Dakota,” said Greg Gullickson, NDGF Outreach Biologist.

Game and Fish said in a release that there are likely more of the sheep today than when North Dakota first became a state in 1889

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I saw a group of 5 last week Saturday on my journey up Hwy 85, they were about 3/4 of a mile off the west side of the hwy right before the bridge at the start of the breaks. Haven't seen that ever before, and I drive that road about every other week.

8andcounting

Founding Member
Founding Member
Who cares ... if you somehow get a tag you are guided by a warden . Lots of fun that would be , being told ok that ones our pet you can’t shoot him .

CAH

Founding Member
Founding Member
Who cares ... if you somehow get a tag you are guided by a warden . Lots of fun that would be , being told ok that ones our pet you can’t shoot him .

someone has a case of the Monday’s...

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm pretty sure they will let you shoot the biggest most mature ram you can.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
We stop pneumonia from domestic sheep wiping the herd out every few years and we could be looking at 20-40 tags a year. Still not a great hunting opportunity when it comes to numbers, but it would be something more of an opportunity for our hunting community.

I've always maintained that hunting "opportunity" is the one thing that every species needs to garner support from the hunting community, and Kentucky's post certainly reflects that. No offense intended there, KW. It's just the way it is, and our paddlefish population is another poster child for that thought process. Kinda tough to give a crap about anything that doesn't give you something to look forward to. I can go to plenty of places (Glacier, Badlands, and Yellowstone national parks) if all I want to do is see one.

7mmMag

Founding Member
Founding Member

I'm assuming you don't apply for a tag right?!

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
A couple random thoughts from a guy who loves to hunt and loves to eat meat...

I must be the odd man out thinking this is a pretty cool story.
I must also be the odd man out by not thinking the only critters worth having around are the ones you eventually get to kill.

I doubt I will ever have the opportunity to hunt a wild sheep anywhere, much less in ND...statistically one of the hardest draws in the United States the last I heard, but the one guy I know who killed a ND bighorn hunts a lot and thought it was a pretty damn amazing experience. I bet I would have at least as much fun as him whether I have a game warden looking over my shoulder or not.

Some of you guys must get served up a hot cup of horse piss in the morning when you wake up.

Last edited:

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
It’s not about getting to hunt or not hunt them. I want them to thrive here in ND. However, no can argue the massive roller coaster highs and lows that have come with managing them. It would be one thing if they were a completely self sustaining animal, but they are not. They are a cut above a group of pet animals that have to be constantly babied and cared for like a child IMO.

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member

Weren't there 2 shot last year or the year before that broke previous state record?

Wags2.0

★★★★★ Legendary Member

I bet you write reviews on Yelp a lot

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
;:;rofl Picture or it didn't happen!
cache.php

- - - Updated - - -

story to go with it

https://www.outdoornews.com/2019/01/29/south-dakota-bighorn-ram-is-a-world-record/

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75