Bighorn sheep recovering in ND

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
The bighorns are doing great, but you can't hunt white tails over bait wherever we decide it's inappropriate. Not because we have any scientific basis for our opinion, but we are going to do it anyway. Aren't we (the nd gnf) awesome that we provide you (the pleb hunters) an animal (bighorns) NONE of you will ever get to hunt?!?!? Makes me wanna puke..................

MathewsZman

Founding Member
Founding Member
The only bighorn I'll probably ever get is the one almost every morning.

You mean almost on Monday, almost on Tuesday, almost on Wednesday , almost on Thursday , almost on Friday , almost on Saturday , almost on Sunday??????????

- - - Updated - - -[/COLO????? ����������������

Last edited:

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
BISMARCK, N.D. (KFYR) - The Game and Fish Department’s 2021 bighorn sheep survey shows a record 335 bighorn sheep in western North Dakota.

That’s up 4 percent from 2020 and 15 percent above the five-year average. The count surpassed the previous record of 322 bighorns in 2020.

Biologists counted 99 rams, 175 ewes and 61 lambs.

That did not include approximately 40 bighorn sheep in the North Unit of Theodore Roosevelt National Park and bighorns introduced to the Fort Berthold Reservation in 2020.

“We were encouraged to see the count of adult rams increase to near record levels, and adult ewes were at record numbers,” Wiedmann said. “Most encouraging was a record lamb count corresponding with a record recruitment rate.”

Deep Forks

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think you’ve gotten some misinformation there 8andcounting… my dad drew a tag last year after applying for more years than he can remember. There was no game warden or guiding involved. The local biologist contacts you and gives you some really good info on where to start and encourages you to shoot a mature ram but at the end of the day any ram is legal. And you can hunt your entire unit just like whitetail hunting. After harvest the biologist drives to u in the field and takes some tissue samples, ages it, etc… at no point is a warden or biologist with u while u hunt. We did some pre season scouting and talked to ranchers and got permission from every single one we talked to. Some we very helpful… I suppose it’s the one species they can’t get a gratis for so they’re very open to letting hunters on. My dad got a ram on opening day on public land that scored in the top 10 all time for ND. Also heard through the grapevine that a couple other rams shot last year made top 10.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
My son and i were involve with a lady a few years ago who shot a record at that time.
Great experience for us.
Just like Deep Forks said for us. Copy of horns at Scheels in Minot. db

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
So, your dad shot a top 10 and reports of record numbers are misinformation? Or are you referring to an older post?

rodcontrol

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why would any population need that many males? Harvesting 5 of the available 99. How many do they expect die from natural causes?
How many ewes can a ram breed? Sorry, I know some of this sounds scientific.

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't get pneumonia while searching for the answer. #$%^&>

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105