Frozen Four

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
Starts today with semi's and ends with championship game on Saturday. Today's games are on ESPN2 with SCSU vs. Mankato at 4 pm and UMDuluth vs UMass at 8:pm. Time is CDT. Saturday's Championship game is on ESPN.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
SL The Lumberjacks have their National tournament next weekend , First game is Thursday afternoon.

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
Found the ACHA website and see the games. They might be on Hockey tv. Not sure if I can get on that. Have a subscription to ESPN+ to watch UND football games but not sure that they carry Hockey tv. Good game so far - all tied at 3 after 2 periods.

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
First semi ends with a SCSU victory 5-4 over UMMankato. Second game is 1-1 after 1 ... UMass and UMDuluth.

UMDuluth up 2-1 after 2.

Tied at 2-2 after 3. OT with 4 on 4 to start.

UMass wins in 1st OT 3-2. Will play SCSU in Championship game on ESPN at 6 pm CDT on Saturday.

Last edited:

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dang... was hoping UMD would be the winner over UMass. Well, it will have to be SCSU for Saturday evening viewing! Do we get another UND player with the Hobey Baker award tonight?

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
The dogs definitely outplayed them. Glad Mass knocked them out last night. New blood otherwise they'll just get a big head. SCSU for the win.

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
SCSU probably played their worst game of the playoffs and lost 5-0 to UMass in the Championship game.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep, not a good showing from the Sota teams.

8andcounting

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep, not a good showing from the Sota teams.

atleast they were there and had a chance . I mean , 3 weeks ago the gf herald and Fargo forum And lord knows how many Und fans , were looking for places to hang the championship banners for fb and hockey . Too bad so sad . Atleast there’s baseball.... no wait they had to cut that cuz hockey is too expensive ....

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
atleast they were there and had a chance . I mean , 3 weeks ago the gf herald and Fargo forum And lord knows how many Und fans , were looking for places to hang the championship banners for fb and hockey . Too bad so sad . Atleast there’s baseball.... no wait they had to cut that cuz hockey is too expensive ....

I don't think they cut some sports programs at UND because hockey "is too expensive." Men's hockey probably pays for itself with $$$ left over. The sports were cut because state money was cut back when the Saudi's dumped oil on the market and oil prices and production was reduced worldwide. That caused ND's cut of oil money to be reduced and the ND governor had to reduce the budget and the $$$ the state could give to higher education.

Greenhorn

Honored Member
I don't think they cut some sports programs at UND because hockey "is too expensive." Men's hockey probably pays for itself with $$$ left over. The sports were cut because state money was cut back when the Saudi's dumped oil on the market and oil prices and production was reduced worldwide. That caused ND's cut of oil money to be reduced and the ND governor had to reduce the budget and the $$$ the state could give to higher education.

That along with the great spending Kelly did as president. And they had to cut baseball per Title IX since they cut women’s hockey.

8andcounting

Founding Member
Founding Member
Um, no . The gf herald and f forum put out budget reports a few (maybe4-5) years back . Und hockey is , and has been in the Red for years . Maybe there was other factors ... I’m sure there was . But what did Ndsu have to cut ? Ndsu had sports in the red too , but their big sport (football) was well in the black . Hockey’s expensive . And they can’t win . 1 title in 20 years isn’t winning. But hey they get guys into the nhl! That does a lot of good

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
Um, no . The gf herald and f forum put out budget reports a few (maybe4-5) years back . Und hockey is , and has been in the Red for years . Maybe there was other factors ... I’m sure there was . But what did Ndsu have to cut ? Ndsu had sports in the red too , but their big sport (football) was well in the black . Hockey’s expensive . And they can’t win . 1 title in 20 years isn’t winning. But hey they get guys into the nhl! That does a lot of good

OK. The Fargo Dome seats 18,700 for NDSU football and the REA seats 11,640 for UND hockey. In the 2019/2020 season NDSU played 9 home games including 3 post season games and UND played 20 regular season home games and got shorted 2 post season conference tournament games when the post season was stopped. Let's do the numbers:

NDSU 18,700x09=168,300 tickets
UND 11,640x22=256,080 tickets

assuming all games are sold out. UND is selling 50% more tickets to hockey games than NDSU is selling to football games. The Ralph has a waiting list for season tickets and every time I have been there in the last 10+ years attendance has been nearly/if not 100%. I believe ALL games are sold out. If attendence is not 100% it is because people could not make the game.

These next numbers are guesstimates by me but I would guess that NDSU has at least 100 athletes in their football program and UND has maybe 40 hockey players that they list as on their team. They carry 26 or 27 on their active roster. I would guess that the staff to support twice (4x) the athletes would be twice (4x) the number to support half (1/4) the athletes.

So you are telling me that NDSU is in the black with their football program fielding a team with twice (4x) the athletes and employing twice (4x) the staff on 2/3rds ticket sales than UND's hockey program, and UND is in the red. Don't believe it.

ps: Neither NDSU nor UND sell tickets to their games - the tickets are sold and the revenue is collected by the Fargo Dome and the Ralph Engelstad Arena. They then share the revenue with the schools.

pps: More championships cannot sell more tickets IF there are no more tickets available to be sold!!!

Last edited:

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lumberjacks national tournament is in Bismarck/Mandan this year , Jacks play @ 1:30 today . Games are on hockey tv $ 30 for one month subscription.

https://www.hockeytv.com/partners/elite

If I happen to run across a free broadcast I'll post it.

Thanks, I registered for a free subscription but cannot watch game for free. Think I will pass on $30/month even for only 1 month.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
There might be a free broadcast at game time but I wasn't going to chance it. I looked at it this way, a tournament pass for my bride and myself for $15 each is cheap entertainment plus we don't need a hotel or gas . Plus no shopping spree in Bismarck for my wife , Life is Good , It doesn't get much better than this. :;:cheers

Will post a free link if I see one.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 115
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76