Stocking up on lures - what to get for the river?

Greenhorn

Honored Member
I’m looking to stock up on some cranks, jerkbaits, plastics, spinner rigs, jigs, etc. and take advantage of scheels fishing sale right now. What lures/colors would you all recommend for fishing this part of the state (The river, Sak, Potholes, etc.)? I know things change each time you go out, but what are some of your favorites/go-tos? Thanks!
Phil

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
For spinners, go to scheels in Bismarck or Minot and grab some of the Legendary Tackle Company pre-loaded spools. We use only the best hooks and the value is pretty great for what you pay. Plus, it's a pretty good assortment of the different rigs we tie and will usually cover the spectrum of colors and patterns that are effective. On top of all that we tie every single rig right here in ND. The bismarck store also has a bunch of our mixed Colorado rig spools and our mixed fish scale Colorado rig spools. We also have a wide assortment of rigs we offer on our website www.legendarytacklecompany.com

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you are looking to stock up, the best money you can spend IMO is to get a lead smelter, round ball head jig mold in 1/8th, 1/4, and 3/8ths oz sizes. The smelter should be around 70 bucks with each mold being around 35. After the initial outlay of cash, each jig you make including hooks and paint will be around a nickel if you buy good, but inexpensive jig hooks. I buy eagle claw hooks and each jig I make is less than a nickel. With jigs being 25 to 50 cents each, it won't take long before you are on the upside. If you go this way, upsize your hooks. Meaning get 1/4 oz jig hooks for your 1/8ths and 3/8ths hooks for your q/4 oz jigs and so on. It makes using the larger paddle tails and twisters easier as you have a larger gap on the hook bend to hook fish. Also, I use a candle to heat the jig head for painting instead of propane torches or something else. It's much cheaper. Good Luck!!

honkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good luck if you’re going to the Minot Scheels. They are out of a lot of stuff already. Very disappointing.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I’m looking to stock up on some cranks, jerkbaits, plastics, spinner rigs, jigs, etc. and take advantage of scheels fishing sale right now. What lures/colors would you all recommend for fishing this part of the state (The river, Sak, Potholes, etc.)? I know things change each time you go out, but what are some of your favorites/go-tos? Thanks!
Phil
From shore or boat, or both?

undguy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Flicker Shads and Flicker Minnows. 5s and 7s. Purple, white, firetiger and silver.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
No better time to stock up on flicker shads and minnows. I ordered a bunch of Salmo hornets and freedivers for trolling.

As for plastics I would pick up some Authentix, Salmo, walleye assassins and Scheels paddle tail plastics. Whites, pinks, chartreuse

Jigs, whatever is cheapest, paying more than $.50 a jig is throwing money away.

Spinners and lindy rigs, I make my own. Smile blades or similar. Scheels Indiana or Colorado blades. Get blades of each color because you never know the hot color. Now is the time to stock up on cheap Scheels bottom bouncers.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member

- - - Updated - - -

Blade Baits....Tried one yesterday, and I really like the wobble. May replace a jig for me.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Shallow Shad Raps are on sale right now. Great for shore-fishing in some current - they don't go very deep. I think they're "buy two, get one free".

Jaykay

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Years ago I had a friend who was noted as a good walleye fisherman and he told me all you needed to catch walleyes were jigs. And, it didn't matter what color they were as long as they were white.

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think I've caught more fish on a Storm Smash Shad than any other crank. Just comparing cranks. They are now discontinued and the Runnings in Aberdeen has a whole shelf of them for 2.99. So I stocked up again. See if you can find those.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Rapala Husky Jerks! Just landed a pig on Saturday with a white one.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Rapala Husky Jerks! Just landed a pig on Saturday with a white one.

Great tailrace lure, mimics a dead smelt

Berkley Hit Stick is a new lure people have been raving about, haven’t used it though so no sure if it is a better jerk bait option

Slacker

I've personally caught more fish in the tailrace using a blue smelt hit stick than any other crank since they've came out.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
When you go to Scheels right now, just look for all the lures and colors that are sold out...that's the good shit!;:;rofl

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 169
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 122
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77