What are these?

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
My son likes to search for treasures when we go fishing. He has found a couple of these things on our last two outings while fishing the Red River. I assume it is some sort of fish vertebrae, but I have no clue which fish or creature they came from. What say you?

fish?.jpg

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would guess some kind of mammal vertebrae. Fish vertebrae are usually eaten by catfish or other fish before they get cleaned up like that. Without a size reference, I couldn't even guess from what critter. Quite the treasures though.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I put "fish vertebrae" into the google machine and it spit out an image that looked very similar, but it didn't say what kind of fish. This is the one:

fishgoogle.jpg

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Throw or quarter or dime in and re-take the 1st pic to give some size reference.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
fishquarter.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

06f29614512da53d1fb19a9a64e32f2e.jpg

Found this on the 'net. It was titled "15 huge catfish vertebrae". Guessing either a small channel cat or mad tom.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know people that have found a big elk ivory when the red river was very low

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
Snagged a doe head with legible tag in ear out of the sheyenne in West fargo, really wanted to put it on the guys driveway and video from afar.

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wasn't there someone from Fishing buddy a few years ago that found some sort of horn/stag/antler sticking out of the river bank that was supposedly pretty old ?

There was a recent find in McLean county that is similar to what I remember about that one.

https://www.kxnet.com/news/top-stor...-history-for-what-she-found-in-mclean-county/

20210411_190949.jpg

Davey, that was me....found an old elk shed that NDSU says is "eastern elk", an extinct species. 11" circumference through the main beam. So much cool stuff in the Red River to find when the river is low.

Last edited:

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Davey, that was me. So much cool stuff in the Red River to find when the river is low....

What did you ever find out about it ? The Red has so much cool history behind it . I'd love to find the old navigation map from the steamboat days that shows where they camped and stopped for wood. I know I saw one once but I don't remember where , Broadway in Fargo ? Bonanza Ville ? In a book ? I can't find it online.

- - - Updated - - -

That's pretty cool. I didn't see the whole response before I posted.

- - - Updated - - -

Ahab , Someone on another site mentioned that those could be growth rings in the middle.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dorsal fin bones of big carp are neat too.

It explains why I occasionally got the crap tore out of my hands bowfishing.

- - - Updated - - -

8AA56907-77EF-4223-B21B-566755F611FA.jpg

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
This was on Prairie Public TV last night, I had watched it before but watched it again. It's a cool little piece of Red River history worth watching IMO.

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ahab , Someone on another site mentioned that those could be growth rings in the middle.

The rings in the middle of the vertebral body are probably from the disc that sits between each vertebrae. The disc is made of an outer annular layer that is made of "rings" of tissue, with a softer nucleus in the middle.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I can't imagine trying to take a 100 foot steam boat up and down the Red.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
It had to have been a challenge but way easier and faster than ox cart, they thought they had it made but little did they know. Funny that they hauled the locomotive to Canada and that's what put them out of business.

Another interesting tidbit is, there has been an ongoing lawsuit for many years about the land "deal" that was made. The trial is next month in DC. I read about it in the history column in a local newspaper once too.

The way I understand it is there were some shady dealing between tribal leaders and the tribes and the decedents are blaming it on the white man. Take a look at the carving in one of the peace pipes in the picture, I always wondered what kind of tobacco they smoked in those things.

https://www.duluthnewstribune.com/community/history/6966941-59M-settlement-addresses-1800s-Ojibwe-land-grabs-in-Minnesota-and-North-Dakota

- - - Updated - - -

Click on the X on the pop up box begging you to sign in or subscribe and it will go away . It did for me anyway.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
capt seen plenty of these things in my area where we bow fish,vert from carp in my case,most leave carp/suckers to rot on shore which is illegal in mn or toss shot rough fish back in the water to wash up on shore and rot away leaving these skeletons on shorelines and stink.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 100
  • This month: 97
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 62