Poachers caught

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
IDK I think some of those penalties are pretty stiff.

savage270

Founding Member
Founding Member
IDK I think some of those penalties are pretty stiff.

It seems like a few are pretty stiff, but from reading the article I doubt they will even cover the cost of the investigation, let alone restitution.

IMO, the fine for poaching should be the cost of a fully guided hunt for that animal. That makes sense to me as a way to assign value to a trophy animal.

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
Imagine the parents are real winners too

Im not sure i'd throw stones that far.. I know I did things back in my youth I wish I could take back but those things don't reflect back on my parent one bit. Only thing they were guilty of was letting me experience freedom with my bb gun and there was a time or 2 where I took advantage of it (minus the tens of thousands birds and critters on the wrong end of the barrel..)

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
One could always argue whether the court's punishment is sufficient, but I'd suggest the public shaming is the greatest punishment of all. I must be mellowing with age...

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Im not sure i'd throw stones that far.. I know I did things back in my youth I wish I could take back but those things don't reflect back on my parent one bit. Only thing they were guilty of was letting me experience freedom with my bb gun and there was a time or 2 where I took advantage of it (minus the tens of thousands birds and critters on the wrong end of the barrel..)

I was full-blown retarded until about age 24. And if you’re offended by my use of the phrase “retarded,” you should have met me in my 20s.

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’m curious as to what you guys feel is proper punishment for these guys? Serious question.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
One could always argue whether the court's punishment is sufficient, but I'd suggest the public shaming is the greatest punishment of all. I must be mellowing with age...

I'm all for huge fines, confiscating vehicles and equipment, etc. As far as the fines go though, if you fine a guy $25K for extra fish, I wonder how often the fine actually gets paid.

As far as public shaming is concerned, it's pretty easy for a smart-@ss young guy to laugh off a lot of it. Might be considered a badge of honor. "Lookit how many I got without getting caught".

I think community service is a good thing. Make them spend about 20 hours per week, (assuming they have jobs - if not, should be 40 hours per week) cleaning ditches all summer long.

I too did plenty of dumb things. Maybe a few weeks in jail would make them think twice next time.

The bottom line is, criminal already don't follow the rules.

Last edited:

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm all in for at least 2 FULL WEEKS in jail.

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
Everyone makes mistakes in life. I think first offense should be a pretty stiff penalty. Not over the top but noteworthy. Future offenses obviously much harsher fines, penalties etc. However, If caught once I think they should be required to go to some type of counseling or training that deals with wildlife. I don't know exactly what but something that teaches them the hurt it puts on others when these crimes are committed. The value of animals etc. I think they need to be educated about the overall damage they have done. So hopefully they have the vision to realize that their crimes affect so many other things, not just themselves and what the future for them may be if caught.

Maddog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I’m curious as to what you guys feel is proper punishment for these guys? Serious question.
''

Tar and feather.
Then public hanging at noon at the town square.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm all for huge fines, confiscating vehicles and equipment, etc. As far as the fines go though, if you fine a guy $25K for extra fish, I wonder how often the fine actually gets paid.

As far as public shaming is concerned, it's pretty easy for a smart-@ss young guy to laugh off a lot of it. Might be considered a badge of honor. "Lookit how many I got without getting caught".

I think community service is a good thing. Make them spend about 20 hours per week, (assuming they have jobs - if not, should be 40 hours per week) cleaning ditches all summer long.

I too did plenty of dumb things. Maybe a few weeks in jail would make them think twice next time.

The bottom line is, criminal already don't follow the rules.

Somewhat unrelated, but bear with me.

Back in the day I pulled the stunt of driving my motorcycle across the football field one fall evening. The local Fife was parked down by the tennis courts and saw the whole thing. When I came around the school, there he was with his red lights on. Because it wasn't on public property he left it up to the school's principal to decide my fate. What he came up with was I was to clean the field, stands and parking lot of all garbage after all home football games that season. Talk about the gift that kept giving. It was a lot worse than some monetary fine. Got me to thinking a bit too about doing more stupid stuff. Probably more than if it had been a dollar fine.

Dryfly36

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am curious why the one kid did not lose his hunting rights. That should be an automatic.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 135
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 106
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 85
  • This month: 75