Big Muddy

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have some really good news for some of you whiners. :cool: The Big Muddy tournament is going to be live release this year.

Any guesses what the winning weight will be (including the 3lb basket)?

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
About time. Putting a big one on the wall is one thing. Keeping a limit of eaters is another thing. Killing a pile of big fish for a tournament is just plain wasteful.

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
About time. Putting a big one on the wall is one thing. Keeping a limit of eaters is another thing. Killing a pile of big fish for a tournament is just plain wasteful.

If the tournament participants eat their catch what is the difference between that and a gaggle of weekend warriors fishing and catching their limits and taking them home to eat. Your implication is the weekend fishermen release the big ones. I'd like to see your evidence on that.

Last edited:

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
If the tournament participants eat their catch what is the difference between that and a gaggle of weekend warriors fishing and catching their limits and taking them home to eat. Your implication is the weekend fishermen release the big ones. I'd like to see your evidence on that.

Why would you think the average angler is out catching 4-6 lb fish on average, much less a trophy 28+ inch walleye over a given weekend?

I am pretty sure the tourney anglers don't catch, keep, and eat the majority of their fish. Since that is true, they kill far more fish than the weekend angler who catches 5-8 fish and only keeps their 5 before heading back to the dock.

Tagging studies don't lie. Fish once caught and released are far more likely to not be caught again then they are to again see a tape measure. Hence, the natural assumption is that those fish are far more likely to die than simply being smartened up to where they don't bite on a hook again.

There's no way you could convince me the average weekend angler impacts the walleye population more than the same area would have if there's a tourney in the near future. The numbers are just what they are...

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
The fact that I click on these types of topics every year is obvious proof I must hate myself. Yep tourneys and the bastards that fish them are obviously the end of fishing as we know it, considering the fishing is complete garbage in Nd.:::;:;banghead;:;banghead

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thats great that they are releasing these fish. Sounds like the G & F are finally pulling theirs heads out of their hinder parts.

- - - Updated - - -

Now if they would only allow culling in bass tournaments. Head still in hinder parts...

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Most people angling for this shared resource enjoy catching big fish. It takes a walleye 10-20 years to get really big. Sending 100 boats into prime spawning grounds on one of the only water bodies in the state that has successful natural reproduction for walleyes immediately following the spawn with the express purpose of catching and killing for sport as many really big fish as possible is not good for the sport, the fishery, or table fare.

It's not a resource you can put on the shelf forever. It should absolutely be enjoyed but not needlessly exploited.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I tuned in a few minutes to H2H on the detroit river. Major league fishing walleye style. Strong marketing done on the show. Some good things about the show and some bad. Some good anglers to watch. I am not into all plastic but whatever. Of course always a northern sparkle head that has to be a bonehead to the marshal. Southern boys got this sport down -- You dont have an am to lose your fish with the net --- just relax and have fun---- hopefully it takes off. I dont remember what tourney i was watching the other day ago and parsons just hammers on this guy for not netting correctly - smh.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Most people angling for this shared resource enjoy catching big fish. It takes a walleye 10-20 years to get really big. Sending 100 boats into prime spawning grounds on one of the only water bodies in the state that has successful natural reproduction for walleyes immediately following the spawn with the express purpose of catching and killing for sport as many really big fish as possible is not good for the sport, the fishery, or table fare.

It's not a resource you can put on the shelf forever. It should absolutely be enjoyed but not needlessly exploited.

If thats the case shouldnt the fishery have crashed already. How long have these tourneys been going on? Why does sd have a slot and nd does not. Maybe its time to shut all the spring fishing down if we are going to #conservation? I know plenty of guys that will chop up a 27" just as fast as a 15". The tastes different is a myth people like to say but lake erie proves that wrong every day people happily chop up 8 pounders there all the time and they taste great. Just be honest and say i hate tourneys dont hide behind the its for the resource straw man.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I can see both sides

I'm one of them unicorns with special abilities

emphasis on "special"

Last edited:

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Can't wait! see you there Sluggo. If you think i'm out there hammering 28's all day only to release them back to their death, you think way too highly of me and my abilities as a tournament angler. Last weekend I caught 7 very excited males that hit the cutting board and one chunky 26 that got a quick photo session and went swimming.

Wags2.0

★★★★★ Legendary Member
20-24" walleyes are the best eating. Change my mind

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
The Big Muddy has never bothered me, its been going on forever. However I do think its a good step to release the fish especially since the weigh in is right at the river. I think it has also become pretty common place among the recreational anglers to release the 20"+ fish in the spring.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
The Big Muddy has never bothered me, its been going on forever.

Tournaments in general shouldn't be held at the peak times for any given venue. Tournaments should be held when the fishing is tough in a given place. Bismarck-based Mo river walleye tournaments should be held in August if the goal of tournament fishing is to promote and pass on Angler Skill/knowledge.

This weekend's tournaments should be on a line from no further W than Sakakawea State Park E to Hwy 83 or on the Mo river from the Washburn ramp up to the dam.

Show people what's possible where/when "everyone knows" it's tough catching.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
If thats the case shouldnt the fishery have crashed already. How long have these tourneys been going on? Why does sd have a slot and nd does not. Maybe its time to shut all the spring fishing down if we are going to #conservation? I know plenty of guys that will chop up a 27" just as fast as a 15". The tastes different is a myth people like to say but lake erie proves that wrong every day people happily chop up 8 pounders there all the time and they taste great. Just be honest and say i hate tourneys dont hide behind the its for the resource straw man.

The 27 inch 7.3 lber I cleaned last Saturday tasted GREAT!! Buddy said he was going to put it on his office wall but when we got home, changed his mind. Oh well. Can't wait to dig in again tonight as we're getting two big meals for 2 people from just 3 fish!

I'm glad they are releasing the fish for the Big Muddy and I hope most of them live.

- - - Updated - - -

Tournaments in general shouldn't be held at the peak times for any given venue. Tournaments should be held when the fishing is tough in a given place. Bismarck-based Mo river walleye tournaments should be held in August if the goal of tournament fishing is to promote and pass on Angler Skill/knowledge.

This weekend's tournaments should be on a line from no further W than Sakakawea State Park E to Hwy 83 or on the Mo river from the Washburn ramp up to the dam.

Show people what's possible where/when "everyone knows" it's tough catching.

I half ways agree with you.....PRO TOURNAMENTS should be during down months. Local tournaments don't bother me as most guys would be out there anyway tourney or no.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 115
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74