Big Muddy

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
With anything in life, balance is the key. Too many tournaments are bad IMO, and can lead to bad things that have all been brought up time and time again. But don't forget that the boat manufactures have been making "walleye boats" now for 25 years, due in part the "Pro" tournaments. There have been great advances in electronics and baits and many other products to help us all out and tournaments can claim SOME of the credit.

For some local communities the annual fishing tournament is a celebration and a major fundraiser for the local group hosting it. The "Braggen Rights" out weigh the $$ IMO. I just hope "tournament guys" can see that too many of them in one area can be bad. Those guys that travel circuits, and hit up tournaments 6 or more times a summer, I hope aren't missing out on family activities. I know some husband wife teams that hit the OAHE circuit, and more power to them. But I know there are some younger fellas out there that have little guys that spending a lot of time away from the family.

RPNLPS

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have fished tournaments over many states and different body’s of water for the last 30 years while living in Nebraska on much smaller lakes, the largest one will fit in some of the bays on massive body’s of water such as Sakakawea, Oahe, Devil’s, Fort Peck.
I don’t know as if it could be done on these body’s of water because of there vastness but they did creel surveys to estimate the population of walleye in Nebraska lakes. The largest lake at its best they estimated 10 million walleyes in the late 90’s and it was amazing! Over the years it’s been a pig factory even so some years it’s hard to catch and some years it’s easy. Every body of water goes through changing cycle’s, sure it gets tough on all of them at times it’s inevitable.
Nature takes care of that.
Even in that Nebraska lake I believe there are many fish in there over the years that have never even seen a lure! If that gives you a perspective of what goes on up here I’d say there’s more walleye within a 5 hour drive of Bismarck any direction you want to go maybe in the trillions, but it’s this time of year they are herded into prime areas that they are easily caught or snagged! No mater how many boats there are still untouched spawning areas on these massive body’s of water and there is a lot more people who fish in this part of the country! From my short time living here for last 3 years I haven’t had any problem catching fish every day I’ve been out. I’m a die hard jig fisherman and make all my own jigs to catch these fish all year round and never use live bait.
It’s the hunting down and finding the nooks and crannies they eat in and the exploration of new water not the I’m the guy catching all limits and in the pack of boats guy. The one over 22 inch with a four fish limit of under’s has done nothing but do good in Nebraska. Freezer packing is dumb ass behavior these days. Catch what you can eat in a day or two and turn the rest back and definitely turn the big fish back unless you decide to put it on the wall. I’ve killed a few big eyes and seen some killed as well over the years, it’s just going to happen. Eating big walleye is like eating old grandma pussy! Like chewing on an ol catchers mitt. Keep that in mind and you will turn them back to do there thing that keeps them big fish helping out the population and feel great about what you’ve done! Two 20 inch walleye will feed 3 people! Big places like Erie just have a large population of big fish so that’s your only option. Tournaments or not, won’t change anything when fishing is good the only way to keep it good is to be mindful of what you want the fishing to be in the future. I’m all for the catch record release format and I’m also for the one man in a boat format that bass is doing it’s one guy not a team it makes things more challenging which it should be! It’s a sport to enjoy or be professional about. Tight lines and fish on! Were all in this together.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have fished tournaments over many states and different body’s of water for the last 30 years while living in Nebraska on much smaller lakes, the largest one will fit in some of the bays on massive body’s of water such as Sakakawea, Oahe, Devil’s, Fort Peck.
I don’t know as if it could be done on these body’s of water because of there vastness but they did creel surveys to estimate the population of walleye in Nebraska lakes. The largest lake at its best they estimated 10 million walleyes in the late 90’s and it was amazing! Over the years it’s been a pig factory even so some years it’s hard to catch and some years it’s easy. Every body of water goes through changing cycle’s, sure it gets tough on all of them at times it’s inevitable.
Even in that Nebraska lake I believe there are many fish in there over the years that have never even seen a lure! If that gives you a perspective of what goes on up here I’d say there’s more walleye within a 5 hour drive of Bismarck any direction you want to go maybe in the trillions, but it’s this time of year they are herded into prime areas that they are easily caught or snagged! No mater how many boats there are still untouched spawning areas on these massive body’s of water and there is a lot more people who fish in this part of the country! From my short time living here for last 3 years I haven’t had any problem catching fish every day I’ve been out. I’m a die hard jig fisherman and make all my own jigs to catch these fish all year round and never use live bait.
It’s the hunting down and finding the nooks and crannies they eat in and the exploration of new water not the I’m the guy catching all limits and in the pack of boats guy. The one over 22 inch with a four fish limit of under’s has done nothing but do good in Nebraska. Freezer packing is dumb ass behavior these days. Catch what you can eat in a day or two and turn the rest back and definitely turn the big fish back unless you decide to put it on the wall. I’ve killed a few big eyes and seen some killed as well over the years, it’s just going to happen. Eating big walleye is like eating old grandma pussy! Like chewing on an ol catchers mitt. Keep that in mind and you will turn them back to do there thing that keeps them big fish helping out the population and feel great about what you’ve done! Two 20 inch walleye will feed 3 people! Big places like Erie just have a large population of big fish so that’s your only option. Tournaments or not, won’t change anything when fishing is good the only way to keep it good is to be mindful of what you want the fishing to be in the future. I’m all for the catch record release format and I’m also for the one man in a boat format that bass is doing it’s one guy not a team it makes things more challenging which it should be! It’s a sport to enjoy or be professional about. Tight lines and fish on! Were all in this together.

That's TOTAL BULLSHIIIT!! I just ate a fresh 7 LB fish that was SOOOOOOO TASTY I'd take it over a perfect 16 incher!! I'm curious...just at what length does the tastiest fish in the country turn in to total shit?

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
He's right. Anything over 16" tastes like garbage. You really really really should release everything over 16"

Thanks everybody. If we all work together we can increase the size and numbers of walleyes I catch.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
I believe the size and taste of a walleye is directly related to the body of water it comes from and the time of year. Trimming fillets is also important. A few winters back, I was hammering nice walleyes out of a smaller lake. Those walleyes were absolutely disgusting to eat. I was bummed out about it.

- - - Updated - - -

“freezer packing” as you referred to it as is perfectly legal and I see absolutely nothing wrong with it. Not all fishermen get to fish year round but want to enjoy fish throughout the year. Eat what you keep and go on about your business.

MarbleEyez

Founding Member
Founding Member
There is nothing wrong with keeping fish and vac-sealing and freezing them. We'll eat fish at different times of the year and give some away to family and friends around Lent time.

Unfortunately I'm one of those guys that feels guilty and always goes to work.

RPNLPS

★★★★★ Legendary Member
That's TOTAL BULLSHIIIT!! I just ate a fresh 7 LB fish that was SOOOOOOO TASTY I'd take it over a perfect 16 incher!! I'm curious...just at what length does the tastiest fish in the country turn in to total shit?

Totally a joke I tell people that just to make them mindful, to each there own! Do what you want I do!

And the tastiest fish is about a 2 inch nugget breaded to your desire and put in your mouth.

- - - Updated - - -

I believe the size and taste of a walleye is directly related to the body of water it comes from and the time of year. Trimming fillets is also important. A few winters back, I was hammering nice walleyes out of a smaller lake. Those walleyes were absolutely disgusting to eat. I was bummed out about it.

- - - Updated - - -

“freezer packing” as you referred to it as is perfectly legal and I see absolutely nothing wrong with it. Not all fishermen get to fish year round but want to enjoy fish throughout the year. Eat what you keep and go on about your business.

Do what you do they can all bitch about it but there’s not a dam thing they can do

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

This is true!

You do you! I’m spoiled if I want to eat them I go catch them I’ll keep more if I’m going to have a fish fry at some point

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah I never or very very rarely freeze fish. And if I ever do freeze any, I try to eat it within a couple months. I have a long list of people that are always asking for fresh walleye.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
When a fish enters my freezer, it becomes someone else's food.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Maybe my taste buds are shot, but walleye freeze and thaw just fine.

Like most other fish, they can be marginal eating under the right conditions, warm water with lots of algae is one of them. The other is the dark meat along the lateral line. Catch big fish from cold water, remove the lateral line and reddish-brown meat, and enjoy. I vacuum seal all my fish and I've eaten fish that were lost in the deep end of the freezer for up to 2 years and tasted just like they would have if they were put in the fridge yesterday.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have for 30+ years put my fish fillets in a quart or gallon sized plastic zip lock and fill it the rest of the way with water. Freeze them in a freezer burn proof ice block. When the time comes I place in the sink and let the room thaw the block, usually by supper time if taken out at my usual 5 am wake and bake time.

Taste the exact same as the ones I eat fresh caught.

I also keep all eyes between 13.5 inch up to 22 inch, they all poop the same

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have for 30+ years put my fish fillets in a quart or gallon sized plastic zip lock and fill it the rest of the way with water. Freeze them in a freezer burn proof ice block. When the time comes I place in the sink and let the room thaw the block, usually by supper time if taken out at my usual 5 am wake and bake time.

Taste the exact same as the ones I eat fresh caught.

I also keep all eyes between 13.5 inch up to 22 inch, they all poop the same

It's not the flavor, it's the texture.

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Some of my fish are frozen before I even get them cleaned.

Also, 32.24lbs is my guess for winning weight for the Big Muddy.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would like to know more about eating old gramma pu$$y and catchers mitts.

How does one become a connoisseur of these things?

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I tell people "I don't like FISH, but I love WALLEYE" I can't stand that fishy taste or smell. Never do I order a fish sandwich at a fast food joint or ever go to a Long John Silver's type restaurant. I also never ever buy fish sticks or frozen fish from the store. I've down right spoiled my wife. I don't dare even sneak a piece a bass or anything in the same frying pan as her walleye.

Some said something about the texture a few posts back, and I can agree. I only wash off my fillets and then dry them. I do not soak them in anything except a little fresh water while cleaning them. They turn mushy IMO if soaked. They crisp up and stay nice and firm and taste oh so good when fresh. I would be able to tell if it was frozen for over a couple weeks no matter how you do it. Unless you bread the shit out of it so that you can only taste the breading, but then what is the point?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 115
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74