Bologna

bilbo

Honored Member
Also good is the pickle and/or olive loaf.

Or head cheese. One thing I remember having a lot when I was young is jellied beef. It was chopped up roast beef in aspic, similar to head cheese. But I haven't been able to find it as an adult much.

I might have to make a trip to Carrington. If you slice the big bologna chubs into 1/2" slices and then season & smoke them it's amazing. The ring bologna works too but as noted, not as easy to make sandwiches with.

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member

Or head cheese. One thing I remember having a lot when I was young is jellied beef. It was chopped up roast beef in aspic, similar to head cheese. But I haven't been able to find it as an adult much.

I might have to make a trip to Carrington. If you slice the big bologna chubs into 1/2" slices and then season & smoke them it's amazing. The ring bologna works too but as noted, not as easy to make sandwiches with.

Barton's makes a bologna with olives in it too...I've never smoked bologna yet, but I will slice it and fry it up on the griddle for various different sandwiches. Grilled cheese and bologna dipped in ketchup, fricken delicious.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Barton's makes a bologna with olives in it too...I've never smoked bologna yet, but I will slice it and fry it up on the griddle for various different sandwiches. Grilled cheese and bologna dipped in ketchup, fricken delicious.
Heinz ketchup specifically, Hunts or other generic swill is not worth the effort

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
Heinz ketchup specifically, Hunts or other generic swill is not worth the effort

You have to cringe knowing how much money you were throwing at the hands of John Kerry... :;:rockit

Last edited:

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
You have to cringe knowing how much money you were throwing at the hands of John Kerry... :;:rockit
Yes,
I also use an Iphone, and hate the entire premise of apple... so it turns out my convictions are weak.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Has anyone eaten blood sausage ? My Folks used to make it when I was a kid , I didn't like it . Also remember some brown cheese that came in a block about the size of Velveeta that tasted bad. They talked about head cheese but I don't remember them making it.

- - - Updated - - -

I'll stick with my Cloverdale tangy .

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Usinger's sell Jellied Pot Roast Beef Loaf, good stuff

- - - Updated - - -

Mom and Dad would make Blood Sausage it was kinda like a pudding, they would put it in white cloth bags Mom would sew, then they would boil it and freeze it, when they wanted some they would cut the bag open and cut it like summersasuage and fry it,tasted just like the fried blood from Pork Chops, remember Mom making head cheese, she would have a pigs head cut into 4 pieces and cook it to get the meat off it and made it like chicken spread, it was really good to.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Came home from school and the kitchen smelled oh so good, opened up the big wood cookstove door and it was right out of a horror movie cause there was a pigs head, hide off but the eyes still in it. Never have been able to eat head cheese because of that implanted in my brain.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I grew up without these horrific experiences, must have been my privilege.

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
....has a second name, its M-A-Y-E-R, Oh how I love to eat it everyyydaayyyy, if you ask me why, I'll say, its.,,,B-O-L-O-G-N-A

Last edited:

bilbo

Honored Member
Usinger's sell Jellied Pot Roast Beef Loaf, good stuff

QUOTE]

I will have to keep my eye out for that, thanks for the tip! I used to pack those sandwiches for lunch and by noon they were warmed up a little bit. Fing delicious.

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
Haha work on it [MENTION=361]Mort[/MENTION]...you’re almost there;:;rofl:;:duel

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Now fresh headcheese is where it’s at. Mustard, sliced onion, and horseradish sauce, on wheat bread. I’ll fight you hard for a sammich like that.

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don’t mind a meatier head cheese. My old man and some of my uncles like the really gelatinous stuff.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member

L and MMeats in grand forks makes a really good garlic head cheese that doesn’t have any jelly to it. I don’t know I would eat normal head cheese but this stuff is more of a bologna or summer sausage. L and M meats is a must stop!

- - - Updated - - -

Has anyone eaten blood sausage ? My Folks used to make it when I was a kid , I didn't like it . Also remember some brown cheese that came in a block about the size of Velveeta that tasted bad. They talked about head cheese but I don't remember them making it.

- - - Updated - - -

I'll stick with my Cloverdale tangy .

Your post got me wanting a good ole cloverdale sandwich with white bread, Hellman’s Mayo ( no other Mayo comes close), American cheese, and original tangy. So good!

Finally found some cloverdale summer sausage in WY so I had to buy it. They also had a pepper jack and a beef one but I stuck with the original, not sure if the others are as good.

- - - Updated - - -

I don’t mind a meatier head cheese. My old man and some of my uncles like the really gelatinous stuff.

Try the garlic head cheese if you get a chance. It’s ground fine like a summer sausage but same ingredients.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74