Old Ammo

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
What's the best way to dispose of old ammo that you don't feel comfortable shooting? I have 20-30 shotgun rounds that came home with me when we cleaned out my grandparents' house a few years ago that are probably 30+ years old. I shot a couple last fall and one came apart on firing, with the hull getting stuck in my barrel.

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
If you're really worried about throwing them in the trash, you could cut open the hull and empty the shot/wad/powder before tossing.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
cut them in half at the wad using a bolt cutter

boil them before throwing them away

put them in the neighbor's trash

chip the primer out with a tiny chisel - real careful like ;)

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
They will work if you use an old shotgun. db

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Drill some holes in a tree you want to get rid of and target practice with your 22 at a safe distance. :;: Dont ask me how I know. LB

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Drill some holes in a tree you want to get rid of and target practice with your 22 at a safe distance. :;: Dont ask me how I know. LB
Does that really work? I have some old shotgun ammo from my grandpa that got wet and rusted, using them as targets sounds fun !

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Took some old shotgun shells, paper so tells you how old they were. Me and my cousins used bb guns and they would pop. Was fun until one of the cousins got a shotgun bb in the leg. Then he couldn't keep his mouth shut and then the rest is history. That was 60 years ago. LB

Last edited:

USMCDI

Founding Member
Founding Member
Whatever you do, don't throw them in the burn pit and forget about them when you burn a metric shit ton of other stuff like trees, tires and other stuff, they didn't melt and cooked off for about 30 minutes sending shit all over the place. I threw in two boxes of rusty shells in the summer, waited until winter for the annual "get rid of tires and other farm shit" fire, 5 beers deep watching the fire like a pyro and you'll have a moment of clarity real quick, it was kind of fun.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd take them apart and store the shot in a plastic water bottle and use the powder for wood burning art work on a board or a rock with grandkids and ignite it with a magnifying glass . I used them to load cannons made from bicycle spokes and spark plugs when I was a kid but I wouldn't advise that, I have scars and stories to prove it .

- - - Updated - - -

And my old Ivar Johnson break open single shot that I shot arrows with in a shotgun hull . I hit the yard pole at about 50 yards once about half way up. It took me quite a few shots with the old 22 with open sights to get rid of the evidence. The wooden arrows would corkscrew and not very accurate. The good old days.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Whatever you do, don't throw them in the burn pit and forget about them when you burn a metric shit ton of other stuff like trees, tires and other stuff, they didn't melt and cooked off for about 30 minutes sending shit all over the place. I threw in two boxes of rusty shells in the summer, waited until winter for the annual "get rid of tires and other farm shit" fire, 5 beers deep watching the fire like a pyro and you'll have a moment of clarity real quick, it was kind of fun.

Ooorahh!

Good times....

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I'd take them apart and store the shot in a plastic water bottle and use the powder for wood burning art work on a board or a rock with grandkids and ignite it with a magnifying glass . I used them to load cannons made from bicycle spokes and spark plugs when I was a kid but I wouldn't advise that, I have scars and stories to prove it .

- - - Updated - - -

And my old Ivar Johnson break open single shot that I shot arrows with in a shotgun hull . I hit the yard pole at about 50 yards once about half way up. It took me quite a few shots with the old 22 with open sights to get rid of the evidence. The wooden arrows would corkscrew and not very accurate. The good old days.
Who dream's up that shit? Oh yeah I did the samething and still alive, Dont understand why some days after counting the scars. Quit counting stiches when I hit 200. Between snowmobile (highest count) motor cycle, farm equipment constuction work they really add up in your youth. Now body fixing is starting to add uo. LB

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Who dream's up that shit? Oh yeah I did the samething and still alive, Dont understand why some days after counting the scars. Quit counting stiches when I hit 200. Between snowmobile (highest count) motor cycle, farm equipment constuction work they really add up in your youth. Now body fixing is starting to add uo. LB

Haha, yep growing pains and 9 lives are a real thing. You beat me at getting shotgun shells to go off, My BB gun was wore out by the time I thought of it. I even moved in closer and oiled my BB gun with the same results then I gave up , thankfully.

Is it possible that you maybe didn't have many toys either when you were a kid and probably took the ones that you did have apart to see how and why they worked and then made something else out of them ?

Dentist from Glenboro Manitoba, Dr Hurtin took an X ray of my tooth and got a picture of this perfectly round dot and couldn't figure out what it was. He an my dad laughed like hell when I told him the story how the BB ended up in my lip because a spark plug got hot so I threw it up in the air and caught it and it went bang.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 161
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76