Where to find fish!

Alex6601

Hello! Since arriving in ND 2 years ago I have been trying to figure out fishing patterns as it relates to season and water temperature.

What I am trying to figure out is when and how to expect certain species to be accessible from shore.

Also I have not caught any bass, are they not accessible from shore or have I just not located a decent spot for them?

I have caught northern pike, walleye, channel cat, bluegill, common carp, sturgeon, bullhead, shiners (golden eye), and what I believe to be freshwater drum.

What are your favorite baits for certain species. Anyway thank you for any info you are willing to share! Tight lines everyone!

Lapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not a lot of bass in this section of the River. I don’t think I’ve ever caught one. The canals between the chain lakes up on New Johns, Nelson Lake, Audoban are all pretty good bass spots.

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I'll echo the McClusky Canal for smallies, still miss that hidden gem I used to visit 4-5 times/week.

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Sheyenne river by Valley City is good for smallies. Just make sure you eat them....

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Dead Colt Creek by Lisbon for large mouth bass, crappies and sunfish too.

sierra1995

Founding Member
Founding Member
i caught a largemouth just north of fox island boat ramp about 10 years ago. And i think the badlands bass bandits group has a bass tournament on the river from time to time, targeting the marinas in and around bismarck/mandan. Hopefully a member of them is on here and give some insight.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
South of Bismarck on the Missouri, one can fish for Walleye from shore with some success.

Alex6601

I am in Bismarck, thanks for the reply and any info you can offer.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for all of the replies!

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
You can find LM bass out at McDowell Dam east of Bismarck. And I think they are also plentiful in Sweet Briar and Crown Butte.

As far as catching them, I dunno...I don't chase them anymore.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75