Old Musky

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
From Iowa's Department of Natural Resources. Pretty cool.

Say hello and happy 25th birthday to the oldest known female muskie in Iowa.

Originally netted and fitted with a PIT tag on April 24, 2001, this fish - that had been freeze branded to identify her as part of the 1996 year class - was recaptured (and again released) this spring as part of our broodstock collection efforts. That makes her the oldest known female muskellunge reported in Iowa, and it also means she avoided 1,996 net sets since 2001!

muskieold.jpg

Last edited:

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Say hello and happy 25th birthday to the oldest known female muskie in Iowa!

Originally netted and fitted with a PIT tag on April 24, 2001, this fish - that had been freeze branded to identify her as part of the 1996 year class - was recaptured (and again released) this spring as part of our broodstock collection efforts. That makes her the oldest known female muskellunge reported in Iowa, and it also means she avoided 1,996 net sets since 2001!

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
Although I hate seeing critters getting shot that have had human hands on them (tagged/collored), I kinda dig when the do fish studies:cool:

Wonder how many lines she snapped over the years?

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Was she in a brood-pond and escaped the net that many years or in a lake/river that G&F nets for brood-stock?

- - - Updated - - -

Too old to pickle?

Extra-strength Vinegar.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
LOL you guyz stop it ,you'll get ole MM all fired -up talking about pickling.knew someone would chime in like usual.lol made my face smile.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh for the masked rep clown I find some of these comments amusing,from the usual posters that stir things up,its all in fun so chill,yes I'm a simpleton I admitt it,what''s your excuse for being a masked clown? momma's boy maybe? dolling out neg reps.

Last edited:

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
HAHA, I know that every musky post I make there will be comments about pickling and eating walleyes. I don't even comment now...not worth the effort.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
HAHA, I know that every musky post I make there will be comments about pickling and eating walleyes. I don't even comment now...not worth the effort.

I dig your musky posts. I really do.

Honestly, I like to EAT walleye, but I often toss them back. In that case, I really should be fishing for something that fights better than a walleye.

Like pike, carp, bass..

Mr. Stevenson

★★★★★ Legendary Member
What strikes me is the age compared to size. It's a nice fish but not a slunger. How old would a 50in be?!

ORCUS DEMENS

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hey I thought this thread was about a new cologne guaranteed to make fish jump in your boat. Agree the fish seems small for age.

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
What strikes me is the age compared to size. It's a nice fish but not a slunger. How old would a 50in be?!

Hey I thought this thread was about a new cologne guaranteed to make fish jump in your boat. Agree the fish seems small for age.

I'm sure it all has to do with genetics and what they have to eat. Leach Lake strain fish like they stock in Minnesota grow very large, and if they have cisco/whitefish to eat that makes a difference as well. A 50 inch fish in Minnesota is somewhere in the 20 year-old range.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
my first thought was also that the fish didn't appear that big for the age. Then I thought, "we're used to looking at pictures of fish and fishermen, or is it persons?" with arms extended and the fish way out in front of the holder.

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
bleed it out and throw overboard :;:sorry

Eat shit. There, I had to comment on that one.

- - - Updated - - -

You mean holding it out like this, LOL. I did this on purpose for fun using the GoPro.

G0049695.jpg

G0049664.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Here's my longest fish I ever caught, 51 3/4. Waiting for the magical 52 mark to get a replica made.

DSC02732a.jpg

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
ATA boy MM stand your ground....haha,nice critter 3rd pic,surprised so slender but very beautiful fish,looks like a leech lake strain.

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks snow. Maybe this was the 51 3/4...can't remember now. Both are spring fish, so yeah, not very girthy. Leach Lake strain for sure, pretty much fish Detroit Lakes mainly.

IMG_8155.jpg

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79