Electronics, too much?

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
721182B0-9543-41D1-85CF-928B15F75129.jpg
I saw an interesting topic on how electronics are taking the fishing out of fishing. Are we going to hit a point where the electronics are just too much, and will end up regulated? Are we already there?

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I need to find more fishermen with deep pockets, as I hear some guys have 2-3 boats, and drink fancier beer than my Ice Cold Busch Lights.
Steven Cooke sounds like a jealous little bitch.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
How much more further can technology go? Already have high quality underwater cameras and "Live Look" sonar. What else can be offered?

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
How much more further can technology go? Already have high quality underwater cameras and "Live Look" sonar. What else can be offered?

"Live" sonar can improve dramatically as far as clarity, distance, 3D, etc. It will get better as cost comes down.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
"Live" sonar can improve dramatically as far as clarity, distance, 3D, etc. It will get better as cost comes down.

We assume cost will come down, but if they continue to add "features", prices will continue to go up...just like smart phones!

wjschmaltz

★★★★★ Legendary Member
It is interesting to consider I can’t use a drone, cellular trail cam, or thermal scope for hunting but I can drill holes in the ice and drop a camera down and/or use a sonar to find fish in real time. Just kinda challenges a guys thoughts on the subject why it’s OK for fish but you’re “unethical” when similar technology applied to hunting.

I cant afford much beyond 10 year old trail cams and the fish finder that has the little goldfish on screen and beeps so I don’t really care. Just adding some perspective

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member

When I worked for Scheels in the late '90's the PinPoint electric trolling motors and linked graphs were just coming onto the market. Someone came in to give us a run-through on them one evening talking about following structures, shorelines, etc. I asked him right then when he thought they'd invent a "Fish Chase" mode, where you graph a big mark and chase that mark until you catch it.

I don't recall that the trainer thought that was nearly as funny as the rest of us did.

So, to answer your question I quoted ndfinfan, I'm still waiting for a "Fish Chase" mode on the motor/finder combo.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
We assume cost will come down, but if they continue to add "features", prices will continue to go up...just like smart phones!

There are already super clear live sonars out there. You have to shell out $30,000-40,000 or more for them though. That's what I meant about cost coming down.

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.maverickdrone.com/products/3d-multibeam-sonar

You can pick up the "cheap" one up for a mere $27,950 or shell out $45,500 for the "good" one:).

Last edited:

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
How about a mini submarine with camera and harpoon. Remote control with your smart phone. Carp and suckers only, no game fish right.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm not sure how much "better" they can get. I mean, TV resolutions keep going up, but I can't tell the difference. I'm sure fishing electronics will be the same. They'll get better, more detailed, more power, etc. etc. But the biggest factor will be price. No different than flashers for ice fishing. Basics of those are so affordable now anyone can get one and be ice fishing. My guess is in 10-20 years, the technology for "basic" live-scope packages and manufacturing will be at a point where it's almost standard on boats.

To me, that would be a tipping point.

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Screw all of these electronics. I go fishing because I enjoy it. If I catch my limit or not doesn’t matter to me, it’s just being out and away from life for a few hours. We turned into soft cake eaters with electronics, some guys won’t even fish if they don’t have side or down imaging.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
It would be nice if trailer lighting worked as they should for longer time periods. THAT would be the best thing since sliced bread.:cool:

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fish specie identification.

Back in the 90s, the old boat I had came with an Eagle depthfinder. Damned if it wouldn't tell you if you were looking at a pike, paddlefish, or a walleye/perch type bodied fish.

Have never run across it since then, but it had me believing.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Screw all of these electronics. I go fishing because I enjoy it. If I catch my limit or not doesn’t matter to me, it’s just being out and away from life for a few hours. We turned into soft cake eaters with electronics, some guys won’t even fish if they don’t have side or down imaging.

This. . . everyone thinks it is essential to "have to" catch a limit. I personally could give a crap whether I caught a limit or not. I am in it for the sport of it.

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
$100k fun getter, $20k worth of graphs, talons/power-poles, rods, reels, tackle, and a $75k pile of depreciating scrap of metal still amazes me. Tons of guys be backing the worth of their homes at the ramp. Salute!

Last edited:

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member

I thought HD sonar was all a guy would need. Finally ponied up to a side imaging unit with a 9” screen. Am I going to catch more fish? Maybe I won’t stay on a spot longer than I need to I guess. I think too many electronics takes the fun out of it too.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 134
  • This month: 118
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75