The Supreme Court announced Monday that it will decide a core gun rights issue

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
Whether the Second Amendment requires states to give permits to law-abiding citizens to carry concealed weapons.
The Second Amendment protects “the right to keep and bear arms.” The Supreme Court held in its 2008 landmark decision District of Columbia v. Heller that the Second Amendment guarantees that right for private citizens. In its 2010 follow-up case McDonald v. City of Chicago the Court held that the right to bear arms applies against state and local governments the same way it does the federal government.
But both of those cases involved a law-abiding citizen who wanted to keep a single handgun in his home for personal protection, which would be the absolute floor of what the Second Amendment could possibly provide. It left all other issues for future cases as to how far the right to keep and bear arms extends.
Perhaps the most heavily debated follow up issue is what a citizen’s Second Amendment rights are when he leaves his home. Given the popularity of concealed carry permits, one of the questions concerns carrying weapons as people go about their daily lives.
Most states provide permits to all qualified applicants. However, a few states claim the authority to require citizens to prove special circumstances to qualify for a permit, such as having an abusive ex-spouse or being a prosecutor who fears retaliation from the criminals he is prosecuting.
New York has such restrictions. In Monday’s order, the justices granted review in a constitutional challenge to New York’s law, with the petition arguing that the Second Amendment entitles them to concealed-carry permits for purposes of general self-defense only, without any special circumstances.
Second Amendment supporters have been trying for more than a decade to get the High Court to weigh in on this issue. The Court has repeatedly denied petitions from various challengers. Given both Heller and McDonald were 5-4 decisions, experts suspected that moderate Justice Anthony Kennedy and moderate-conservative Chief Justice John Roberts were the reasons gun-rights supporters did not have the votes to tackle this issue.
The is the first major petition on the Second Amendment to be considered since Justice Amy Coney Barrett was confirmed to the seat formerly held by Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg. Evidently Second Amendment supporters now at least have support from the necessary four justices to grant review, though it is not yet clear whether they have the additional support for five votes to prevail in the case.
Former U.S. Solicitor General Paul Clement is representing the challengers. Clement also argued before the Court in the Heller and McDonald cases, and is regarded as one of the top litigators in the nation on this issue.
The Biden Administration has not yet expressed a view on the case. It will likely be argued late this year, with a decision expected by June 2022.
The case is New York Rifle & Pistol Association v. Corlett, No. 20-843 in the Supreme Court of the United States.

TFX 186

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I wouldn't wager or dare to guess anything with the SCOTUS. My confidence level in the POTUS, any courts in the USA, CIA, FBI and all other government agencies is absolutely SHIT.................. Sorry for the negativity.

Fricken Fish On!

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
This will be an interesting case. The court will only address the issue in front of them and is careful not to rule on something bigger than the direct effects of the case. The one thing I've read about the Heller case is that it leaves a lot of openings for restrictions that can be upheld in the 2nd Amendment. From my reading, certain people can be kept from having guns (felons, mentally ill, etc.), certain types of guns can be banned, and that concealed carry is not necessarily a guarantee. If you want some good reading, looking up "dangerous and unusual weapons" and the Supreme Court. This will be a good indication of where the court stands on things.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I think they took this case because it will not cause themselves too much backlash from the radical left when they overturn it.

It is not constitutional to let some gain conceal permits and others not. It’s not like only security for politicians is the only people who can get the permits. Personal protection should not be about how rich or famous you are.....

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
This one should be interesting also.
https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/tee...supreme-court-clash-schools/story?id=76396105

The SC has been punting on significant issues for so long, its nice to see them doing something..

"This is the first time that the U.S. Supreme Court is going to decide whether the rules that apply to kids when they're in school also apply to their speech when they are outside of school," said Sara Rose, an American Civil Liberties Union attorney defending Levy in the case.

Last edited:

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
The entire premise is flawed. I don't need a "permit" to exercise a RIGHT. I need a permit to engage in a privilege.

Statue of Liberty sized Trojan horse. Same goes for "National/Federal Concealed Carry Permit".

Wags2.0

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Josh Brolin I'm not.

Josh Brolin is a limp wristed democrat who makes money off using guns in movies while proclaiming citizens of the US shouldnt be allowed to own them. It was unfortunate when i learned this. Big fan of sicario.

- - - Updated - - -

Liam Neeson can suck a fart too for the same reasons.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
This case is a lot like the scene in the movie Tombstone when he tries to ban having guns in town. "We're not saying you can't own a gun. We're not saying you can't carry a gun. We're just saying you can't carry a concealed gun out of your house". I've done a lot of research on this and as I said above, the 2nd Amendment isn't limitless. There are good and reasonable restrictions that are placed, such as those who have mental illness can't have one. But this is a sketchy line to walk, if it passes could it lead to more restriction? Are we going to only be allowed to have guns in our homes? The opinions of the court will be fascinating to read. And we have about as much control over it as we do the sun coming up.

Mr. Stevenson

★★★★★ Legendary Member
It's illegal to assault, rob and murder. My last true number in memory is 30,000 applicable gun laws...which of these laws prevented a gd thing? I'm beginning to "believe" these reported mass shootings are false as they mostly occur in gun free zones.

FWIW Greg Gutfeld is now on with Julie Banderas. She is a heartthrob and GG's new show is good shit.

That is all.

Last edited:

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Drunk driving is illegal, as is shitting on the floor of the local library, however these things continue to happen. Its like more laws should stop it, but it doesn't.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Josh Brolin is a limp wristed democrat who makes money off using guns in movies while proclaiming citizens of the US shouldnt be allowed to own them. It was unfortunate when i learned this. Big fan of sicario.

interesting wags,never knew,also a fan of sicario,great flick.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Drunk driving is illegal, as is shitting on the floor of the local library, however these things continue to happen. Its like more laws should stop it, but it doesn't.

Thanx jr you have a knack for making us understand things.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 115
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74