Electronic Posting

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
In other words it will get worse. We often see a lot of chest thumping, but the chances of someone actually doing anything is about zero. The only chance is to start an organization that represents us. An organization that represents hunters not the tree hugger crowd.

I'd sure hope some of the hunter-centric organizations out there (i.e. Delta Waterfowl, Pheasants Forever, etc.) would have our backs. But I guess time will time.

I certainly don't have quite as devious a doom-and-gloom outlook as you do. Then again, I hunt more PLOTS and WPA/WMAs than anything the past few years. Saves a lot of headache.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
So what about public land? Who do I call so I can kiss-ass to hunt. Not happening in whats left of my hunting years. LB

If its public land you still have to ask some one? Down here if its public you just go hunting with no worries other than maybe the sconis lofting some errant shot your way

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
If its public land you still have to ask some one?
Maybe sate land in South Dakota, but you don't have to ask anyone to hunt federal land. I got back Saturday from two weeks in Utah. We camped on BLM and it was great. I put an extra 30 gal freshwater tank in the back of my truck, two 125 amp AGM batteries and a 200 watt solar panel. That worked so well Im ordering 400 watt. Run everything but the air conditioner with a 2200 watt inverter.
We need to send a North Dakota rancher down there to teach them how to care for their cattle. Even on the banks of the Colorado River they have resorted to eating sage and rabbit brush to stay alive. They need to buy some hay to get through the drought or at least until the irrigated alfalfa gets going.
We camped in an area registered as a dark sky site, so I did have to get up at 4:00 am. _MG_7408A.jpg

Last edited:

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Maybe sate land in South Dakota, but you don't have to ask anyone to hunt federal land. I got back Saturday from two weeks in Utah. We camped on BLM and it was great. I put an extra 30 gal freshwater tank in the back of my truck, two 125 amp AGM batteries and a 200 watt solar panel. That worked so well Im ordering 400 watt. Run everything but the air conditioner with a 2200 watt inverter.
We need to send a North Dakota rancher down there to teach them how to care for their cattle. Even on the banks of the Colorado River they have resorted to eating sage and rabbit brush to stay alive. They need to buy some hay to get through the drought or at least until the irrigated alfalfa gets going.
We camped in an area registered as a dark sky site, so I did have to get up at 4:00 am.529089_129453860557633_904746812_n.jpg

Read his post he is the one who said you have to ask. Then one sentence later i said you dont have to down here which means south dakota.

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hunting and fishing wherever and whenever you damn well please, however, is not your right. I’m pretty sure that’s what he was getting at. I know you clarified a bit in a later post, but still...you know what he was saying.

What we have now is a result of pushing back and pushing back and pushing back at the inevitable “everything is posted” rule that we knew was eventually going into effect. You all knew it was going to happen somehow, someway, someday so I hope the fiasco you got by delaying it was worth it.

As a landowner and as a hunter, I hate what we now have with this bullshit. I hope you all (you should know if I’m talking about you or not) are happy now with the bed you helped to make. After initially agreeing with the push against this, once I saw the writing on the wall I spent the last couple years wishing we’d have gone “everything’s posted” sooner than later before turning it into a circus and I also tried making as many contacts as I could to hopefully secure some hunting access for myself and my kids. I know I made some pretty good relationships but probably not enough. I hope some of the rest of you did the same in the midst of all of your “fighting for your right” to hunt other people’s unposted property. I’m not saying I ever liked or agreed with this change, but once it became very apparent that it was definitely coming, I personally feel like options were chosen very poorly.
Nick Simonson does a lot of good work, but as he continued to lead the charge I saw this whole thing going south long ago. He kept pushing this and rallying his troops and Now we have a mess where it could have been a MUCH better result.

I know which ones of you will have smoke coming out of your ears when you read this and which ones will be nodding your heads. What do you do? Just like every other goddam thing our selfishness led us down the path of destruction. While the Stockman’s association and the big business hunting outfitters are largely to blame for this, hunters with a bone to pick about everything are guilty all the same.

Are we reading the same posts? His exact words were:
"628977...unfortunately, hunting is NOT a right, it is a privilege that can be taken away from you. A right cannot be taken away. And just for the record, I do not support electronic posting."

Nothing in this implies your "whenever and wherever you damn well please" narrative.... In fact, its quite the opposite... he specifically states it's not a right, but a privilege that can be taken away...... All I did was read the words he wrote and correct him on his statement.. You are assuming (and I'm not sure what would lead you to that assumption) that he meant something other than what he actually wrote...

Honestly anyone that doesn't have their head up their ass knows that you can't just go stomping around wherever you damned well please without permission... I say without permission because, under Current ND law, unposted land means you can legally access it for hunting and fishing purposes, which means one would have permission.... whether or not you agree with that is a topic for another discussion...

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Hmmm, too much coffee for me or something???
Petras, I agreed with the original poster and then I obviously connected some dots wrong or something when I read your post or I applied some completely incorrect connotation to it.
My bad - I f’d up with my reply to you. It’s been a long day.
Sorry about the reply and the confusion.

Paragraph 2 on down was actually not a reply to your post at all or the guy who you were replying to.
Just me ranting about something when I probably should have just walked away from the computer.
I meant what I typed but could have done without typing it. I’m now going to go get my turkey hunting shit ready for the weekend.

Last edited:

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
After initially agreeing with the push against this, once I saw the writing on the wall I spent the last couple years wishing we’d have gone “everything’s posted” sooner than later before turning it into a circus

Nick Simonson does a lot of good work, but as he continued to lead the charge I saw this whole thing going south long ago. He kept pushing this and rallying his troops and Now we have a mess where it could have been a MUCH better result.

I know which ones of you will have smoke coming out of your ears when you read this and which ones will be nodding your heads. What do you do? Just like every other goddam thing our selfishness led us down the path of destruction. While the Stockman’s association and the big business hunting outfitters are largely to blame for this, hunters with a bone to pick about everything are guilty all the same.

I disagree and I think this fall and off-season is going to have MORE hunters contacting their representatives in an effort to keep ND as it's always been.

The USA and ND are NOT a place where the minority rules just because they pitch a fit, unless we let them.

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I hunted unit 3F1 which was a demo run had my cell phone a Gramin 450T downloaded the fish and game app worked great farmers might not be to happy with ole fence line that is been up for 100 years and is wrong I could walk up to many spots on GPS to tell them that. One thing if landowners have to do this maybe the others that rent or guide on will make it harder, plus a lot of ranchers/farmers are getting up in age do they have all the wizbang electronics to figure out how or do they contact F&G for help. being from Montana years ago I still ask, put as someone says is farmer going to answer phone that much???????

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
The NDGF needs to stop fiddling around and shut the duck up.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Should have a clause if landowner doesn’t answer phone in three attempts or don’t return voicemail land is considered open

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
From a logistical point of view, I will be curious to see how they manage areas with no GIS database. We have a lot of counties in SD that have nothing on GIS and OnX tries their best to cover it. Going to need a lot of database updates, done regularly, to make it work. Add in the lack of cell service in places and it may be a crapshow. They technology is certainly there to make it work, you just need updated GIS data, cell service, and every hunter with a smart phone! Easy right?

It's hard for anyone who hasn't grown up with the open unless posted system to understand where ND folks are coming from. Growing up in SD, and hunting ND, I always felt weird just going on someone's land without asking. But, having family in SE ND, they love it. They don't care if people hunt and it keeps them from getting pestered all fall. So it can go both ways. ND would certainly take a hit in hunter numbers if a no trespassing law was adapted. That's too big of a culture shift to not force some people out. Will be curious how it works out....thanks for being the guinea pigs on the Electronic Posting!

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I hunted unit 3F1 which was a demo run had my cell phone a Gramin 450T downloaded the fish and game app worked great farmers might not be to happy with ole fence line that is been up for 100 years and is wrong I could walk up to many spots on GPS to tell them that. One thing if landowners have to do this maybe the others that rent or guide on will make it harder, plus a lot of ranchers/farmers are getting up in age do they have all the wizbang electronics to figure out how or do they contact F&G for help. being from Montana years ago I still ask, put as someone says is farmer going to answer phone that much???????

FYI, The lines in your GPS are NOT exact. They are simply digitized from county maps, these maps are not scaled.

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have said it before and will say it again, why can't the no trespass bill that they keep trying to jam down the sportsman throats. Be put on the ballet and be voted on. It could be brought up in a measure.

Last edited:

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
FYI, The lines in your GPS are NOT exact. They are simply digitized from county maps, these maps are not scaled.

So all these apps for sale with land etc... list like onX, Huntwise etc are not accurate?

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
So all these apps for sale with land etc... list like onX, Huntwise etc are not accurate?

Nope. They are close approximations of where the property line might be. If you want to know the exact property line you better start digging up recordation forms at the courthouse.

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Very interesting to know thx. I thought with all technology now days they are spot on.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 134
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75