Worm Grunting

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
https://youtu.be/3ILoGcSxCAY

- - - Updated - - -

At over $0.30 a crawler and it won't rain, I might have to give it a try.

- - - Updated - - -

https://youtu.be/LeNvoGGOk4w

- - - Updated - - -

https://youtu.be/LeNvoGGOk4w

Mr. Stevenson

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I was taught this by my uncle in Florida at a very early age. Never tried it anywhere else for no good reason. Hope this gets tried and reports of result.

Last edited:

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
whew.... I was a tad worried that I had become internet famous for bathroom noises.

Mr. Stevenson

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Well, I see this vid is from Florida. The worms down there have the length of crawlers but not the girth. They also excrete a white milky substance when hooked and have a strong "insect" smell. When you buy a carton they're packed in sawdust like mealworms.

- - - Updated - - -

I wonder if the "milk" is a result of the sawdust?...

- - - Updated - - -

Mike showed me this technique with a pair of 2X4's; one sharpened and driven in the ground. You rubbed against the post at different angles until you found the sweet spot. That's what she said.

- - - Updated - - -

Like a slate call

Prairie Doggin'

★★★★★ Legendary Member
My yard is full of night crawlers -- to the point where it rattles your spine when you mow. I go out and get 'em once in a while. Scared shitlessly, one time I tried the electric current method, without much luck. I could probably fill a 55 gallon barrel if I had an efficient way of catching them.

Mr. Stevenson

★★★★★ Legendary Member
My yard is full of night crawlers -- to the point where it rattles your spine when you mow. I go out and get 'em once in a while. Scared shitlessly, one time I tried the electric current method, without much luck. I could probably fill a 55 gallon barrel if I had an efficient way of catching them.

I hope you try the above and report.

Longtine

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lay a tarp on the ground, turn on garden hose, place under the edge for ten minutes, remove tarp...pick up as many as you need. Works in the middle of the day.....

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Passing on sage worm wisdom given me when once I asked a man if he had crawlers in his yard:

"Yep, there's tons of them."

"So do you pick your own?" I asked as I knew he fishes 50+ days mainly on Oahe and mainly w/live bait.

His response: "No. Because I learned a long time ago that a flat of crawlers and a trip to the Chiropractor costs the same."

Here ends Sage Worm Advice 101.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Mike from Dirty Jobs had a show on this years back. It was down in Florida somewhere. LB

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lay a tarp on the ground, turn on garden hose, place under the edge for ten minutes, remove tarp...pick up as many as you need. Works in the middle of the day.....

I bought a flat one time.....What a waste. Little half dead worms. If I could SEE it beforehand I may get another.

- - - Updated - - -

I've flooded areas of the yard and that works too

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82