BB gun

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is like arguing about how many ducks we killed on the NES back in the 80s and 90s. Wowzers.

USMCDI

Founding Member
Founding Member
You think you killed 100 blackbirds out of a 350ct tube of BB's?

I damn near guarantee we did with our powerline 880's, we were dumb enough in 1982 to gather up all of them and put them in a pile in the yard so we could take a picture of it. Blackbirds would invade our trees whenever we had sunflowers on our home section so we wore out quite a few powerline 880's.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
With my Red Ryder, back in the late 1950, winter time, the cats, a flashlight and the upstairs of the barn,
my kill rate on sparrows, i remember, being pretty good except sometimes the feathers were so thick i wounded them a lot but that is why the cats were with me. (but 60 years is a long time to remember)
I used to shoot at wooden matches at 5 feet in a box and now and then i could get one to light. But not to often.

And when we had our BB gun fights i remember being pretty accurate on those shots too. (when it hit open skin it did hurt) db

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
We had a Daisy BB gun that looked just like a 30-30 lever action that was pretty damn accurate and powerful enough to take out squirrels when I was a kid. Think it's still around here somewhere but don't think it's in working condition anymore. Now I gotta see if I can find it. Not sure what model or year it was but that was back when they actually made them out of metal and looked and felt like a real gun. Kids now days get plastic crap for everything.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
lol

- - - Updated - - -

some of us were pretty serious about our bb gun hunting

I have the feeling we need to initiate a BB gun master tourney, similar to the bullhead deal you guys used to carry on with. We could prove some useable skills amongst the older crowd of BB gun experts such as myself.
Pretty positive I have the old trusty daisy air rifle in the back of the gun safe, it is by far my most kills piece of iron.

remm

Founding Member
Founding Member
Once a guy figured out how far low and left to hold the red ryder, I could shoot barn swallows off the powerline going into grandparents farm at a pretty decent clip. Vast majority of misses were because a goddam bb didn't come out, dry fires were a great source of frustration. Now with the gamo and scope it's almost like cheating, kinda like having to look up something in an encyclopedia versus asking siri.
Good times.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
When I wasn't strong enough to cock my bb gun I used to set the muzzle on the step or a board to get it cocked. I remember wondering what would happen if you pulled the trigger with the lever open and then how bad it hurt when your fingers bleed from a POS bb gun. It didn't take me very long to start sneaking the old 22 out of the house. Old saying from the bb gun days when someone got lucky and actually hit what they were aiming at, "even a blind squirrel can find an acorn once in a while."

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
One time, for some reason, i forgot to return the lever after cocking
long time ago but i remember it well due to the pain that came. db

Prairie Doggin'

★★★★★ Legendary Member
When I was a kid blackbirds would swoop in and steal dogfood out of our dog's bowl. We started propping up the casualties with bottle rocket sticks, and had a pretty nice spread of decoys. Eventually, some fun-sucking adult came by and told us we couldn't do that, that it was likely illegal.

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
We hunted black birds with home made sling shots. We would look for the most even "Y" from a willow tree, buy wide, long rubber bands from the drug store and make the pocket from the leather tongue of an old shoe. Worked great ... we shot lots of birds.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Same here except rubber band came from old inner tube, Rocks for bullets. Got my brother once between the eyes when we were playing our hide and seek game. It put him down, but did get back up so we decided that was that for that and when back to the bb guns. db

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
Same here except rubber band came from old inner tube, Rocks for bullets. Got my brother once between the eyes when we were playing our hide and seek game. It put him down, but did get back up so we decided that was that for that and when back to the bb guns. db

We made rubber band guns with inner tube bands. We used a 1x2 and put the band on the front and pulled it back and we would hold it in place with a spring loaded clothes pin that we had nailed to the other end of the 1x2. When you opened the clothes pin the band would slip off and "fire." We would fight each other. Getting hit by the rubber band didn't really hurt.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Had the same rubber ban gun. Lot of good toys back then made by hand, db

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
Did you ever take the spokes off an old bicycle rim and bend the end from the rim into a "U" shamed handle, fill the threaded end with gunpowder from a #8 shotgun shell and the push a #8 shotgun BB into the end. Then we would hold a lit farmer's match under the gun powder until it exploded. Great fun, but Dad complained about losing pheasant shells!

FlatTopPete

Established Member
I shoot the shit out of blackbirds with a .17 HMR. Man is it fun watching those things explode when you hit them. I hate them damn things. Sunflower eating SOB’s.

A buddy of mine and I would go into his barn and shine sparrows with a big spotlight and kill handfuls of them with a BB gun. Man did the cats love us on those nights. Good times!

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
My neighbor friend guy and I used to go out to his Uncle's farm and shoot pigeons around his barn and his Aunt would clean them and make "Pigeon Pie" for supper for us. Good shit!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77