Ramp Coditions & Low Water

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just thought with the drought and low lake levels in the area this year that it would be useful to have a spot to post any boat ramps that may be out of commission. I heard today that Cattail Bay was getting bad or out of service, but I've seen boats out and assumed it was in use.

The Fort Yates ramp is at the end but usable. There are rocks on ramp out towards the end of dock. Be careful not to hit one with prop, hull, or trailer.

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
i've been told that after the work on the dam is complete, and the june rise, sak will be at 1841... google says it's at 1817 now...

that tells me a 24' rise is coming... if true, all ramps should be usable and safe...

Founding Member
Founding Member
i've been told that after the work on the dam is complete, and the june rise, sak will be at 1841... google says it's at 1817 now...

that tells me a 24' rise is coming... if true, all ramps should be usable and safe...

Sak is at 1834 right now.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
I heard we should expect a 4' rise.

The core ramp at Deepwater is borderline at the moment, and the ramp at Pouch is a no go.

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
where do you find that?

is the lake all at the same level as far as the reporting?

https://www.nwd-mr.usace.army.mil/rcc/reports/pdfs/MRBWM_Reservoir_Yesterday.pdf

Screen Shot 2021-05-10 at 9.04.59 PM.jpg

Ristorapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Govt. Bay on Sak is iffy. Small boat not so bad. Big boat, usable but caution.....SINGLE lane only....

gunlover

there must be a lot of young people on this site, because they haven't seen the lake low.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's the lowest anyone has ever seen it! LOL Except before the dams were put in!

I glassed Cattail Bay and from across the river I could see orange cones set up to block off one side of it. Not sure if the other side is usable, but no trailers were at the launch.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
Like 2004/2005 low? Because that's the lowest I've ever seen it.

like drive 1.5 miles from the van hook boat ramp to launch on the south side of Gull island low........ yep the first summer i dated my then GF now wife thats where we put in at... this aint low for the newbies....i remember walking down the " normal" ramps and going for walks on the lake bed......

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I believe the record low was in 2005, with an elevation around 1805' We still have 30' of water to get to that point again.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Here's my mindset; low water years lead to plant growth on newly exposed shore lines. The water will come up again and now there's ripe habitat for bait fish. Quality of the fishery improves dramatically. We'll be ok.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
Here's my mindset; low water years lead to plant growth on newly exposed shore lines. The water will come up again and now there's ripe habitat for bait fish. Quality of the fishery improves dramatically. We'll be ok.

for sure...i brought a DL tatic growing up fishing that lake to van hook during that time. rodeo re grew with flooded trees we would slip up in there tie off and slip bobber fish. it without a doubt will be fine.
the west end may suffer some poor hatches and very few smelt during the dry years but itll be back

- - - Updated - - -

maybe the parking lot wont be croweded and i can use the fish grinder without waiting in line.....hahah i wont go that far thats a pipe dream

- - - Updated - - -

however itll be hell on pulling cranks and lost tackle,...... i havent lost but 2-3 cranks in the last 5 years out there

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just talked with the state park guy and he was told that oahe will drop at least 5 feet by july that will make the east ramp un usable at indian creek

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 105
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 63
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 56
  • This month: 56
  • This month: 55