Monster's Lurk~

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
fRvEo.md (1).jpgour sturgeon run is on...big bastards too.

fR4qH.md (1).jpg

Last edited:

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wow! Fun! Do you just jump on their backs, plug your nose, and ride 'em til they're tired?

lol,quick cure for hemmroids,dang dinosaurs have razor sharp dorsel spiny fins that'll get your attention if your not careful.

Wags2.0

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I wonder if the native americans had an open season on those

I cant imagine they taste all that good. Easy access to lots of protein was probably tempting.

Fun fact - nobody (modern man) fished for or sought after sturgeon until the great depression. They were seen as nuisance species and regularly thrown on shore.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I cant imagine they taste all that good. Easy access to lots of protein was probably tempting.

Fun fact - nobody (modern man) fished for or sought after sturgeon until the great depression. They were seen as nuisance species and regularly thrown on shore.
Thanks

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member

Funny enough, my Grandpa Ray grew up north of the Twin Cities near the St. Croix River. His mom would send him and his brothers down regularly to catch fish for supper. He said his favorite by far was sturgeon. And this is a guy who later on in life spent his days fishing for crappies on a cold, tannin-stained lake in the Iron Range.

I've always been tempted to try sturgeon just from his stories.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
• When the first European settlers reached North America, lobsters were so plentiful that they would reportedly wash ashore in piles up to 2 feet high. Their bounty made them a precious source of sustenance during hard times—and gave them a nasty reputation as the poor man’s protein.
• Native Americans used lobsters to fertilize their crops and bait their fishing hooks. They also ate the abundant crustaceans, preparing them by covering them in seaweed and baking them over hot rocks. According to tradition, this cooking method inspired the classic New England clambake.
• At first, lobsters were gathered by hand along the shoreline. In the late 1700s, special boats known as smacks, which featured tanks with holes that allowed seawater to circulate, were introduced in Maine for the transport of live lobsters. The workers who operated these shellfish-friendly vessels were known as smackmen. It was not until the mid-19th century that lobster trapping, also first practiced in Maine, became a more popular way to collect the sea creatures.
• Dirt-cheap because they were so copious, lobsters were routinely fed to prisoners, apprentices, slaves and children during the colonial era and beyond. In Massachusetts, some servants allegedly sought to avoid lobster-heavy diets by including stipulations in their contracts that they would only be served the shellfish twice a week.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
• When the first European settlers reached North America, lobsters were so plentiful that they would reportedly wash ashore in piles up to 2 feet high. Their bounty made them a precious source of sustenance during hard times—and gave them a nasty reputation as the poor man’s protein.
• Native Americans used lobsters to fertilize their crops and bait their fishing hooks. They also ate the abundant crustaceans, preparing them by covering them in seaweed and baking them over hot rocks. According to tradition, this cooking method inspired the classic New England clambake.
• At first, lobsters were gathered by hand along the shoreline. In the late 1700s, special boats known as smacks, which featured tanks with holes that allowed seawater to circulate, were introduced in Maine for the transport of live lobsters. The workers who operated these shellfish-friendly vessels were known as smackmen. It was not until the mid-19th century that lobster trapping, also first practiced in Maine, became a more popular way to collect the sea creatures.
• Dirt-cheap because they were so copious, lobsters were routinely fed to prisoners, apprentices, slaves and children during the colonial era and beyond. In Massachusetts, some servants allegedly sought to avoid lobster-heavy diets by including stipulations in their contracts that they would only be served the shellfish twice a week.

I don't believe I'd be thrilled about Lobster 2x/wk even. Crab, 2x/day would be fine. Lobster, 0-2x/yr is about right for me.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know up at LOW/Rainy River there are a handful of people that try to get keepers every year(slot fish).

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
I visited some family in oregon and one of the restaurants there had a sturgeon special the night we were there. They happened to have a season to keep them in a slot that year. I wasn’t brave enough to order it but my brother-in-law did and he said I have to try it but that he only would part with one bite. He told me to order it and I should have listened. I had plenty of fresh dungeness crab other times during that trip and regret to this day not ordering the sturgeon special

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 105
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 63
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 56
  • This month: 56
  • This month: 55