Math issues? Common sense issues? where to start?

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Left brain people do better in math.

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Most of Liberal Teachers now couldn't do the times tables, they can't even tie their shoes

Maddog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Worked with a couple guys throughout the years that didn't know the marks on a tape measure.
Have them measure something and they would say 27 and 5 of those little marks! True story.[/QUOTE
mrs johnr is terrible with direction. Such as the house to the west of us, she will say, "you mean Josh's house", or some such similar type direction.
Look to the south at all them nice antelope, she will always look over her right shoulder, regardless of which direction that is. Not that she has a bad math mind, or cant read a tape, just cannot sense direction at all. Go into the basement, which is a walk out, and she doesn't know which direction she is looking going out the basement sliding door.. Its some sort of twilight zone shit..

My wife is the same way with directions. We have lived in the same house since 1990. Looking out the back patio door the sun rises to the right and it sets to the left. She doesn't understand that looking out the patio door she is roughly looking north.

I don't fault her for it though. Some of us are just wired differently and see things with a different perspective.
When we are driving somewhere I always have to remind myself that N S E W means "nothing" to her - even with the sun shining . . .

She quite often comes up with more intuitive comments on something that needs fixing around the house than I ever will.

- - - Updated - - -

Most of Liberal Teachers now couldn't do the times tables, they can't even tie their shoes

I was out hunting the other day and had to re-tie both my shoes.
But I know multiplication tables inside and out.

Please explain this for me. Thanks

Or do I have to be a liberal also? (Your logic makes no sense at all - just saying.)

Last edited:

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't kid yourselves, its a woman thing. I could drive my wife 2 miles from town in any direction and she would still get lost finding her way home. And she has lived here 50 years. On a side note Tiffany just smoked an awesome deer!! :;:rockit

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't get me wrong, I don't totally hate on investigations style math. I struggled with higher level math and believe some of the investigations style curriculum could have been extremely helpful to me. But, there are two main issues I see on a day to day basis. The first as I already mentioned is the 20 lane road in 3rd grade, but in 12th grade Pre-Calc, it's down to a one lane road. A lot of kids can't narrow through that. Second is the real puzzler to me- these kids don't know their basic math facts of addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. And they certainly can't do it in a timely manner. We often see kids who can work through a formula or process correctly, yet make simple mistakes doing basic math. Somewhere we're creating a disconnect, or not reinforcing enough. Rote memory is frowned upon in education, but I do believe students should be able to repeat from memory their basic math facts. There is no way to gain number sense if you can't do that. Then, when they get out into the workforce, we wonder why they can't count change or read a tape measure. Multiplication tables are a third grade standard....we shouldn't be rehashing them in high school.

Last edited:

Mr. Stevenson

★★★★★ Legendary Member
PLEASE click on this gd link:

https://youtu.be/vaitsBUyiNQ

- - - Updated - - -

The goddamn answer is 16. Oh my God; is this the shit shoved on our kids?!

- - - Updated - - -

My retarded take is: Arbitrarily change the punctuation to obtain a different answer...This is good. I'm now going to research the reason why "It was a dark and stormy night"; is akin to playing with feces.

- - - Updated - - -

IMO: Turns out the above introduction would be in the perfect fireside novel in a remote cabin with a well oiled gun leaning in the corner and a faithful dog resting it's head on your feet (slight plagiarism). Again as always; effete queers must always be more elite.

I'm going to get this book:

https://www.mprnews.org/story/2015/10/27/bcst-books-dark-and-stormy-night

That is all.

Last edited:

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
- - - Updated - - -

The goddamn answer is 16. Oh my God; is this the shit shoved on our kids?!

- - - Updated - - -

That is all.[/QUOTE]

Shoved on your kids???? The order of operations is the same as it was when you or anyone you know went to school. Without the rules, whose to say which way is the "right" way. Changing the order changes the answer. So LEARN THE RULES!!!!....FOLLOW THE RULES!!! (Imagine that!!) and you will get the correct answer.

- - - Updated - - -

cache.php

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Math has already been figured out, as has the wheel, no need to remake a wheel, or is there?

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
Funny part is in my experience, kids know the order of operations and can execute it. The bigger issue may be the 8/2 or 4 x 4.....that could take awhile, and they may only have a 50% chance at getting it right. Do all the steps right, then screw up the basic arithmetic. Sad!

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
this is dumb^^^ stopping on the 3rd set and only giving 2 prior sets leaves ambiguity justifying this long drawn out video. give us the first 3 sets and ask us to answer 44 x 44 and it would be positively clear which of the options in the video were actually being applied.

had the video maker given us the 3rd set with 18 as an answer, then its clear its the sum of the digits of the product. had you given us the 3rd set with an answer of 36 we would know it was the product of the sum of the digits and could clearly give you 44 X 44 and the resulting answers to infinity without question... no ambiguity...

Last edited:

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member

That person has never had a mouse or rabbit problem.

Everybody knows that if 33 rabbits/mice breed with 33 different rabbits/mice, you're going to have 1089 rabbits/mice to kill.

Like theoretics vs. physical world.

Smart kid says to bully, You can never actually touch me, the distance will just keep getting cut in half but you'll never actually touch me. Whack-Whack, #fatlipandblackeye.

Last edited:

Mr. Stevenson

★★★★★ Legendary Member
So I was on the right track?

- - - Updated - - -

I'm seriously getting pissed. 4/4/16..16/4/64

Last edited:

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's a common answer. How in the hell did you do that?! All I could do was attempt to discern a pattern in the products.

I looked at 22x22=16 and thought what times itself equals 16? 4 does, well 2x2 is 4 so there it is, oh wait if you look at the top equation the ones don't do the multiplication thing quite the same so I changed the 2x2 to 2+2 and both equations worked.

Mr. Stevenson

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I looked at 22x22=16 and thought what times itself equals 16? 4 does, well 2x2 is 4 so there it is, oh wait if you look at the top equation the ones don't do the multiplication thing quite the same so I changed the 2x2 to 2+2 and both equations worked.

My best friends in life can/could do the same thing. I gather it's like knowing fresh sign vs old. They tolerate me because of "wit" and "creativity". I seriously believe there's a medical condition which causes a mental wall. It probably has to do with retardation.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74