Math issues? Common sense issues? where to start?

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
In Bismarck we took the grandkids to Taco Bell. I forget their dessert its like a cream filled donut hole. The guy at the counter was about 20 years old. I told him I'll take a dozen. He said we don't have a dozen we have two, four, or twelve.

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
Typical CA fag!! GFk and ND would be better off without people like you buying up property here and coming to visit with those kind of views

- - - Updated - - -

We are just a bunch of drunken hillbilly’s.. never understood why so many from CA want to move away if their views and way of living is so great

Ironically, douches like you are why successful hardworking people might choose to move away from ND. Or at least the eastern half.

Last edited:

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Got old so do not have a credit card (have not had one for over 20 years, first used one when i was 38 and did not get in paid off until i was 60) but do have a debit card. Wife has one but only used if only source of paying for something.
I believe in cash and cash a check at bank every Monday morning to have cash to pay for things.
They have enough information on me already store in Utah from my phone and paying for things by not using cash. Yes i got old.

But when i bring up to my kids or grandkids about things they seem to bring up things for me i have little knowledge of. So it is a trade off. They do not know Roy Rogers but then they bring up some goofy name for me.

I can make change but i do not know how to run a cash register as i never had to and the kids let me know they know how to run a cash register. I got my fingers and with those i can fool them. Problems is when i have to use my toes. db

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lack of number sense, plain and simple, is a huge issue with our youth. I teach HS students basic technical math and it is incredible what I see. I'd say over 50% of my students could not tell me that .25, 1/4th, 25/100, and 250/1000 all represent the same thing. Fractions are incredibly difficult for them as well. Equivalent fractions are deer in the headlights type questions. I'd say only 50% can put tape measure fractions in order from smallest to largest from 1/16 to 1" when they get to high school. Add in the fact that their retention is low when it comes to basic memorization of math facts. Many kids don't know their simple multiplication facts. And, it is frowned upon in the teaching world to make them be timely with their work. I tell kids that I don't have all day for them to tell me what 4 x 4 is, it should be instant from memory.

Why is this happening? Partially to blame is the fact we are teaching math differently than we used to (investigations style), trying to reach more learners. It's a free for all approach, like a 20 lane highway. If you can get to the answer in one of the lanes, you're good. Unfortunately, as math levels increase, the number of lanes gets smaller. At the highest level of math, you have to follow a certain order of operations. Now, most of our kids don't get to this level and are left with the jumbled mess of a method to come up with an answer. And usually in a less than timely manner. Add in the fact that technology is always at their fingertips and they want to lean on it all the time. I have students Google "what is 4 x 4". There are crazy apps like photo math that do everything for you too.

Life skills like this are slowly slipping away. It's a struggle in the classroom and very frustrating when I see it outside in the real world.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Give a kid cashier a twenty, and ask them if they will change you out for 5 fives, 9 times out of ten you get it.

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Can't count change and can't tell the time on a regular old clock

Prairie Doggin'

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Making a VERY GOOD living in 27 years to allow me to retire the way I wanted to when I went to work after college in 1968. You can live where you want and I won't criticize, but don't criticize where I chose to work and live.
I get that...wages way higher. Just givin' you a little poke to make myself smile. In reality, I don't give 2 shits what you do or where you live. Congrats on being released in 27 years... I think I might have a life sentence.

- - - Updated - - -

I think the biggest problem today is Saxon math. Give a kid 20 problems on a worksheet with a 1.5" X 1" box, and you'll get a lot of wrong answers.
I asked a teacher, in front of my kid to make a point, "Do you penalize kids for showing their work?"
He said no, I encourage it. My kid tends to try do 6 steps in his head so he can fit the answer in the box. If he writes anything down, he erases it so he can fit the answer in the box.

The above statements were intended to be separate posts, but things didn't work out...

Last edited:

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
Typical CA fag!! GFk and ND would be better off without people like you buying up property here and coming to visit with those kind of views

- - - Updated - - -

We are just a bunch of drunken hillbilly’s.. never understood why so many from CA want to move away if their views and way of living is so great

Actually I was born in Lakota, ND and raised and went to school grades 1-12 in Botno and got a college degree BSCE at UND. All 4 of my grandparents emigrated from Norway in the 1890's, came thru Ellis Island and homesteaded in the Westhope, ND area.

I worked for 13 years before moving to San Jose to build homes for my last 27 years of work and I am proud of the construction work I did for my 40 years of employment.

My views are conservative. I have voted conservative in every election since I could vote in 1968. (You had to be 21 to vote back then.) My work in CA was to make a good living and settle in an area and build equity in a place to live. Prior to CA we moved all over the US every 1-1/2 years. WY, NJ, VA, NJ, TX, TX in 8 years.

Actually the property we own is property we inherited or the Metigoshe cabin we purchased from my wife's stepfather. I never said I wanted to move away from CA.

Thank you for letting me get this off my chest.

ps: None of my gf's nor my wife of 47+ years thinks I am a FAG!

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lack of number sense, plain and simple, is a huge issue with our youth. I teach HS students basic technical math and it is incredible what I see. I'd say over 50% of my students could not tell me that .25, 1/4th, 25/100, and 250/1000 all represent the same thing. Fractions are incredibly difficult for them as well. Equivalent fractions are deer in the headlights type questions. I'd say only 50% can put tape measure fractions in order from smallest to largest from 1/16 to 1" when they get to high school. Add in the fact that their retention is low when it comes to basic memorization of math facts. Many kids don't know their simple multiplication facts. And, it is frowned upon in the teaching world to make them be timely with their work. I tell kids that I don't have all day for them to tell me what 4 x 4 is, it should be instant from memory.

Why is this happening? Partially to blame is the fact we are teaching math differently than we used to (investigations style), trying to reach more learners. It's a free for all approach, like a 20 lane highway. If you can get to the answer in one of the lanes, you're good. Unfortunately, as math levels increase, the number of lanes gets smaller. At the highest level of math, you have to follow a certain order of operations. Now, most of our kids don't get to this level and are left with the jumbled mess of a method to come up with an answer. And usually in a less than timely manner. Add in the fact that technology is always at their fingertips and they want to lean on it all the time. I have students Google "what is 4 x 4". There are crazy apps like photo math that do everything for you too.

Life skills like this are slowly slipping away. It's a struggle in the classroom and very frustrating when I see it outside in the real world.

"Common Core/Investigations Style" math can be a good thing, but, IMO you need a strong foundation of addition, subtraction, multiplication and division/fractions/decimals certainly through 10, 12 is even better, committed to memory first. My dad taught my sister and I to get close by moving to an easily manipulated 5 or 10 then cleaning up the delta at the end. As a result, sis and I can do basic math in our head fairly quickly. I work on the same things with my kids, but, we also worked very hard on committing to memory add, subtract, divide and multiply through 12's with my oldest and are in the midst of doing the same with our youngest.

My kids have learned, "I hate Math" or "Math is hard" are both unacceptable answers.

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member

Pretty much. I'm sure over the generations there's always been a good chunk that wasn't very good with numbers, reading, giving a crap, etc. I'd say it's a third to half of the population that can't do much critical thought. Wish the school system would make more benchmarks for kids to move on from grade to grade but we can't make them 'feel bad.' Always makes me stop when they talk about kids being at a 3rd grade reading level and high school teachers are supposed to adjust their methods to accommodate that...ok what now? Like throwing a kid into the deep end who can't tread water.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Worked with a couple guys throughout the years that didn't know the marks on a tape measure.
Have them measure something and they would say 27 and 5 of those little marks! True story.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Worked with a couple guys throughout the years that didn't know the marks on a tape measure.
Have them measure something and they would say 27 and 5 of those little marks! True story.[/QUOTE
mrs johnr is terrible with direction. Such as the house to the west of us, she will say, "you mean Josh's house", or some such similar type direction.
Look to the south at all them nice antelope, she will always look over her right shoulder, regardless of which direction that is. Not that she has a bad math mind, or cant read a tape, just cannot sense direction at all. Go into the basement, which is a walk out, and she doesn't know which direction she is looking going out the basement sliding door.. Its some sort of twilight zone shit..

RPNLPS

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Have them measure something and they would say 27 and 5 of those little marks! True story.

Lol yea had a guy work for me didn’t even know how to use a broom and another guy that didn’t know what a framing square was so he called it an L thing !! Can’t fix stupid!!!
Send them after the sky hook or the stump grease and tell them they need to change there blinker fluid if you want a real laugh!!

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member

- - - Updated - - -

Were you the guy behind the cash register that's being talked about?

People like you are an embarrassment to whatever state or city you call home. ND is ill-represented by your comments.

Sorry if I used words that were too big for you. I understand multiple syllables can be hard for some....We'll try a sentence with simpler words: "Watch this - hold my beer."

Update: Love how I receive negative rep for chastising a guy who calls another member a "FAG". Nice Lunker. "Douche Move" eh?

Now I probably won't sleep tonight.

Last edited:

Mr. Stevenson

★★★★★ Legendary Member

I get all of your first sentence/point.

Slightly beyond this I become agitated and stupefied; it's actual physical pain behind my eyes through my shoulders: The things which most interest me require good mathematics to fully grasp the concept.

Does a math disorder exist comparable to reading or am I destined a numbers retard?

I'd love to do a gd equation and understand it. I graduated somewhat dubiously in 1986.

Last edited:

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's sad that we don't make 3rd graders MEMORIZE their times tables.

I was working in MN removing asbestos back in the 90s . We were really short handed as all but 2 of us quit n walked out. Our shower hose was leaking and we asked the air monitor guy that has to be on site and make sure we follow all the rules, to help us out and mop up the water in the hall outside our barrier. This kid had just graduated college. So he helps reluctantly. About 5 minutes later he starts whinging like a little kid, it's not working anymore. So I have come out of containment, which requires a decontamination shower , which means we have to turn on water to shower causing even a bigger mess, just because this dumbazz can't figure out the mop bucket is FULL.

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
In Bismarck we took the grandkids to Taco Bell. I forget their dessert its like a cream filled donut hole. The guy at the counter was about 20 years old. I told him I'll take a dozen. He said we don't have a dozen we have two, four, or twelve.

Ordering a dozen is like ordering a liter of cola.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I get all of your first sentence/point.

Slightly beyond this I become agitated and stupefied; it's actual physical pain behind my eyes through my shoulders: The things which most interest me require good mathematics to fully grasp the concept.

Does a math disorder exist comparable to reading or am I destined a numbers retard?

I'd love to do a gd equation and understand it. I graduated somewhat dubiously in 1986.

MOA's, MILs, FPS, POI, POA, lands, grooves, odd or even 3-8, cut/button/hammer-forged, Radar/lights/magnets, 6-48, 8-40, 5/32nds, T-15, and that big thick flat summbitch with the gap in the middle for Weaver ring blocks.

Last edited:

ORCUS DEMENS

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mr Stevenson, A long time ago I read an article that stated there is a specific region of the brain that deals with math. I would suppose this region may vary person to person. That being said, one thing that helped me was realizing math is a language. It is the language that describes the real world. I struggled for a while until I realized math is a more precise way of describing what was happening around me. I remember the old "times tables". Never did like rote memorization. Breaking the problem down to simpler parts works for me. A close friend once told me " If you want to be an expert at anything, write a computer program to automate it". Break things down to yes or no answers and difficult problems become much easier to understand.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 161
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76