Math issues? Common sense issues? where to start?

64Mustang

Founding Member
Founding Member
It bugs me when cashiers (normally younger than 30) have trouble counting change, whether it is coins or bills. I have had numerous instances in the past couple of years where the cashier couldn't figure out what the change needed to be made without punching numbers into a calculator on their cell phone. Example is when the bill was $9.09 and I handed them a $10 bill and a dime. They entered $10.01 on the cash register and started to hand me back 92 cents....Bang head here.

The icing was put on the cake yesterday so I figured I get it out there when it was fresh in my mind. I stopped yesterday at a local truck stop, got a bottle of pop and a hot dog. Total was $4.16. I had a quite a few bills in my pocket and some change. I handed the younger (20ish) male cashier a dime, a nickel and a penny first, then gave them a $20 bill. He hit $20.16 on the register just as I found the 4th One dollar bill I was looking for in my bills. I told him, 'here is four 1's instead of the $20' as I am holding the four $1s out for him. He's holding my $20.16 in his hand and tells me 'I've already hit the register' as the register pops open. He hands me $16 back (1, 5 and a 10) I hand them back along with the four 1's and ask for a $20 bill. He lays them on the counter (one 10, one 5, and five 1's). He spreads them all out so all 7 bills are showing. He counts them and asked me if I want a $20, he needs another $1 as there is only $19 laying there. I said, count again. He does, comes up with $19. I said 'there is $20 laying there' he counts a 3rd time and comes up with $20. Keep in mind he still has not shut the cash drawer. He takes the 7 bills ($20), closes the cash drawer, then opens it back up again and puts the 7 bills in the drawer and gives me a $20. He said he had to close the draw to make change..... what? I just shook my head.

It's pretty sad what is out there in the work force. Glad I made sure my kids know how to count bills and change....

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nothing new, I've had this happen for years.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
A million years ago when I was a snot nosed little tyke, I mowed the neighbors yard for baseball card money. When I knocked on this little old ladies door for payment, evidently I wasn't making change correctly so she proceeded to teach me how to do it. That simple lesson has served me well throughout the years. I am amazed at how many ppl act like the world has come to an end if their cash register, computer doesn't provide them with the change needed to complete the transaction.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
worked at a standard station to fill in when owner was out, first thing he taught you was how to count change. Pretty simple actually i guess dont know how they would do it with that new math

Wags2.0

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Take a minute to help the kid out. Turn an annoyance into a positive. You’ll feel good for having done it too.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Can't get to Grand Forks from the SF Bay Area any other way with any choices other than Delta.

I get it. Delta went from being half-decent to modestly busy travelers to ###hats in about a year's time. This happened when they started selling upgrades instead of giving them to frequent fliers.

I will loathe airlines for the rest of time because of Delta's treatment of a once fairly loyal FF.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
It always amuses me when i give them change along with paper dollars for more than what i owe, then you get the deer in the headlights look back from the cashier.

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
The only time I pay in cash is so the charge doesn't show up on the Am Ex bill and the wife doesn't know what I spent. And I have started giving my bar tips in cash. The bartenders/waitresses can keep cash, put it in their pocket and not declare it as income.

There was a bartender at The Fish Market restaurant in San Jose that had her entire salary withheld to cover income taxes on her tips. She showed me her paycheck stub. She worked for tips!

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
It bugs me when cashiers (normally younger than 30) have trouble counting change, whether it is coins or bills. I have had numerous instances in the past couple of years where the cashier couldn't figure out what the change needed to be made without punching numbers into a calculator on their cell phone. Example is when the bill was $9.09 and I handed them a $10 bill and a dime. They entered $10.01 on the cash register and started to hand me back 92 cents....Bang head here.

The icing was put on the cake yesterday so I figured I get it out there when it was fresh in my mind. I stopped yesterday at a local truck stop, got a bottle of pop and a hot dog. Total was $4.16. I had a quite a few bills in my pocket and some change. I handed the younger (20ish) male cashier a dime, a nickel and a penny first, then gave them a $20 bill. He hit $20.16 on the register just as I found the 4th One dollar bill I was looking for in my bills. I told him, 'here is four 1's instead of the $20' as I am holding the four $1s out for him. He's holding my $20.16 in his hand and tells me 'I've already hit the register' as the register pops open. He hands me $16 back (1, 5 and a 10) I hand them back along with the four 1's and ask for a $20 bill. He lays them on the counter (one 10, one 5, and five 1's). He spreads them all out so all 7 bills are showing. He counts them and asked me if I want a $20, he needs another $1 as there is only $19 laying there. I said, count again. He does, comes up with $19. I said 'there is $20 laying there' he counts a 3rd time and comes up with $20. Keep in mind he still has not shut the cash drawer. He takes the 7 bills ($20), closes the cash drawer, then opens it back up again and puts the 7 bills in the drawer and gives me a $20. He said he had to close the draw to make change..... what? I just shook my head.

It's pretty sad what is out there in the work force. Glad I made sure my kids know how to count bills and change....

Somewhere in cyberspace that kid is complaining about people who don't have ApplePay/GoogleWallet set up on their phones.

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
Who the hell doesn't have a system where they tell them what the change should be or an "old fashioned" calculator nearby when a customer throws you a loop mid/post sale? Mind-boggling..

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
No disrespect to anyone but a 20 year old working the register at a truck stop probably wasn’t the valedictorian of their class.

- - - Updated - - -

I guess my point being, there are 55 year old people who couldn’t give u the correct change either.

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why would any self-respecting NDAer be doing in SF Bay area???;)

Making a VERY GOOD living in 27 years to allow me to retire the way I wanted to when I went to work after college in 1968. You can live where you want and I won't criticize, but don't criticize where I chose to work and live.

ND58201

Founding Member
Founding Member
Typical CA fag!! GFk and ND would be better off without people like you buying up property here and coming to visit with those kind of views

- - - Updated - - -

We are just a bunch of drunken hillbilly’s.. never understood why so many from CA want to move away if their views and way of living is so great

ORCUS DEMENS

Founding Member
Founding Member
Great thread, have been there and done that. Brokenback has it with the deer in the headlights look. On occasion I take the time to walk the cashier through the process if there is no line behind me. It is different times. Who needs knowledge when the internet has all the answers? Just click click and you have the answer that you want. It may be completely false, but it is the answer YOU want. Critical thinking has definitely gone the way dinosaurs.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75