Mn Fishing Opener

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
Heading to blue plate country later today to partake in the fishing opener(walleye). Bemidji area lakes. Grew up there and pretty much fished Bemidji area and Leech Lake, Red Lake, often. Opener is pretty much a big deal as much as deer opener here..and there. Anyone else taking in the MN opener? I am sure I will hear the blue plater put down from some on here. To each their own.
#$%^&>

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've crossed off that bumper-boat shit show years ago. Used to do it annually, but just kind of lost its luster. I like to wait a couple weeks until the shiners run and the boat parade dwindles. Usually a lot better weather and more consistent fishing.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Probably not.

Got tired of cabin owners spotting me fishing two lines and yelling/bitching from shore about flat-heads overfishing their lake.

;:;popcorn

True story more than once - tee hee.

I'm a bad bad man.

Last edited:

Myk Lund

Founding Member
Founding Member
3Roosters as an X Blue Plater I totally get it. As a kid I remember Dad taking me up to the old Red Lantern Resort on Otter Tail. Sometimes as a group with others. Not sure if its still their but what fantastic memories. Especially the night before. Camp Fire, tons of food & treats, and of course the fish stories that would get us worked up in anticipation of that early morning bite! #$%^&>

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
No offense to Minnesota, well maybe a little, but fuck your DNR...

Fishing opener? how nice of them to allow their citizens the right to fish...

Every time I hear this MN fishing opener I am reminded of my "buddy" big red Eddie Schultz, and how that arrogant SOB would get all jacked up trying to sell his big eddy spinners... Not to speak poorly of the dead, so forgive me for doing so.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Cousins had an old converted barn / cabin on little round just west of ottertail. Was always a blast to stay there. Between the extra tents and station wagons we could sleep 30 easy. It was only a couple hundred yards to the swimming beach on Ottertail. Used to do a lot of night fishing for walleys on Ottertail. LB

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
Can't wait! My uncle seined about 80 dozen shiners from our lake. Big bastards and native to the lake...can't get any better than that! And free to boot, no paying by the dozen for me.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
Our cabin is on a little lake known more for blue gills and crappie and which I target most of the time so will be redoing my set ups for walleye tonight for opening morning. When i was a young lad, my parents would always take my brothers and me to Upper Red Lake and camp at ..i think it was Roger's resort. Bunch of ppl from Bemidji would camp there for opening weekend. Walleyes were mostly in that 13-16inch range but was fun. Then in my teen years the folks bought a cabin near Stony Point on Leech Lake. We caught many 'eyes over the years at that cabin! Good memories for sure!

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
Definitely going to do some crappie fishing too. Lida has an 11 inch minimum to keep crappie, so you can catch some really nice ones. Only problem is they come from a bay which is 9 feet deep at most, and they taste like mud.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Definitely going to do some crappie fishing too. Lida has an 11 inch minimum to keep crappie, so you can catch some really nice ones. Only problem is they come from a bay which is 9 feet deep at most, and they taste like mud.

They taste like mud because that bay is nothing but mud.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I haven't even looked at my boat since Sept. Maybe next weekend I'll nab it from storage, get the fluids changed, charge the batteries, and make sure it'll start.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am SO SO SO SO glad that we (here in ND) no longer have a season on the MO. I recall when we did, but now it would suck.

I'm just about to 80 fish this spring already, from shore, and I'd have missed them all if I hadn't been able to fish these past two months. There's been a few bigs too.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I live in Fargo. I have not fished yet this spring. Fargo makes me sad.

plus Fargo has the dreaded smell of the 45th street land fill. I don’t miss the putrid smell of garbage in the morning. Those seagulls of the 45 th street dump do however make for an interesting dish at the China king buffet downtown.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’m at Lake of da Woods. Gunna hit dat der opener in da mornin’. Eyes and sand pikes.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member

Attachments

34788F23-7AE0-4765-81F4-195A0345A98A.jpg

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108