Oil Extractors?

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
Seems I am seeing more and more that people are using oil extractors for oil changes. Does anyone use one regularly? My outboard (Yamaha F200) suggests using one to make the changes. I always thought draining made more sense, but what do I know? If you have one you use and like, please post up. I've only been told the Mityvac is a good one. Looks like the fittings are motor specific in some cases though too. Just looking for opinions & experiences. Thanks!

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Those things are not likely to ever convince me that pulling the plug is a second best effort for changing the oil.

Well, at least not until they tell me there's a sink they fit into that removes 9X% of the oil.

Retired-Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
My 150 Yamaha doesn't even have a drain plug on the crankcase. Extraction is the only option. I bought an inexpensive pump. It's slow but does work.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LCEWR4A/?tag=nodakangler10-20

I too have a Yamaha F200 and 9.9 kicker. There's nothing "Yamaha Specific" to mine, just run the appropriate diameter/length straw down the dipstick hole. I also use it for changing oil on my mower, snowblower, ATV, and Lawn tractor. The catch reservoir is marked/graduated on the side so you know how much oil you've extracted from whatever you're changing. I don't think the extractor takes any longer than waiting for the seeping to stop out of the drain-hole, and it certainly takes less time if you factor in cleanup.

We don't tube/ski/wakeboard behind my boat. I put 35-50hrs/summer on my 200. The 5.3L reservoir is FULL when it stops sucking oil, FWIW my F200 holds 5.6L of oil + the filter for a 6qt oil change. I'm not concerned at all about the small amount of oil that may be left in the case. It's only been "used" 1/3-1/2 of it's "life", and it's getting a new filter too. I suppose if a person wanted to be really thorough one could then pull the drain plug just to see if any metal shavings have accumulated on the magnetic end, but I don't.

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have 26 internal combustion engines at my house, some that are just a PIA and messy to change oil and some that require extraction (jet ski). I used a small cheapy hand pump for the last several years only on the stuff I absolutely had too because it was slow, just as messy, and generally just kind a of a thorn in my side to use. I finally broke down and ordered a JohnDow JDI-6EV last winter, It's the cats a$$! I now use it to extract oil on things that have a drain plug and then pull the plug for the last few drips. It works great. I did add a low pressure regulator to the discharge side as your only suppose to discharge the oil with 5-7 psi and I didn't want to always be cranking on my main regulator on my compressor. Heck, I'm not sure that one would even go down to 5 psi. I added quick coupling air chucks to both the extraction and discharge side and that was it. Very well built and thought out and comes with 6-8 different types of extractor tubes. Two thumbs up on this product for anyone that needs a decent fluid extractor.

https://www.johndow.com/product/6-20-gallon-fluid-evacuators/

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just curious as to what you guys do with your used oil?

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just curious as to what you guys do with your used oil?

As long as you're non-commercial I believe that oil change places are mandated to receive it @ no-charge. I've taken mine to Jiffy Lube, Walmart, and to a friend's waste-oil heater tank.

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
All of mine goes to my wife's uncle who has an oil furnace for his shop and is just a few miles down the road from me.

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
crazy the 2008 and 2014s i have done changes on both have them on the rear of the motor down the shaft, granted they are kind of messy and pumping them out works pretty slick, wonder why they didn't put them on 2011?

Retired-Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
crazy the 2008 and 2014s i have done changes on both have them on the rear of the motor down the shaft, granted they are kind of messy and pumping them out works pretty slick, wonder why they didn't put them on 2011?
You have me curious now so I will check more but I seem to recall both the manual and the dealer saying that you had to pump it out. I'll get back to you.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for the info. I asked my dealer about pulling the plug on the F200 and they just looked at me funny. Said the extractor is the way to go. I too have some thoughts that I'd like to drain it all. But as SDMF said, I'm hardly touching the oil's life. I'm sure it's best to do when warm obviously. I can see other uses at times too, but who knows.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for the info. I asked my dealer about pulling the plug on the F200 and they just looked at me funny. Said the extractor is the way to go. I too have some thoughts that I'd like to drain it all. But as SDMF said, I'm hardly touching the oil's life. I'm sure it's best to do when warm obviously. I can see other uses at times too, but who knows.

Regarding warmth, I run the motor on the muffs for a few minutes, you can feel when the water warms up coming out the indicator.

IMO, the ONLY thing a person is missing by not pulling the drain plug is looking at the magnetic end for metal shavings.

Retired-Guy, I'd be surprised if you don't have an oil drain-plug under the mid-section plastic on your motor.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 169
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 122
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77