NDGF: Steinwand Retiring

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
[FONT=&quot]BISMARCK – The director of the North Dakota Game and Fish Department is retiring after more than 15 years at the helm.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Terry Steinwand took over leadership of the agency when he was appointed by then-Gov. John Hoeven in 2006. He began his career with Game and Fish in 1982 as a fisheries biologist for the Garrison Diversion Unit. He was named fisheries division chief in 1989. Steinwand led the expansion of hunting access through a program known as Private Land Open to Sportsmen, or PLOTS, and helped increase the number of managed waters for fishing to 400.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Steinwand’s last day is July 31.[/FONT]

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
Stuck around just long enough to bury it deep and break it off in ND sportsmen...

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I hear he was forced out by Burgum and the NDFB. Just watch hunting right dissolve now!

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Personally I thought Steinwand was a much bigger fried of sportsmen and women than the NDFB. I'm a landowner and that land is farmland. I can't think of one thing the FB supports that I agree with. I'm not sure that even the majority of farmers support the FB.

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fifteen years ago the front runners for director were Randy Kreil and Terry Steinwand.

We most certainly dodged a bullet.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fifteen years ago the front runners for director were Randy Kreil and Terry Steinwand.

We most certainly dodged a bullet.
When you say "we" who exactly are you referring to? ND sportsmen, landowners or farmed elk raisers?

Can't wait to see who the next idiot in chief will be and how they will fudge it up even more. The dept has gone downhill for awhile and probably going to get worse with the next generation in charge.

rapala_09

Honored Member
When you say "we" who exactly are you referring to? ND sportsmen, landowners or farmed elk raisers?

Can't wait to see who the next idiot in chief will be and how they will fudge it up even more. The dept has gone downhill for awhile and probably going to get worse with the next generation in charge.

It sounds like you've already made up your mind on what your opinion will be of the next director. To each their own, I guess.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
1. i want zander stocked and i want it now
2. Largemouth bass please in devils lake - no more whiteys --- green bass matters!!!!!!
3. Road hunting legalized along with barrels out the window allowed
4. If SDMF is within 50miles of a lake that lake will not be allowed to have tournaments.
5. The new commissioner needs to be required a member of Nodak Angler and post once a week. His screen name - Toby
6. Game wardens will be allowed when checking someone are required to have a cooler in the boat with couple busch lights for the people dey be checking.
7.Picture of Randy Kreil to placed along the road by the GF along with a sign stating - this is the reason you didnt get your deer permit

:;:cheers

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
It sounds like you've already made up your mind on what your opinion will be of the next director. To each their own, I guess.

I think it's part of a bigger problem in that gov't has stopped representing its constituents and is making most decisions to gain power, curry favor, increase revenue, etc. Just an overall pattern of throwing the average Joe under the bus in favor of fat-cats, tree huggers, alarmists, etc.

NG3067

★★ Legendary Member
The Game and Fish has done a great job of expanding the fishing opportunities by stocking every low spot that will hold water, if he wasn’t responsible for it he at least let it happen. Where I think we are way far behind is in the area of hunting, and if we continue as we have been the last 15 years hunting will become a sport for the wealthy.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
We just entered the era of the game and fish that is going to mirror the likes of MN

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I see climate change initiatives ahead for NDGF.

What the hell does that mean you ask? I can't imagine it myself - but it's coming. Just you wait.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh... and LGBTXYZWTF game wardens. I almost forgot about that future initiative.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fishing has never been better in this state as a whole than the past decade. Hunting is always going to be tough in a state that is almost entirely private. Anyone who thinks they know all the answers should be applying for the job.

Vollmers

★★★★★ Legendary Member
You literally had me in tears on #4!
1. i want zander stocked and i want it now
2. Largemouth bass please in devils lake - no more whiteys --- green bass matters!!!!!!
3. Road hunting legalized along with barrels out the window allowed
4. If SDMF is within 50miles of a lake that lake will not be allowed to have tournaments.
5. The new commissioner needs to be required a member of Nodak Angler and post once a week. His screen name - Toby
6. Game wardens will be allowed when checking someone are required to have a cooler in the boat with couple busch lights for the people dey be checking.
7.Picture of Randy Kreil to placed along the road by the GF along with a sign stating - this is the reason you didnt get your deer permit

:;:cheers

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
The Game and Fish has done a great job of expanding the fishing opportunities by stocking every low spot that will hold water, if he wasn’t responsible for it he at least let it happen. Where I think we are way far behind is in the area of hunting, and if we continue as we have been the last 15 years hunting will become a sport for the wealthy.

Fishing has never been better in this state as a whole than the past decade. Hunting is always going to be tough in a state that is almost entirely private. Anyone who thinks they know all the answers should be applying for the job.
Not that hard to do when the last 30 years have been one of the wettest in recent history. Hell I could have thrown some fish in a slough and they would have flourished too. Look at some of the other issues from the department and you'll see where most of us are coming from like guywhoknows ;)

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
You must not be very old. Hunting used to be ten times what it is now

wjschmaltz

★★★★★ Legendary Member
When he took the job in 2006, there were approximately 3.3 million acres of CRP in ND compared to just over a million right now. I was driving back and forth from central ND to Fargo nearly weekly about that time. It seemed like there was a series of new tree rows being ripped out every single time I made that drive over 5 years until it seemed like nothing remained. It was almost like a war on habitat. On top of that, Oahe, Sak, several other reservoirs, and every prairie pothole were all near historic lows in 2006. Within 3 years, hundreds of thousands of acres of lakebed wildlife habitat was flooded for the next 10 years. So, what do you propose was done differently to preserve wildlife over the last 15 years on a landscape with nearly zero habitat? I’m not defending him, I’m frankly impartial and open ears, but let’s have some perspective. If you’re in desperate need of a villain when it comes to wildlife numbers in ND, look closer at modern agriculture. And don’t forget, major decisions made at the director level within state agencies often come down from the governor’s office.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 134
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75