Help!! 1998 Johnson 175 FICHT

rodcontrol

Founding Member
Founding Member
Curious if anyone has a fix to my probem. I have a 1998 Johnson 175 FICHT. The motor fires right up off the trailer. After running the motor and fishing for awhile I can not get the motor to start easily. The bulb is limp and does not keep pressure The times I have gotten it to start i needed to choke and give atleast half throttle. The last outing no such luck, didnt get the motor to start at all. After getting to the dock we lowered the motor while on the trailer and dark/oily fluid came out of the exhaust. I started to think it was extremely flooded. After talking to someone well versed he though these motors were very hard to flood.

Ive done alot of reading lately. Some possible problems could be heat soaking, bad fuel, thermostat and ECU. I have already packed up the ECU and sent for repairs/checkup. Looking already when I get the call that the ECU is fine.

Please help if you know anything or know of a good mechanic that still works on these OMC motors.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd replace the fuel line. You can usually find a manufacturer specific fuel line and bulb for less than $50. I've had this problem a time or two.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 162
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76