The season of rambling on

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Several trips planned this camping season. Mostly to lake Sakakawea, but we planned a couple distance ones this year.
One is staying at Glencoe camp ground for the Sturgis rally this year, should be more than interesting with the creative crowd that make this campground home for a week.

The other one being the decision Mrs johnr and I have made, which is a 700 mile one way road trip heading to the Green bay WI area. We haven't traveled quite this distance with the camper in tow. Looking forward to the journey, but curious of any potential pitfalls that may occur, and if any of you long distance camper dragger guys may have had.

Other than the diesel expense is there anything to watch for while making the trip? It will be mid October so the weather should not be overly hot, in fact possibly the exact opposite, hoping we don't hit any winter type weather on the way.

5th wheel is new, so tires and all that stuff is all good. Any advice you experience guys have would be great.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Don't have a 5th wheel but B-I-L does and I know he's fanatical about making sure his rig is ready to go for all trips. Checks everything. Another thing he does is try to plan ahead and reserve campground space. Also is not a long haul type of person. Example would be a 700 mile trip would most likely be 350 moles/day and maybe also spend a couple days in a campsite before moving again. He's also retired so generally in no hurry. Have fun and safe travels.

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't forget the easily accessible pit-crew jack, cordless impact, and torque wrench.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
One pitfall is the Glencoe campground. We stayed there one year during rally. The 1st thing I saw was an OLD man driving around a golf cart naked.

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
Time your trip. Either avoid Miniapolis or make sure you don't hit it during rush hour! I've done that and it's not fun. Cordless impact is useful but a corded drill is nice just in case your slide motors go out. The first year of owning a trailor you will find many flaws. Warranty will usually fix it but not until you get home.

#1 word of advise don't let kids play lawn darts towards your camper. Those things will go straight threw a window and ruin your day.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
One pitfall is the Glencoe campground. We stayed there one year during rally. The 1st thing I saw was an OLD man driving around a golf cart naked.
haha, That will be me this year...

- - - Updated - - -

Time your trip. Either avoid Miniapolis or make sure you don't hit it during rush hour! I've done that and it's not fun. Cordless impact is useful but a corded drill is nice just in case your slide motors go out. The first year of owning a trailor you will find many flaws. Warranty will usually fix it but not until you get home.

#1 word of advise don't let kids play lawn darts towards your camper. Those things will go straight threw a window and ruin your day.

This is our 3rd camper, so not new to the camping experience, just never pulled one further than Fargo. And the new one is 44ft long, and plenty heavy, so that is about 10 ft longer than the old one with twice the weight.

mrs johnr decided this was a trip we were taking last fall, so we are saddled into it. I want to thank biden for doubling the fuel prices, and taking 40% of all my income.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
As long as you will be in Green Bay area, ya might as well take in all that Door County has to offer, although i dont think i would haul the camper... leave it at campground. ie..more of a sight seeing day trip. I have Salmon fished out of the Sturgeon Bay area a million years ago in August so not sure what October holds. There are plenty of tourist trap types of shops and stuff but also some neat things to do and see.

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
Take a couple chest freezers and a buddy or two in LE and pack them full of walleyes and see if you can get off Scott-free like they did here in DL..:;:stirthepot

thriller1

Founding Member
Founding Member
As long as you will be in Green Bay area, ya might as well take in all that Door County has to offer, although i dont think i would haul the camper... leave it at campground. ie..more of a sight seeing day trip. I have Salmon fished out of the Sturgeon Bay area a million years ago in August so not sure what October holds. There are plenty of tourist trap types of shops and stuff but also some neat things to do and see.

If you do go to Door County, check out the Door County Winery. Reay good wine and I am not a a wine guy.

Paddledogger

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Yup...been to Green Bay several times. On you way, take the few miles off the road and go into Chippewa Falls and take the tour of the Leinenkugel's brewery and do some taste testing. https://www.leinie.com

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
A couple 5 gallon jugs of diesel in the box of the truck won't hurt. When I pulled to Kalispell, MT I had fuel, a generator, jack, and tool box in my box. Never needed any of them, but worth of peace mind.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
A couple 5 gallon jugs of diesel in the box of the truck won't hurt. When I pulled to Kalispell, MT I had fuel, a generator, jack, and tool box in my box. Never needed any of them, but worth of peace mind.
Good idea on the diesel, being my pickup will be burning plenty of it, the generator is built in with a 30 gallon fuel tank, so should be good there.

Thanks for the ideas guys, looking forward to the trip, just not the Biden fuel bill.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Cordless high-torque impact w/2 batteries. Impact sockets that fit your truck and the tow vehicle. Breaker-Bar that also fits your sockets.

Bottle-jack

2nd spares for tow rig and trailer. With one spare, you stop the next place you can get a tire fixed. With 2 spares, you stop where you planned to stop.

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mid oct. could get a little chilly. Might be 60, might be 10. A keen eye on the weather ahead a day or 2 might save some frozen pipes. Maybe a little Rv anti freeze along may not be a horrible idea if you have room?

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you get north of Sturgeon Bay you can travel up the west side of the peninsula hitting little tourist shops in Egg Harbor, Sister Bay and up to the end of the peninsula at Gills Rock. I think they still have a Ferry to journey over to Washington Island. Head back down peninsula on east side. Bailey's Harbor is kinda neat.
If your tackle box needs to be replenished, there is /was an awesome tackle shop in Algoma. I think the name of it is actually a hardware store but dang did that place have the tackle...stuff everywhere...i think a guide officed there or something so was always willing to spill his guts/info on what the salmon were biting on. color, etc.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 113
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 69