Smart thermostat

CWS

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looking into getting a smart thermostat for my home. My family is usually pretty busy with activities so it would be nice to be able to lower or raise the temp while away! Looking at the Ecobee Lite but getting mixed reviews. Is there any experience out there with the smart thermostats??

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have the Nest. It learns your routine and will automatically adjust for when you leave for work and when you return home. It was spendy though.

Wags2.0

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Get a basic Honeywell with WiFi. All the really “smart” ones are giant pains in the ass. Service companies love them

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
i have a bryant works good saved us this winter when furnace quite

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
X2 on the basic Honeywell wifi thermostat. Had mine for a few years and does exactly what I want for managing it from my phone. No service fees, free app, temperature alert notifications. Model RTH6580WF or similar.

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ecobee here. No issues at all. Programing can be done web-based, at the thermostat, and/or by the app. I like the auto feature this time of year that allows the thermostat to decide on running the furnace of the AC.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
The fact one is forced to choose heat or cool mode is nuts and I’ve never understood it on digital thermostats for the last 20 yrs. Derp.

Prairie Doggin'

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I saw once on a commercial "you can save up to $84 per year" by using some programable thermostat. Decided then and there -- if it costs me $7 a month to be comfortable, I'm in.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Honeywell 9000 WiFi stat. Will give you alerts if you're away on vacation in the winter and the furnace takes a crap and your ambient temp drops too low. Allows you to call the local HVAC service team to get over and save your pipes from freezing. Plus the Honeywell app is really easy to use.

Avoid Nest. Absolute garbage.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
301665800-rth9585wf-smart-wi-fi-7-day-programmable-color-touch-comfort-comes-in-your-color-9-202.jpg

I bought two of these because I like to redecorate quite often.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
We have Honeywell. Just put it in with a new furnace/ac. CL Linfoot in GF. Super simple. Very happy.
My good buddy is a 32 year heating and cooling shop owner, he put the Honeywell in my house and runs them in his 2 shops, home and lake place. Guessing the guy that works in the business would be partial to the best, so that is what we have run in our house, and 3 years later it still works great.

ShootnBlanks

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have installed ecobee, nest, box store garbage stats, even 2 wire resistor stats. All will work. But I only stock Honeywell in my van. Rarely have any issues. The WiFi stats work great and customers seem to like them. I put them in my house a few years back. Only downside is the wife has the app and likes to change the temps from what a normal person like myself would have it set, to some extreme tropical climate year 'round.

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a little more advanced Honeywell product because my brother was a Honeywell diamond distributor. He gave it to me for free. I have full control from the thermostat, from my phone, and even a remote thermostat on a handheld device in the basement (when I run the gas fireplace). It measures humidity and is also able to be controlled by the remote features (higher or lower). It's 10yrs old but life is so much easier with it than without. My AC or Furnace kicks in fifteen minutes before I arrive home from work (on the schedule) or I just turn it up/down as I'm driving home while out of town. It's the Honeywell Prestige system.

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
1689011222458.png

I bought two of these because I like to redecorate quite often.

Haha. This is the thermostat I have. You can change background colors.

Remember that most of these thermostats require a common wire for power. I had the wire but it wasn't hooked to
the furnace for power. It was a simple procedure, but make sure you have enough wires to do this.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Remember that most of these thermostats require a common wire for power. I had the wire but it wasn't hooked to the furnace for power. It was a simple procedure, but make sure you have enough wires to do this.

Yeah - I bought a common wire power supply version on purpose. Changing batteries is for chumps.

lazyMlazyK

Founding Member
Founding Member
We've had a Nest thermostat for a few years now, have been pretty impressed with it, no complaints. Saved the original analog thermostat in the junk drawer just in case we needed to reuse it. Haven't laid eyes on it for a long time!

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah - I bought a common wire power supply version on purpose. Changing batteries is for chumps.

Mehh, mine have always run on batteries. They last so long that you even forget they are battery operated. On my existing thermostat, I've changed them twice in nine years.

NM 24

Founding Member
Founding Member
I got a different Honeywell non-wifi one late this winter that has a setting for when the thermostat is not calling for heat or cool it runs the HVAC fan 25% of the time randomly circulating the air within the house. I live in a 70s ranch with a full basement and so far this summer it seems to be helping keep the upstairs and the downstairs a little more closer in temperature.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 99
  • This month: 97
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 62