Fiberglass boats

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would rather stay at a campground with some potential shelter if needed, and a marina incase the beer runs dry.

But when I was a younger person, a tent in a secluded beach area would have been tits.

Shockwave

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ended up going with Aluminum. It was the better deal at this time. And WOW boat prices are ridiculous. I'm pretty sure I paid more for the boat than I paid for my truck and camper.

Vollmers

★★★★★ Legendary Member
That first glass boat could navigate the Red River like Vin Dielsel in The fast & the furious!
This.

I'm on my 2nd 'glass boat I haven't beached either of them often, but I sure didn't worry about it when I wanted/needed to. Good keel-guard and ease in to sand/small gravel. Shore lunch and/or the occasional emergency impromptu restroom are a non-issue IMO.

NM 24

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was curious about this if one could still do boat-in shoreline camping on Lake Sakakawea and sent off an email to the USACOE and received this response today:

"Camping is only allowed in designated recreation areas around the lake and we don't allow shoreline camping/dispersed camping on USACE managed lands.

Title 36 is our rules and regulations on Corps of Engineers fee title lands and we don't allow for camping in undesignated areas.

There maybe some WMA that we lease to the game and fish that may allow for camping in the uplands but you would need to contact ND game and Fish to discuss."

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
"Camping is only allowed in designated recreation areas around the lake and we don't allow shoreline camping/dispersed camping on USACE managed lands.

Not directed @ you NM-24, directed @ whomever sent you the answer:

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not directed @ you NM-24, directed @ whomever sent you the answer:

Yeah, ol' Sandstrom tried to motivate people to fight this back in the 90s and early 2000s, but some didn't take it seriously. And for that I will forever be sorry.

- - - Updated - - -

p.s. And that's why I will never buy another camper after Mother Nature eventually destroys the one I have. This state is now experiencing a severe camping spot shortage.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Ended up going with Aluminum. It was the better deal at this time. And WOW boat prices are ridiculous. I'm pretty sure I paid more for the boat than I paid for my truck and camper.

So what did you end up getting? Need some pics of the new fishing chariot!

Shockwave

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'll get pictures when I get actually get it. I went with a Tracker V-175 Combo with the ProXS 115. I wanted the 18 foot, but they didn't have any and didn't know when they were getting more in. I am very impatient when I have my mind set on something and I wanted a new boat right now. I tried to upgrade the powerdrive to the Ulterra, but they didn't have any there. I did, however, have them put the co-pilot on. I guess that will be a future upgrade. I am also having them put another depth finder on the bow. I am hoping to have it by the weekend but it doesn't look promising. God grant me patience.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'll get pictures when I get actually get it. I went with a Tracker V-175 Combo with the ProXS 115.

I just drove a 2 year old version of that this past Sunday. I liked the layout, but the ride was wet. It also loaded up very nice in 30+ mph crosswinds with its custom bunk trailer with guides.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I just drove a 2 year old version of that this past Sunday. I liked the layout, but the ride was wet. It also loaded up very nice in 30+ mph crosswinds with its custom bunk trailer with guides.
Aren’t all aluminum boats a wet ride?

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would rather stay at a campground with some potential shelter if needed, and a marina incase the beer runs dry.

But when I was a younger person, a tent in a secluded beach area would have been tits.

Camping by the water on the beach allow for 24 hour fishing. I always have a few lines in the water when tenting on the beach. I miss it a lot. RVing in a camper with electricity in a campground isn't really camping, it's RVing.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Aren’t all aluminum boats a wet ride?

When compared to glass, probably. But there's still a difference between the different brands of aluminum boats. My Lund Fisherman is nowhere near as wet of a ride as a buddy's Crestliner or the Tracker I recently drove.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
When compared to glass, probably. But there's still a difference between the different brands of aluminum boats. My Lund Fisherman is nowhere near as wet of a ride as a buddy's Crestliner or the Tracker I recently drove.

Independent of material and hull design, the further forward you sit, the drier (and rougher) your ride will be. The transom is the middle of the see-saw.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Independent of material and hull design, the further forward you sit, the drier (and rougher) your ride will be. The transom is the middle of the see-saw.

Quite true. My comparison though is of similar boat layouts and length between the different brands.

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
After DAPL, I'd like to see them stop me from camping on the shoreline.

It aint worth their time to patrol....unless you are living in a van down there selling crystal meth all summer, I think you will be fine. And even then you might get some leeway with this administration! Just use their liberal handbook against them!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75