It's hot

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Damn near every elm in our area took the same hit. Brutal.
This one might be an Ash, but I am not certain, as my tree knowledge is variably lacking.

Back to the heat issue, my wife was in absolute heaven with it, I didn't want to leave the house. 80* is great plenty hot for this overweight older fella.

I keep my house at 68*, drives her nuts. I am in shorts, and a wife beater, and she is in sweats and a hoodie.

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
The street at the entrance to our neighborhood in Grand Forks buckled from the heat Saturday

thumbnail (1).jpg

It looks even worse than that now. Makes my trip to the Rite Spot a little longer, lol.

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
Saw the same thing in Kansas in 1980 on I35 on our way from Texas to Metigoshe for summer vacation and a family re-union. We went thru Salina around 6 in the evening and it was 106°. The Arkansas chicken ranchers were losing chickens by the hundreds.

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
My gauges north of Bismarck had 108 degrees on Friday and 107 degrees on Saturday. The heat in Bismarck also buckled State Street, right in front of the Fairfield Inn. Surprised there's not more.

I'm like Juan... Once it hits the upper 80's I'm indoors for air conditioning. Didn't leave the house on Fri/Sat except to get mail from the mailbox and THAT was outside long enuff. Even when fishing/camping, I'm out on the water at 7am and usually on my trailer bunks before 12:30pm. I want those fish cleaned fast and into my camper where I can get a cold one, AC running on high, shades all down, and vac seal the harvest.

Last summer was a blast furnace all by itself. It appears 2021 is gonna say, 'hold my beer'?

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Tab4FileL.jpg
[FONT=Oxygen, Helvetica, sans-serif]Thunderstorms are expected to develop in the afternoon over northeast Montana and far northwest North Dakota. Storms will become more numerous and spread south and east into the overnight hours. Large hail, damaging winds, and possibly a tornado or two will be threats with these storms.[/FONT]

- - - Updated - - -

Dakota Storm Stalkers tends to get a little carried away. Hyperbole experts.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
didnt take long to remind me why summer is my least favorite time of year

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
1689188196139.png
Thunderstorms are expected to develop in the afternoon over northeast Montana and far northwest North Dakota. Storms will become more numerous and spread south and east into the overnight hours. Large hail, damaging winds, and possibly a tornado or two will be threats with these storms.

- - - Updated - - -

Dakota Storm Stalkers tends to get a little carried away. Hyperbole experts.

So you are saying we might get nothing, as in as good of odds as getting somthing?

I might sneeze and shit my pants, then again I might not.

BP338

Founding Member
Founding Member
Meh, nobody will ever be able to predict the weather. I don't care how good they are.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Meh, nobody will ever be able to predict the weather. I don't care how good they are.

Depending on the accuracy you need, that may be true. But there are a bunch of people out there better at it than a shoe salesman.

BP338

Founding Member
Founding Member
Meh, I don't know the guy. Maybe some of you do. I don't care. I know he gets a little excited about things (Like his post about Scott Hennen, that was funny). But from what I can tell, he enjoys chasing storms and trying to predict the weather. Good for him. My bet is that he can't afford the latest and greatest technology to help him be more accurate.

Either way, he's wrong sometimes (maybe more often than not), and he's right sometimes. It comes with the hobby of being a weather man.

Also, who am I to judge what people do for a living. Everyone wears shoes and even a shoe salesmen should have a hobby.

Capture.jpg

pointer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Did Jamestown area have any serious weather last evening? Have not heard anything yet just seen the storms starting just SE of us and all go through that area it was just one behind the other

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Did Jamestown area have any serious weather last evening? Have not heard anything yet just seen the storms starting just SE of us and all go through that area it was just one behind the other

the storms were "training" all last night - redeveloping over and over again in the same spots

massive flooding I am sure - unimaginable rain

- - - Updated - - -

(see map)

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Did the rain come down so fast it couldn't register in the NDAWN gages? According to guy's map Jamestown got >15 inches. NDAWN shows 2.45".

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ya those weather maps/radar really are accurate. #assumptionsb4reality

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Did the rain come down so fast it couldn't register in the NDAWN gages? According to guy's map Jamestown got >15 inches. NDAWN shows 2.45".

My guess is hail contamination, hail really messes up the algorithms used to estimate rainfall totals. So one needs to calibrate the radar estimates with actual rain gauges to establish a bias, for each and every storm. I've heard of rain totals in excess of 5 inches in that area.

Much of the rain has fallen in the Prairie Pothole Region, so not a lot of developed creeks and streams to flood, but normally dry gullies are sure to have water in them, some roads probably have water going over them, but this isn't a big deal for any of the NWS' river forecast points in the James River basin. The streams that will jump the most are Cottonwood, Bear, Beaver, and Bonehill creeks south of Jamestown.

- - - Updated - - -

Meh, I don't know the guy. Maybe some of you do. I don't care. I know he gets a little excited about things (Like his post about Scott Hennen, that was funny). But from what I can tell, he enjoys chasing storms and trying to predict the weather. Good for him. My bet is that he can't afford the latest and greatest technology to help him be more accurate.

Mehh, he doesn't need money to do what he does. The weather model results are all available online and are paid for by tax dollars. My issue with what he does is that he often cherry picks individual model runs for sensational reasons rather than any professional training.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 118
  • This month: 111
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 96
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 70