User Tag List

  • Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cocky
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Down
  • Drunk
  • Embarrassed
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Grumpy
  • Happy
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh
  • Piratey
  • Sad
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • WTF!?
  • zzz
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Results 1 to 20 of 26
    1. Back To Top    #1
      Ultimate VIP Member
      No Current Status
       
      Mood:
      ----
       
      guywhofishes's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2015
      Location
      Little Minneapolis, ND
      Posts
      12,325
      NDA Points
      405,381
      NDA Level
      100
      Report Entries
      2
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 18,584
      Given: 16,308

      high power binocs

      Because I am now the proud owner of a 6.5 Godsend, I suspect I'll be shooting some really big bucks at 300-500 yd.

      That means I'll need to score them from a great distance with my ancient eyeballs. Problem is that I find spotting scopes to be ocular drudgery compared to binocs. So I am thinking I need a good pair of big buck scoring binocs - but I know very little about them.

      Please advise.

      ps. Hey skeet team, I forgot my phone at home today, so your advise via text will be falling on deaf ears for a bit. I'll read your jabs, insults, and assorted "hey idiot, you shoulda bought that scope we told you about last month" texts when I get home

      0 Not allowed!
      If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.
      ~Doug Larson

    2. Back To Top    #2
      Gold Member
      No Current Status
       
      Mood:
      ----
       

      Join Date
      May 2015
      Posts
      177
      NDA Points
      25,562
      NDA Level
      69
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 136
      Given: 5
      What ever you choose, make sure to put them on a tripod. (Assuming you go with a 15 power bino)

      1 Not allowed!

    3. Back To Top    #3
      VIP Member
      No Current Status
       
      Mood:
      ----
       

      Join Date
      May 2016
      Location
      North Dakota
      Posts
      1,414
      NDA Points
      7,995
      NDA Level
      38
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 1,655
      Given: 605
      Classifieds
      1
      My experience when buying any glass is to make sure you take them outside and maybe at lowlight to look through them. If you want to see how they work at 800 yds, it will help to look at something at 800 yds. You most likely won't be looking at a deer outside the store but you can compare clarity by looking at branches, etc. at long range to see how each set of glass works at a longer range. I'm assuming you know how to set a pair of binoculars for your eyesight. My advice is to try them to help make your decision. You don't have to buy the most expensive pair, but a pretty good general rule is that you will get what you pay for. You don't need to spend $2000, but you won't get anything satisfactory for $100 either. Kind of set a limit of what you want to spend and only try those types. Have looked through high end binoculars and there is definitely a difference in my experience.

      I'm not much of a true trophy hunter. My judgement is not usually based on what I think an animal will score. It's more of a "Holy shit" judgement. If I see a buck that meets that criteria I'm done scoring.

      3 Not allowed!

    4. Back To Top    #4
      Ultimate VIP Member
      No Current Status
       
      Mood:
      ----
       
      guywhofishes's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2015
      Location
      Little Minneapolis, ND
      Posts
      12,325
      NDA Points
      405,381
      NDA Level
      100
      Report Entries
      2
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 18,584
      Given: 16,308
      Quote Originally Posted by Retired Educator View Post
      My judgement is not usually based on what I think an animal will score. It's more of a "Holy shit" judgement. If I see a buck that meets that criteria I'm done scoring.
      same here

      except once in a while there's the "holy #### is that considerably smaller than it looked" moment

      those moments make me sad - especially on the first day of the season

      2 Not allowed!
      If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.
      ~Doug Larson

    5. Back To Top    #5
      Ultimate VIP Member
      No Current Status
       
      Mood:
      ----
       
      johnr's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2015
      Location
      Dickinson
      Posts
      8,313
      NDA Points
      130,036
      NDA Level
      100
      Report Entries
      1
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 10,788
      Given: 9,019
      Quote Originally Posted by Retired Educator View Post
      My experience when buying any glass is to make sure you take them outside and maybe at lowlight to look through them. If you want to see how they work at 800 yds, it will help to look at something at 800 yds. You most likely won't be looking at a deer outside the store but you can compare clarity by looking at branches, etc. at long range to see how each set of glass works at a longer range. I'm assuming you know how to set a pair of binoculars for your eyesight. My advice is to try them to help make your decision. You don't have to buy the most expensive pair, but a pretty good general rule is that you will get what you pay for. You don't need to spend $2000, but you won't get anything satisfactory for $100 either. Kind of set a limit of what you want to spend and only try those types. Have looked through high end binoculars and there is definitely a difference in my experience.

      I'm not much of a true trophy hunter. My judgement is not usually based on what I think an animal will score. It's more of a "Holy shit" judgement. If I see a buck that meets that criteria I'm done scoring.
      My guess is that $2,000 wont be out of the guywhofishes budget. He is likely looking for ones at double that rate, maybe ones he could modify, or build himself?

      5 Not allowed!

    6. Back To Top    #6
      Ultimate VIP Member
      No Current Status
       
      Mood:
      ----
       
      SDMF's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2015
      Posts
      4,824
      NDA Points
      65,325
      NDA Level
      100
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 6,374
      Given: 313
      Quote Originally Posted by guywhofishes View Post
      same here

      except once in a while there's the "holy #### is that considerably smaller than it looked" moment

      those moments make me sad - especially on the first day of the season
      #Groudnshrinkage.

      Probably just nab my 15x Swaro's, haul them to the boxcars for a weekend and decide WTF for yourself.

      1 Not allowed!
      This has been like listening to Nancy Pelosi argue with Ozzy Osborne.

    7. Back To Top    #7
      Ultimate VIP Member
      No Current Status
       
      Mood:
      ----
       
      guywhofishes's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2015
      Location
      Little Minneapolis, ND
      Posts
      12,325
      NDA Points
      405,381
      NDA Level
      100
      Report Entries
      2
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 18,584
      Given: 16,308
      Quote Originally Posted by SDMF View Post
      #Groudnshrinkage.
      is that German for "shooter's regret"?

      3 Not allowed!
      If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.
      ~Doug Larson

    8. Back To Top    #8
      Ultimate VIP Member
      No Current Status
       
      Mood:
      Awesome
       
      Captain Ahab's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2015
      Location
      Timbuktu
      Posts
      4,882
      NDA Points
      165,868
      NDA Level
      100
      Report Entries
      7
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 7,731
      Given: 3,563
      Open the wallet, "creaking sound" then blow the dust out and reach deep for the German/Austrian glass.

      1 Not allowed!
      Last edited by Captain Ahab; 06-09-2021 at 12:52 PM.

    9. Back To Top    #9
      Gold Member
      No Current Status
       
      Mood:
      ----
       

      Join Date
      May 2015
      Posts
      154
      NDA Points
      21,236
      NDA Level
      63
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 156
      Given: 175

      0 Not allowed!

    10. Back To Top    #10
      Ultimate VIP Member
      No Current Status
       
      Mood:
      ----
       
      SDMF's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2015
      Posts
      4,824
      NDA Points
      65,325
      NDA Level
      100
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 6,374
      Given: 313
      Quote Originally Posted by guywhofishes View Post
      is that German for "shooter's regret"?
      Nope, it's Shorthairspeak for "Overrated".

      0 Not allowed!
      This has been like listening to Nancy Pelosi argue with Ozzy Osborne.

    11. Back To Top    #11
      VIP Member
      No Current Status
       
      Mood:
      ----
       
      sweeney's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2015
      Location
      mandan
      Posts
      1,282
      NDA Points
      140,527
      NDA Level
      100
      Report Entries
      31
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 1,905
      Given: 1,713
      Classifieds
      2
      Get either swaro or leica rangefinding ones, will make what your trying to do so much easier.

      1 Not allowed!
      you can trust them with your woman just not your waypoints

    12. Back To Top    #12
      Ultimate VIP Member
      hunting
       
      Mood:
      Piratey
       
      Kurtr's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2015
      Location
      Mobridge,Sd
      Posts
      7,879
      NDA Points
      210,636
      NDA Level
      100
      Report Entries
      10
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 9,361
      Given: 3,059
      Swaro and done with it. Slc 15x56 with outdoorsman adapter on outdoors man tripod. Or comparable Leica or zeiss

      0 Not allowed!
      All the Gods,All the heavens,All the Hells are with in you.

    13. Back To Top    #13
      VIP Member
      No Current Status
       
      Mood:
      ----
       
      Bowhunter_24's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2015
      Posts
      968
      NDA Points
      79,155
      NDA Level
      100
      Report Entries
      2
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 2,093
      Given: 494
      Quote Originally Posted by sweeney View Post
      Get either swaro or leica rangefinding ones, will make what your trying to do so much easier.
      If swaro made a rangefinding bino over 10X I would own them. But they don’t.

      0 Not allowed!
      Train Hard. Hunt Easy

    14. Back To Top    #14
      Member
      No Current Status
       
      Mood:
      ----
       

      Join Date
      Jan 2018
      Posts
      20
      NDA Points
      2,820
      NDA Level
      22
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 7
      Given: 11
      Meopta Meostar 15's on a tripod. Not quite Swarovski but still very high quality European glass. Some even like them more than the Swaro's.

      3 Not allowed!

    15. Back To Top    #15
      Premium Member
      No Current Status
       
      Mood:
      ----
       
      wjschmaltz's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2018
      Location
      Southcentral AK
      Posts
      227
      NDA Points
      30,262
      NDA Level
      76
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 904
      Given: 51
      I have a couple very successful sheep guide friends that have both Swaro and Meopta spotters and take/prefer Meopta.

      Range finding binos have a very specific use. I personally would rather carry both binos and a range finder in most hunting situations.

      1 Not allowed!
      Hunting and fishing photos

    16. Back To Top    #16
      Premium Member
      No Current Status
       
      Mood:
      ----
       

      Join Date
      Aug 2015
      Posts
      361
      NDA Points
      14,459
      NDA Level
      52
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 386
      Given: 8,708
      I've always felt if what I consider a shooter walks out, you won't need binocs to tell, you'll know instantly. I guess I don't need to score them I just have that Holy Shit feeling and thats good enough. I carry an 8 power set of Steiners that sometimes I wish were 10 power but they work well in low light and are quite clear. I've got a big Swaro 20-60 spotting scope that I rarely use anymore, but it is nice to have when you really want to check something out. I find with the spotting scope watching fields you rarely use 60x because by the time the big bucks come out its usually dark enough that 20x works better.

      0 Not allowed!

    17. Back To Top    #17
      Ultimate VIP Member
      No Current Status
       
      Mood:
      ----
       
      SDMF's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2015
      Posts
      4,824
      NDA Points
      65,325
      NDA Level
      100
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 6,374
      Given: 313
      Quote Originally Posted by wjschmaltz View Post
      I have a couple very successful sheep guide friends that have both Swaro and Meopta spotters and take/prefer Meopta.

      Range finding binos have a very specific use. I personally would rather carry both binos and a range finder in most hunting situations.
      The Meopta 20-70 Spotters are fantastic. I have 10x42 and 8x32 Meostar binocs that I also believe to be very good. I'd like to see the 15X Meopta along w/Swaro HD's. I had a pre-HD set of 15x56 Swaro that I didn't like as well because the eye-relief didn't allow me to use my glasses. The newer SLC HD is easy to use with glasses on and has a wider FOV compared to the earlier model.

      Assuming resolution, eye-relief, and FOV were similar, I'd not hesitate to save $$ and buy Meopta over Swaro.

      1 Not allowed!
      This has been like listening to Nancy Pelosi argue with Ozzy Osborne.

    18. Back To Top    #18
      Premium Member
      No Current Status
       
      Mood:
      ----
       
      wslayer's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2015
      Posts
      583
      NDA Points
      7,673
      NDA Level
      37
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 329
      Given: 45
      Meopta 10x42 binos here also. Very nice

      1 Not allowed!

    19. Back To Top    #19
      Ultimate VIP Member
      No Current Status
       
      Mood:
      Friendly
       
      5575's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2015
      Posts
      1,685
      NDA Points
      388,406
      NDA Level
      100
      Report Entries
      8
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 3,754
      Given: 2,487

      1 Not allowed!
      Last edited by 5575; 06-10-2021 at 08:03 PM.

    20. Back To Top    #20
      Ultimate VIP Member
      No Current Status
       
      Mood:
      ----
       
      Lycanthrope's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2015
      Location
      Bismarck
      Posts
      2,402
      NDA Points
      116,960
      NDA Level
      100
      Report Entries
      9
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 1,930
      Given: 3,295
      Quote Originally Posted by BGH View Post
      What ever you choose, make sure to put them on a tripod. (Assuming you go with a 15 power bino)
      Even a monopod can help a ton with binocs, and is much easier to move around with...

      0 Not allowed!

    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •  


    About Nodak Angler

      NodakAngler is a community of outdoors enthusiasts. Our primary focus is to provide a great place for North Dakota sportsmen to gather, discuss, and participate. All are welcome.

    Business & Contact

    Follow us on

    Facebook Instagram Twitter YouTube