Trailer Hubs Warm?

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
stop pumping grease before the buddy’s zerk/plate comes all the way forward

you want to leave it “wobbly”... still standing on the internal spring

once it comes all the way forward and you keep pumping you’re pushing on seals harder than the spring can

- - - Updated - - -

there’s a brand that pumps grease to the back of the bearing assembly

cant recall the name

Dexter I think?

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had the same bearing buddies for years and I dropped it in the ocean all the time. The morning we were going fishing I pumped grease into the buddy until the pressure plate started to move and then quit. Never blew a seal.

ps: the ocean off San Jose was a constant 50°± so the hubs took an immediate cold water bath.

Last edited:

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't know if bearing buddies really do anything at all, the only time you see them is on boat trailers. Not sure that the whole wet environment is really solved by them regardless. But yes, don't pump them till the spring is full, you'll blow out the seals. All the heavy duty trailers use plain old caps so I'd have no hesitation using them on a boat trailer. Probably seal up better than a bearing buddy anyway.

Some make hollow axles that pump the grease out of the spindle. I had one and couldn't tell a difference other than the grease did get to the rear bearing easier.

In terms of heat, they're going to be warm no question. Once they reach the point of hot (not pleasant to touch) I have always found a problem when I tore into them, so I do get a little excited at that point. Changing a tire sucks bad enough beside the road. Trying to hammer out a shredded bearing race on the tailgate is a do it once in a lifetime thing. I'll repack and check bearings regularly to avoid that anytime.

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't know if bearing buddies really do anything at all, the only time you see them is on boat trailers. Not sure that the whole wet environment is really solved by them regardless. But yes, don't pump them till the spring is full, you'll blow out the seals. All the heavy duty trailers use plain old caps so I'd have no hesitation using them on a boat trailer. Probably seal up better than a bearing buddy anyway.

You don't see bearing buddies on heave duty trailers because those trailers do not get dunked in the water AT ALL. I think if you used "plain old caps" on a boat trailer you wouldn't last much over a year if you trailered much.

My advise even tho you didn't ask is: DON'T!

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
What KDM said. Don’t worry about it unless it’s too hot to touch.

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
If it was me I would jack it up. Take the tire off then take hub off and repack the bearing. Its about a 1/2 hr job per side. Either put grease in the palm of one hand and just scrap the grease into the bearing or buy a grease packer. It is such a easy job.

DakotaGreg

Established Member
I had to back off the castle nut on the hub spindle yesterday at the boat ramp. A tight castle nut on the spindle can had extra friction.

huntinforfish

Founding Member
Founding Member
I always packed annually or before a long trip. Never an issue for me. I agree with castle nut being tighter on that side. Pops drilled that into me when I was young and would help pack bearings. " You kids always tighten things too much!" Snugish, then back to next hole.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76