Lund transom

ndweimer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looking at buying a lund that has a bad transom. Anyone on here ever tackled the repair themselve? Its a mid 1990's pro v.

Callem'In

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have and it is pretty straight forward. I recommend replacement with composite material.

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Buddy looked into it for his. It would be pretty inexpensive to do with marine plywood if Lund would provide a template or computer file to make a template but they will not. He said Lund will sell a new composite transom but they aren't cheap and neither is shipping. If you do it on your own take care to salvage the old enough to use as a template.

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
I drove by Gibbons a couple weeks ago and I think there was a for sale sign in front - are they still open?

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Gibbons is done July 1 and already stopped taking on new work. Some of their guys are setting up over at River City but will be a couple months before they're ready. Unfortunately if you pay someone to do it and insurance does not cover it you will almost certainly be upside down on a 25 year old boat.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I ordered a composite transom and repaired it in my garage. If it is anything like mine you will not have enough of an old piece to use as a template. My old transom wood was about like powder. I removed t most of it with a shop vac and a pry bar. The job is not super technical, it just takes time. I had to remove the foam to get to the nuts/bolts. A shop vac and a big wood bit was able to grind the foam out.

ndweimer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I ordered a composite transom and repaired it in my garage. If it is anything like mine you will not have enough of an old piece to use as a template. My old transom wood was about like powder. I removed t most of it with a shop vac and a pry bar. The job is not super technical, it just takes time. I had to remove the foam to get to the nuts/bolts. A shop vac and a big wood bit was able to grind the foam out.

Did you buy your composite from Lund?

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Did you buy your composite from Lund?

You have to go through a dealer. I tried to buy direct initially. You might want to ask a couple dealers what they would charge as the ball is in their court for markup. I got mine for $600 plus shipping. It was oversize so they charged me $100 for shipping.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have done a few and will have to eventually on my Lund. How those idiots didn't put any sealant on the transom bolts is beyond comprehension to me, but whatever.

But like Ahab said, if you have a place it just takes time. You have to be able to unhook and lift the motors off, then store them. I built a stand to hang/bolt the motors to. That was the biggest challenge. After that, you'll probably have to grind/drill the rivets of the splash pan out to get to the back side of the transom bolts. Then remove foam to get to them. Once all the bolts are out, remove the old material as you can. It might be wet sawdust or a swelled & wedged piece. I drilled with a spade bit and then drove lags into the remaining good part and lifted with a cherry picker to pull a big chunk out. Patterning frankly isn't that hard, so if you can get a piece of composite material and can measure you can do it without too much issue. Then, just reverse the process with a bunch of 3M 5200 to seal things up.

I have "heard" that Lund was helping out the early 2000's owners by providing the material, even though there was no warranty. Anyone hear this? Mine is of that era unfortunately.....

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is from 2015. Crestliner, not Lund but of course both ARE Brunswick. This was completed in the New York Mills Lund facility:

F0C01AA6-F084-4DE2-B68C-33342B8EDD1E.jpg

thats what they charged me on a 9yr old boat that was always inside except for the days I fished.

Vollmers

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Oh boy here we go...…..;)
This is from 2015. Crestliner, not Lund but of course both ARE Brunswick. This was completed in the New York Mills Lund facility:

361898958_278890791392008_5460825490180031951_n.jpg

thats what they charged me on a 9yr old boat that was always inside except for the days I fished.

ndweimer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Did Alumacraft ever have transom issues like Lund?

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
We fixed ours by installing a piece of 1/4 inch aluminum and bolting it on. Fixed it to this day.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 102
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 77
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 66