2 stroke vs. 4 stroke

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
troll in reverse should be enough, otherwise a drift sock off the front hook will do ya

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a 177 Warrior with a 75hp Merc 2 stroke on it . Both 91 models. No wind going in reverse it gets down to 1.5 mph, going forward its at 2.5. Very seldom notice it smoking (its oil injected) if your motor is smoking, something needs to be adjusted as its getting to much oil.

Eyelife

Been runnin 4 strokes for 15 years, love em! My lil lake rig is a 2003 Lund pro angler 16 w/ 2003 Yamaha 4 stroke 60 hp tiller. Trolls down to 1.2, top end is 31mph, and is very quiet.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a 177 Warrior with a 75hp Merc 2 stroke on it . Both 91 models. No wind going in reverse it gets down to 1.5 mph, going forward its at 2.5. Very seldom notice it smoking (its oil injected) if your motor is smoking, something needs to be adjusted as its getting to much oil.

I never smell smoke -- if come in at wot to a dock and wind is at my back - i smell exhaust similiar to my buddies 4 stroke

Even my auger -- i started using some type of synthetic that you mix a fraction of what you mixed the blue stuff and i dont smell anything. Feel that XD oil - - its like sticky glue shit. It doesnt take much to make it work -- especially at an idle.

depending on engine size you can troll 350 hours on one gallon of that etec (i am assuming opti too) oil. 4 stroke meanwhile recommends a 100 hour oil change. That 4 stroke will use more oil in the same 350 hours. Enviromental my ass. End of story. Same people who hugged a tree wanted to get rid of the 2 strokes.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I never smell smoke -- if come in at wot to a dock and wind is at my back - i smell exhaust similiar to my buddies 4 stroke

Even my auger -- i started using some type of synthetic that you mix a fraction of what you mixed the blue stuff and i dont smell anything. Feel that XD oil - - its like sticky glue shit. It doesnt take much to make it work -- especially at an idle.

depending on engine size you can troll 350 hours on one gallon of that etec (i am assuming opti too) oil. 4 stroke meanwhile recommends a 100 hour oil change. That 4 stroke will use more oil in the same 350 hours. Enviromental my ass. End of story. Same people who hugged a tree wanted to get rid of the 2 strokes.
I dump all my used oil into the river, cause, fuck em

ndweimer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Found a boat with carbureted 60hp Mercury 4 stoke. Anyone have any knowledge of this motor?

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Found a boat with carbureted 60hp Mercury 4 stoke. Anyone have any knowledge of this motor?

1st thing I'd do is pull the hood off and see if it says "Yamaha" on the block somewhere. The early Merc 4-strokes had Yamaha tops and Merc mid/lower units.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 77
  • This month: 76