Minnkota Spot Lock

GET THE NET

Its probably been brought up on here before but I can't find it.
I have an Ulterra trolling motor with Ipilot. When I use spot lock after a while the cord will get twisted around the head. Is there an update a guy can do to prevent this? I would think they have this figured out. The thing knows exactly where it needs to be without twisting up the cord when I hit the stow button.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have an old one ---

a. big motor is down
b. Position the boat so the trolling motor is into the wind/current
c. Run it for a few seconds off spot lock so its sort of in place then hit the button

If the wind is to strong or sometimes to little i may have issues then its just not spot lock time; 9 times out 10 though i never have any issues. you can calibrate em and all this other sht.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mine will unwind itself if it gets too twisted.

I'll admit it, I hate a full twist or anything greater. I turn off the spot-lock, spin the motor quick and re-lock.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'll admit it, I hate a full twist or anything greater. I turn off the spot-lock, spin the motor quick and re-lock.

Same with my XI5. Why chance it?

I had an old MK that twisted a cable off. Pissed me off pretty bad. One of the reasons I jumped to MG.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have the old school Terrova spot lock. That thing swings the ass end of the boat around terribly bad when in the wind. Is there a GPS up grade for the old ones that anyone knows about? Sock or 5 gal bucket is the only way to keep it close without swinging like a merry-go-round.

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Terrova spot lock is only based on trolling motor head GPS. It attempts to keep that unit close to the set point. It has no idea or concern what the rest of the boat does. You have to use some judgement of wind and current to position the boat before spot locking if you want to minimize frustration.

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
Terrova spot lock is only based on trolling motor head GPS. It attempts to keep that unit close to the set point. It has no idea or concern what the rest of the boat does. You have to use some judgement of wind and current to position the boat before spot locking if you want to minimize frustration.
They do include the heading sensor puck now that is supposed to help. Can’t imagine it’s possible to get rid of all back end sway in wind or current as the motor only has control at the bow after all. But yes, older ones are known for the coil issue.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
a lot of times i will drop a anchor off the back corner of the boat when its windy and i have the sensor puck.

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
Buy the new technology Bluetooth with gps puck all problems solved.

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have the old school Terrova spot lock. That thing swings the ass end of the boat around terribly bad when in the wind. Is there a GPS up grade for the old ones that anyone knows about? Sock or 5 gal bucket is the only way to keep it close without swinging like a merry-go-round.

When it's dead calm, sometimes I'll run the kicker in reverse at the lowest RPM. When there's a wind, I'll run the kicker forward with a little gas. This reduces the swing quite a bit. When it's windy, the kicker greatly extends battery life and doesn't swing as bad in the waves either.

I have a first gen Terrova spot lock and have liked it. But just bought a new one. I'm going all in on Hummingbird.

sdtransplant

Established Member
I have the gen 1 (2014 model ) terrova , the spot lock sucks on it. It will run 15 ft past then damn near throw you out of the seat when it goes 15ft back to the spot or even 15ft past , would putting a gps puck on help the problem ?

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have the gen 1 (2014 model ) terrova , the spot lock sucks on it. It will run 15 ft past then damn near throw you out of the seat when it goes 15ft back to the spot or even 15ft past , would putting a gps puck on help the problem ?

I don't think the old ones communicate with the heading sensor pucks unless you maybe put a new head on the motor, which would be about the same cost as upgrading to a whole new motor.

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't think the old ones communicate with the heading sensor pucks unless you maybe put a new head on the motor, which would be about the same cost as upgrading to a whole new motor.

The gos antenna is internal on the new Min Kotas. The puck is a compass and communicates via Bluetooth.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 166
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76