Electric Garage Door Opener Recommendations

Retired-Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a 20 year old Overhead Door Python 2 garage door opener that is on the fritz. Anyone have a recommendation for a good reliable replacement. I think it is 3/4 HP but there is nothing in the manual or on the unit verifying that at least as far as I have found. The door is 16 X 7 insulated steel. Thanks for your input.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Chamberlain My Q is what mine is. Not exactly sure what model right now. Same door, Chain drive

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I installed two Chamberlain units from Menards when we bought the house 12 years ago. Never had an issue with either of them. One is on a 16x7 and the other on an 8x7.

ORCUS DEMENS

Founding Member
Founding Member
just put two chamberlain chain drives in garage. Did not opt for the phone control model. New chain drives are surprisingly quiet compared to previous ones.

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I went with the direct drives in my shop. No track and no chain. I really like them.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I like direct drive or side mount openers because they operate so smooth. The opener turns the lifting shaft instead of puling on the door. Same garage door, same track and tension springs but no pulling on the door. More money but certainly worth looking into.

Should add that I'm not sure how they work on a door where the springs pull on the door to lift instead of the torsion springs that aid in turning the lifting shaft.

Last edited:

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
I replaced a 3/4HP on my 16x7 steel insulated door last summer. Went with Chamberlain. The phone control thing is pretty cool. I can check to see how long it's been open or closed, or if it IS open or closed, with my phone. I can also open or close it with my phone.

The few extra dollars in initial cost, has long been forgotten. The ease with which I can open it for my kids or mother-in-law, is nice.

For instance, I see right now that the double-door has been open for 51 minutes. $@&*% kids!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 119
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 96
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 70