north gate dam bluegills

carsronnie

used to catch bluegill by the hundreds the last 5 years. 2 trips this year, none! we never kept more than what we ate over the weekend. what happened?

garden

Founding Member
Founding Member
There were a couple hundred cormorants or more there last summer. Don't know what impact they had, but not positive for sure.

Smuscha

Everyone and their brother taking limits out of there every other day is what happened. Small lake, can’t take that kind of pressure.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Everyone and their brother taking limits out of there every other day is what happened. Small lake, can’t take that kind of pressure.

You'd think that wouldn't ya?

But Brewer near Fargo takes a continuous pounding and keeps on pumping out bluegills. (125 acres vs Northgate's 158 acres)

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Brewer Lake? Hadn’t heard about it until now but sounds like it’s about time for me to start calling my friends from out east so we can arrange a trip! Yippee! I just keep the cheeks from my bluegills.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Brewer Lake? Hadn’t heard about it until now but sounds like it’s about time for me to start calling my friends from out east so we can arrange a trip! Yippee! I just keep the cheeks from my bluegills.

Do your worst!

Brewer has sustained continuous abuse for decades. It's also a full blown Hillbilly Riviera - you and your band of gypsies will fit right in.

- - - Updated - - -

How deep does it get there? Winter kill?
https://gf.nd.gov/gnf/maps/fishing/lakecontours/northgate2020.pdf

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Naw, I was kidding. No way would I associate with anyone who lives east of Bismarck.

In all seriousness, I used to fish Northgate for trout mostly but caught some monster bluegills. That lake has winter killed several times. Same with Crown Butte…another lake that always seemed to winter kill about the time the bluegills hit about a pound and the trout got really nice. I used to catch some monster bluegills on flies at McDowell also. That lake would routinely crap out too and the reset button had to be hit. Summer kill can be as big of an issue as winter kill in some of these small bodies of water.

Last edited:

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
It's funny there is any fish in Northgate with all farm fertilizer running it every spring and even this last rain we had a couple of weeks ago filled it up with runoff from the fields, to me it's totally polluted, some of the Bluegills last year had worms in them

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's funny there is any fish in Northgate with all farm fertilizer running it every spring and even this last rain we had a couple of weeks ago filled it up with runoff from the fields, to me it's totally polluted, some of the Bluegills last year had worms in them
Does it also make their filets squishy?

R@nger_BO@TS

Honored Member
Back like 6 years ago on North Gate we had a day we’re we caught like 60 16-18 inch walleye and it was insane but never again did we have any luck for walleye out their. No clue why we got into them like that and never again but haven’t fished it in 4 years.

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
My boy and the grandkids caught some nice Bluegills back in Sept.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I gotta agree,years back we fished gills and jumbo perch on small alkali lakes in valentine Nebraska, gills 12" p l us,word spread via outdoor writers, last trip to the Sandhill refuge in hopes of a few monter gills....nothing,got licensed check by a usfw agent,local guy,he said once word got out these small lakes were invaded by fisher ppl by the 100's,both summer and winter 7 days/week, nail in coffin.

Maddog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The Gazeteer closely followed by the internet has been the downfall of many a hunting and fishing hotspot (s)

And last but not least, Onyx

Last edited:

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
Naw, I was kidding. No way would I associate with anyone who lives east of Bismarck.

In all seriousness, I used to fish Northgate for trout mostly but caught some monster bluegills. That lake has winter killed several times. Same with Crown Butte…another lake that always seemed to winter kill about the time the bluegills hit about a pound and the trout got really nice. I used to catch some monster bluegills on flies at McDowell also. That lake would routinely crap out too and the reset button had to be hit. Summer kill can be as big of an issue as winter kill in some of these small bodies of water.
We had fun catching trout up there a couple of years ago.

VDAWG

Founding Member
Founding Member

Back in my youth about 25 years ago, I caught some monster bluegills at McDowell.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 169
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77