I have heard spreading titty sprinkles around the tent at nite works. ;:;rofl

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
titty-sprinkles.jpg

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
44 mag always works…… knee cap your buddy and run like hell the bear will go to him because of the screaming.

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
What's with stupid mean people like you? Damn. Can't you just keep your pie hole shut? First, I'm not going to buy used, expired bear spray. I never said that. I want to buy unused, unexpired spray that people have bought and never used. Just because someone bought it and never used it doesn't mean it's crap. What is wrong with you?

Sorry. Hope I didn’t trigger you with my big mean Internet words. Stupid mean people? I’m sorry. If anyone needs me I’ll be crying myself to sleep on my huckleberry pillow in my bacon flavored tent. Hopefully this will appease both the grizzly bears and whiny tightwads that want to borrow a cup of bear spray from the neighbors.

I figured as someone who lives and works as a wildlife biologist in grizzly country, I could offer some tough love and put a few things in perspective. You said, “that stuff is expensive”. Have you looked into the cost of getting your body reassembled? Furthermore, if you ask this mob of blowhards and self professed experts on every topic any question, you have to assume there will be some barbed replies.

I did say with all due respect. That means I can say whatever I want. It’s in the Geneva Convention.

Last edited:

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sorry. Hope I didn’t trigger you with my big mean Internet words. Stupid mean people? I’m sorry. If anyone needs me I’ll be crying myself to sleep on my huckleberry pillow in my bacon flavored tent. Hopefully this will appease both the grizzly bears and whiny tightwads that want to borrow a cup of bear spray from the neighbors.

I figured as someone who lives and works as a wildlife biologist in grizzly country, I could offer some tough love and put a few things in perspective. You said, “that stuff is expensive”. Have you looked into the cost of getting your body reassembled? Furthermore, if you ask this mob of blowhards and self professed experts on every topic any question, you have to assume there will be some barbed replies.

I did say with all due respect. That means I can say whatever I want. It’s in the Geneva Convention.
Being called a blowhard and hurt me!! I’ll be in the corner sucking my thumb and hugging my blankie for the better part of the weekend now.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
When I was out in Glacier a couple summers ago, they rented bear spray by the day.

I am not sure why I should be any more scared of buying an unused can of bear spray from someone on NDA than I would be renting one from one of the outfitters in the area.

That being said, bear spray is one of the cheapest things associated with a trip to bear country. Pretty sure I spent quite a bit more on pizza and beer during my stay.

fly2cast

Founding Member
Founding Member

Yep, and you're still a dick. I figure as someone that is a member of the human race for 50 years, I would offer some tough love and let you know how to communicate the right way.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, the spray is a significant cost. I have four adultish kids plus me needing it. Thats around $200, about the same cost of gas. My lodging is free. Fishing will be $300. Food, about $150 more than if I stayed at home. Other costs, IDK. So I figure if I could save a few dollars getting high quality, non expired, good-as-new, spray, why not? I understand some of you like to spend your money freely. But then don't bitch when the cost of a gas goes up a dime because obviously you shouldn't care.

dblkluk

★★★ Legendary Member
Where are you headed? Lots of places rent it and there are a number of "bear spray and cooler exchange" pages on FB. (for those who fly in and and out and cant travel with either)

I'll have to look at a couple of my cans but I think I have two that expire the end of this year that I'd consider selling, as I'll be buying new ones anyway.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am one that has always tried to save a few bucks where possible. Don't see anything wrong with that, but when it comes to safety I would definitely not want something that is expired. Since F2C never mentioned expired, I don't know why that came into the conversation. But maybe I missed something or misread it, as that is very possible too.
We all need to relax a little and not be so wound tight, at least at times in our lives.
Older one gets the more you realize what you used to think was super inportant, is not that important anymore.
Family is important, friends are important, and enjoying life to the fullest is important!!!!!! :;:exactly

wjschmaltz

★★★★★ Legendary Member
We usually replace our spray every other year with the 2 packs of UDAP they sell at Costco for like $30-$40. Probably a regional item, but you could likely order online. Also check camofire like someone else suggested.

I disagree with most posts on this subject so far. Especially if I’m hunting, I always keep food in my tent. No thanks on a bear running off with all my food for 10 days. Only exception is if I’m on Kodiak and IF I’m even in a place where I can hang it. Goat country on Kodiak, food is in the tent. Every weekend we’re out camping in bear country and although I store the majority of food in the pickup, we always have snacks in the tent and often eat breakfast in the tent by the stove. Most of the time we’re on salmon streams (Kenai, Crescent, Buskin, Russian) and bears could care less about bacon and eggs. I always keep a 44 in a stopbox in the tent when just out casual (non hunting) camping.

No way in hell am I walking around with a shotgun/rifle everywhere I go. That’s reaching paranoia levels of the pictures of people in grocery stores with plastic covid shields built around them. Just stay home if you’re that scared. The only time I carry a long gun specifically for bear protection is while actually baiting for bears and I carry my 375. The whole shotgun thing always sounds great, but I’ve been within that 20 yard range of curious/angry grizzlies a few times and I never once though about a warning shot or wishing I could “pepper” it. I’m just waiting for it to make its move and sending 300 grains from his nose to his ass if he makes the wrong one. I know of a handful of guys that have had to DLP grizzlies/brown bears with a 375 or 45-70 and all instances have stopped bears cold. I know one instance where a friend had his work issue him a shotgun with slugs for a remote job and they had to DLP a brown bear. It did the job, but he described it as a damn rodeo and said he would never even consider it again.

The vast majority of the time I carry only spray. Exceptions are a long hike that isn’t traveled often by humans or if I’m fishing alone in the middle of the night. Then I’ll also grab a 10 mm or 44. If I see the bear coming, I’m plenty confident with spray and playing the wind. If I surprise a bear or it comes at me off trail, it likely won’t matter if I have a rifle, spray, or bare knuckle boxing as a defense.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
DLP???

I guess I don't know what that stands for...

“Defense of Life and Property”. Ultimately it’s means the bear got kiltified.

We Caribou hunted the N Slope of AK in ‘11. When we got back to camp we found out that a bear had been DLP’d about 5-6 Mi upriver from use by another group. We didn’t ever see or hear a bear.

Last edited:

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
we had a grizz go through camp at night when i was with my kids. I thought he was just passing through early in the evening. About midnite he started raising hell. I couldnt sleep a wink. My brother's family (they are used to bears) slept like a rock. He didnt mess with the tents but he sure as shit was messing with somebodys shit. Growling and banging noises all mnight and no he wasnt with his girlfriend. It was a tired two days of camping

My brother -- they had one bear reach into the tent (wasnt a grizz) and he took his boot and hit its paw when it started reaching for the granola bar stash. Had another incedent picking berries --- they picked one side and the bear was picking the other (neither knew) His daughter who was young at the time was reaching for berries and put her hand on a paw. The damn bear was so scared it jumped up into the air and ran off.

I read some of these bear huggers comments on FB. The whole food in the tent --- she is camping in town and took the food out of the tent. If that would of been some kid outside his home I wonder what the huggers would of said then.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's been disproven, although most old timers still believe it.

Actually the liberals that care more for bears than people push that bs. Much like the professors at the world area in the Lamar Valley telling mushy brained college punks that wolves only eat the old and sick. Old and sick, global change, bear spray keep it all. I have bear spray simply to appease every duck head on the trail.I was coming north of Ovando and didn't hear anything about this until I filled diesel at Bob's market in Helena yesterday.

I cast my own 310 gr 44 bullets and push them at 1300fps. Bear spray I the face is not as effective as a 44 in the melon.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 76