Ranger Boat Cover Waterproofing

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Revivex

Pay particular attention to the label’s advice on the article being clean prior to treatment.

And just like the boat tarp stuff - be careful where you apply this treatment - it can make the floor very slippery.

- - - Updated - - -

I think it’s sprayed on while the article is wet - after washing.

Then you set it by drying the article in the dryer? Or air dry - can’t recall.

That sounds about right. I washed a set of Scheels Outfitters rain parka and bibs, then applied this stuff. I haven't used the bibs much lately, but wore the parka over waders recently, in a couple-hour session and they shucked all the wet stuff.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Update:
I used the Star Brite waterproofing and was careful with the install as suggested by [MENTION=337]guywhofishes[/MENTION]. I put the cover on the boat and scrubbed/washed it with a flow thru RV brush using plain water. Let dry completely in the sun including a flip to make sure the underside was fully dry. Set up a boat shaped system of trash totes, ironing board and ladder ball game in the yard to spread the cover out at comfortable spraying height.

Yesterday seemed like ideal weather with little wind, high temp, low humidity and low dew point. Wore long sleeve hooded shirt, pants, nitrile gloves, glasses and mask. Tried to stay out of the overspray. Applied thoroughly while avoiding puddling/saturating while giving special attention at stitched seams. Only caught a slight smell a couple times.

Bottle suggests 6 hours dry time before moving. I got about 5 hours in before bringing it in before bed but was comfortable with that given the weather. Brought it inside and loosely draped it on the boat. No noticeable odor in the garage this morning. Cover looks and feels physically better. Another reason to hope for rain so I can see how it did. Would be hard to make the grass look much worse, so figured it would be better to risk overspray on the lawn than concrete.

All in cost about $55 for Star Brite and cheap Walmart sprayer. Took around 10 hours but only about 2 hours of work.
Why couldn't you just leave the tarp on the boat?

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Why couldn't you just leave the tarp on the boat?
1. Didn't know what (if any) effect the overspray and bleed through might have on gel coat, wax, rubber, plastic, trailer and anything else it might have contacted.

2. Wanted air flow beneath the tarp to help dry faster after spraying.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
May need to spray the Otter flip over. Snow melting on the top started seeping its way in after awhile last winter.
@guywhofishes , any experience spraying anything with gortex just for extra water shedding or would it affect the membrane ?

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
May need to spray the Otter flip over. Snow melting on the top started seeping its way in after awhile last winter.
@guywhofishes , any experience spraying anything with gortex just for extra water shedding or would it affect the membrane ?
From what I know the water-beading sprays are to bead water on the cover fabric - they don't help the Gore membrane.

CLEAN Gore-Tex does its job (if it's intact) so it doesn't needs "help".

The problem is that many detergents or pre-cleaners contain surfactants, etc. that mess up the clean Gore membrane's performance. Gore suggests washing gear with old school powdered detergent with no fancy stain fighters etc... rinsing really well, and treating the outer cover fabric with a water beading product like Revivex.

https://www.gearaid.com/collections/revivex

I hose the skirts of my shelters down with the tarp water-proofing so ice doesn't stick to them.
Again - watch where that crap lands - wherever it lands it's going to be slippery as the devil and will screw up a garage floor or driveway.

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use 303 Fabric Guard on my heavy canvas type lund cover every 3 to 4 years said my guy who does many types of custom covers for floating toys.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
@guywhofishes ,
Going to spray my Otter flip over. Did you soak things pretty good when you sprayed or is just a light coating all that is needed?

FightingSioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
From what I know the water-beading sprays are to bead water on the cover fabric - they don't help the Gore membrane.

CLEAN Gore-Tex does its job (if it's intact) so it doesn't needs "help".

The problem is that many detergents or pre-cleaners contain surfactants, etc. that mess up the clean Gore membrane's performance. Gore suggests washing gear with old school powdered detergent with no fancy stain fighters etc... rinsing really well, and treating the outer cover fabric with a water beading product like Revivex.

https://www.gearaid.com/collections/revivex

I hose the skirts of my shelters down with the tarp water-proofing so ice doesn't stick to them.
Again - watch where that crap lands - wherever it lands it's going to be slippery as the devil and will screw up a garage floor or driveway.
Revivex have that forever chemical ptfe? Not a fan of that stuff in our water supplies!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74