Ranger Boat Cover Waterproofing

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
My original Ranger cover from 2009 is in good shape physically but is no longer waterproof. I want to apply a product to restore waterproofing. Would appreciate product/procedure recommendations from anyone in the know.

Tag on the bag indicates it was made for Ranger by TriVantage. I assume it is woven acrylic fabric but don't know how to confirm. If it is acrylic, some googling leads me to a "fluoropolymer-based product" but no specific product.

Last edited:

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've had good luck with this stuff - applied with a cheap gallon yard sprayer.

good stuff.jpg

Caution: chemical stink for a few days

also - don't apply it on concrete or flooring unless you want that spot to be treacherously slippery (mother in law's garage floor for example)

- - - Updated - - -

[used it on various covers and popup shelters - not your particular cover]

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
LOL... Mother-in-law's garage floor.. Funny! I suppose you went to "fix" her basement stairs, by replacing with a ramp too?!

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
also - don't breath the mist - and wear gloves when you deal with stuff like this that contains "teflons" (PTFE)

the smell alone should set off yer spidey senses not to make skin/lung contact with this stuff - it literally smells bad for you until the solvents evaporate after a few days

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
also - don't breath the mist - and wear gloves when you deal with stuff like this that contains "teflons" (PTFE)

the smell alone should set off yer spidey senses not to make skin/lung contact with this stuff - it literally smells bad for you until the solvents evaporate after a few days
Would this work for sealing a fairly large gap area. I have a need for some water proofing on an item that also needs to seal about a 2 inch gap

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
nope - it’s just a water-shedding coating

no gap filling properties whatsoever - especially YETI coolers that have received the cowboy treatment

Last edited:

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Update:
I used the Star Brite waterproofing and was careful with the install as suggested by [MENTION=337]guywhofishes[/MENTION]. I put the cover on the boat and scrubbed/washed it with a flow thru RV brush using plain water. Let dry completely in the sun including a flip to make sure the underside was fully dry. Set up a boat shaped system of trash totes, ironing board and ladder ball game in the yard to spread the cover out at comfortable spraying height.

Yesterday seemed like ideal weather with little wind, high temp, low humidity and low dew point. Wore long sleeve hooded shirt, pants, nitrile gloves, glasses and mask. Tried to stay out of the overspray. Applied thoroughly while avoiding puddling/saturating while giving special attention at stitched seams. Only caught a slight smell a couple times.

Bottle suggests 6 hours dry time before moving. I got about 5 hours in before bringing it in before bed but was comfortable with that given the weather. Brought it inside and loosely draped it on the boat. No noticeable odor in the garage this morning. Cover looks and feels physically better. Another reason to hope for rain so I can see how it did. Would be hard to make the grass look much worse, so figured it would be better to risk overspray on the lawn than concrete.

All in cost about $55 for Star Brite and cheap Walmart sprayer. Took around 10 hours but only about 2 hours of work.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
good work

It basically makes water bead and run off vs sheeting and seeping in.

Last 4 years or so in my experience.

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
20220527_213857.jpg20220527_213904.jpg

Never got a chance to see how it did with the drought last year. Got some rain on it in Beulah this evening and it beads water like new. Highly recommended.

Thanks [MENTION=337]guywhofishes[/MENTION]

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've had good luck with this stuff - applied with a cheap gallon yard sprayer.

F8256E28-6732-4CBC-BB24-D3433B5084E0.jpeg

Caution: chemical stink for a few days

also - don't apply it on concrete or flooring unless you want that spot to be treacherously slippery (mother in law's garage floor for example)

- - - Updated - - -

[used it on various covers and popup shelters - not your particular cover]
Curious how many years of water proofing this brings?

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
3-4 years in my experience
I’m sure it varies with how many wet/dry cycles, stored indoors vs out, sun exposure, dust, etc.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
A good ending to this thread. This the type of thread that makes this site great.

Well, that and legalized drugs, docking a dogs ears, covid rants, passing lane rants, pics of my fish, and a few other topics.

:)

Jaykay

buckhunter24_7

Founding Member
Founding Member
3-4 years in my experience
I’m sure it varies with how many wet/dry cycles, stored indoors vs out, sun exposure, dust, etc.
have you used it on any breathable rain gear? I Got some expensive gear that doesn’t work after only two years

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
have you used it on any breathable rain gear? I Got some expensive gear that doesn’t work after only two years

I don't recall the name of the product, but guy turned me onto some DWR recoating stuff, that I tried. Works excellent. It's applied in the washing machine, if memory serves. Wait, and he'll tell you.

Jaykay

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't recall the name of the product, but guy turned me onto some DWR recoating stuff, that I tried. Works excellent. It's applied in the washing machine, if memory serves. Wait, and he'll tell you.

Jaykay

Revivex

Pay particular attention to the label’s advice on the article being clean prior to treatment.

And just like the boat tarp stuff - be careful where you apply this treatment - it can make the floor very slippery.

- - - Updated - - -

I think it’s sprayed on while the article is wet - after washing.

Then you set it by drying the article in the dryer? Or air dry - can’t recall.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76