Old guy, old rifle, old reloads

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
1947 model Icelander, Remington 700/270win 1982 model, Reloads from 1992. Federal brass, Federal 210 primers, 140 grain Hornady, 56.5 gr. H 4831.

Put a Bell and Carlson stock on. Leupold 3x9, After bore sighting went to the range Sunday morning and was extremely pleased with the group. 5 at 50 yds at 1 3/8 inches. Which to most on here is terrible
:;:stirthepot I thought it was a great place to start.

At 74 is has been 25 years since I had a centerfire at the range. A couple of things that surprised me were.

The loud report. I need better ear muffs.
How much recoil a light weight 270 has.
The reloads were for a different 270 and must be slightly hot as the primer did show small flattening very slightly.
The rifle came with a reworked original Remington trigger. Very clean, crisp and 0 creep. Just slightly lighter than most of mine. Not going to change it.

Going to see what I can do next at 100yds. I was pushed for time this time. I have 2 more reloads to try.

Last edited:

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Back at the range. Very happy with the results. There was an error in my original post. The old reloads were 140 grain Hornady. That will be my load for that rifle as I have about 100 of that load.

I will be working now with my other 270. So I'll be spending more time at the range next week.

And a 243.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I thought maybe you had an extremely tight chamber or something. Jack O'Connor used 60 gr H4831 with 130gr. That powder may have changed significantly over the years. I used 59 gr H4831 with a 130 gr bullet, but I have not shot that rifle since my last pronghorn license maybe ten tears ago. The powder may have changed since then, but not the two pounds of short kernel that I still have.
Deer season is cooler weather and the old powder your using should not be of the temperature insensitive type we sort of have now. You should have no pressure signs when deer season rolls around. Next time you go to the range get there at sunrise when its cool. Best of luck Zog.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Zog I see you said the primers were flattened slightly. That's normal. Now if they are completely flat with the case head or you have crattering then you have a pressure problem. If they didnt flatten some they wouldn't be sealing.

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
never assume in the world of reloading, but hodgdon says it is an exact ballistic copy

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 169
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79