Freak accident. (Understatement)

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
[h=2]Freak accident nearly kills angler
by angelamontana [/h]Posted: July 12, 2021

Marie Stecker Thesenvitz was fishing with her husband and their daughter and witnessed a freak accident while out on the water. She recently posted an update about her husband, Todd. Definitely worth reading and something to think about the next time you’re out fishing:
Update on Todd. I initially hadn’t put too much out there because I wasn’t able to process the freak accident. I still am not… to our friends who fish it may be easier to understand than those of you who do not.
Wednesday, July 7th at approximately 11:15am my husband, myself and our daughter were fishing near Clark, SD. We were pulling spinners with bottom bouncers and doing very well. We almost had our walleye limit and a few nice perch. There was a bite on Todd’s pole which he grabbed and fought what turned out to be a monster northern. He brought the fish to the surface and the northern broke the hook and took off. It all happened so fast from this point. I had been ready to net the fish and was standing in front of Todd so we don’t believe he saw the fish get off. I moved to put the net away since we didn’t need it anymore when Todd screamed.. “OH! My chest!!” (Anyone who knows him knows this could have been a joke!) Keanna and I turned, looked and went immediately into crisis mode.. The bottom bouncer hand penetrated his chest.
We (mostly Keanna) convinced him to NOT pull it out. 911 was called as Keanna got him calm and on the floor while I reeled the other lines in and got the trolling motor up and the big engine started.(I had NEVER driven the boat before now) It took us about 13 minutes to follow the GPS back to the boat ramp. I couldn’t go as fast as I wanted because it was too painful for him.
Arriving at the boat ramp there were red lights from every possible entity! Clark County volunteers and paid officers came in full force! Game fish and parks also. There were people everywhere to help with everything. The dispatch lady said she was sending everyone and boy did she!! They helped land the boat got Todd onto the gurney and into the ambulance where they stabilized the bottom bouncer and were quickly in route to Prairie lakes hospital in Watertown 30 miles away.
The people not part of the EMS took the boat away from the dock for me while a man backed the trailer in.( normally it’s my job but I knew I was not able to try to do it). Another group of people sprang into action to get the boat situated so we could put the cover on and got me on the way to the hospital. Upon arriving at Prairie Lakes there was an incredible amount of people who were working to get him ready for the helicopter transport to Sioux Falls. The bottom bouncer had penetrated his heart….
Keanna and I dropped the truck and boat back to the campground where Trey met us and drove to Sioux Falls. (We knew we could make better time in the car.) Before we arrived they had already taken Todd into the OR.
In the OR, after opening his sternum, the surgeon found a pericardium that was so full of blood it was now preventing the heart from beating. The surgeon cut open the pericardium and released the blood which caused a blood pressure fluctuation that required life support bypass for heart and lung. The surgeon was able to repair the puncture with a couple of stitches. Removed the bypass but maintained the intubation and sedation to allow time to start healing.
The surgeon was very blunt and said there was no reason Todd was still alive. A lesser man would be dead. If anything had gone any different from the second it happened until he was on the OR table he would not have been able to save him.
Today, I thank you all for your prayers and your positive energies! My husband is alive and healing. We are possibly looking at going home in a day or two!!
If any of my friends know a clark county volunteer or officer etc… or anyone who was present on the 7th please tag them in this so we can thank them properly!

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Incredible. I knew there was a good reason not to use bottom bouncers!

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Crazy...what are the odds. Kinda similar to the accident that took the life of Steve Irwin/the crocodile hunter. Believe he was swimming with stingrays and his heart was pierced with a barb...tragic. So glad this incident ended well...God is good!

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
DAMN!

A number of years ago a former supervisor of mine commented one time about the type of bungee cords I was using. They were the ones with the wire hooks on the ends instead of the large, cumbersome plastic hooks.

His comment: A gal he knew used small bungee cords to secure her notebooks, planner, whatever. Anyway, one of the bungees when it came loose snagged her eyeball and she ended up losing it. I think of that far too often when I am bungee'ing something together. Including my boat to the dock.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fishing is dangerous. I’m gonna stick to riding my motocross bike

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Incredible story, thanks for sharing. Glad it turned out as well as it did. Good reminder of a number of things:

1) Anything at the end of a bent fishing rod is a possible projectile. Took two embedded treble hooks before I learned to not grab from above a fish hanging on a crankbait.

2) You never know when you might be dependent upon the people in your boat to get you, them and your boat back to the ramp. It's hard to do but giving up the helm and allowing people to learn your equipment could save your life.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Damn on in a BILLION! Maybe I should bend every one of mine. Just put a little u shape bend at the end of them.

Mr. Stevenson

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Snagged a long Rapala about 3ft deep and 5ft away. Got pissed. Lure flew into the low crotch of my jeans with enough force to feel like a 6th grade nut tap. Crossways and all three hooks. One hook barely pierced my beautiful scrotum. Stood pants down on the riverbank and learned never to fish without needle nose pliers. Underwear was clean. The line between friend and tormentor is razor thin.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Glad to hear of a good outcome from the situation. Scary. . .

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Snagged a long Rapala about 3ft deep and 5ft away. Got pissed. Lure flew into the low crotch of my jeans with enough force to feel like a 6th grade nut tap. Crossways and all three hooks. One hook barely pierced my beautiful scrotum. Stood pants down on the riverbank and learned never to fish without needle nose pliers. Underwear was clean. The line between friend and tormentor is razor thin.

If this happens again just tell your friend, or whatever stranger comes to your aid: “May the forceps be with you” in your best Obi Wan voice.

LOV2HNT

Founding Member
Founding Member
All I can think of is how lucky he was to have other people in the boat. I fish alone a lot, don't think I would have had the same outcome.

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
That is one crazy story, loaded rods are like loaded guns. Eye protection is good mmmmk.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Damn on in a BILLION! Maybe I should bend every one of mine. Just put a little u shape bend at the end of them.

then i suppose they will stick in the rocks if they get turned a little bit.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77