DIY Alaska Caribou

Callem'In

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm headed to Alaska for a DIY caribou hunt in September. I'm not new to the Alaska hunting game, but am new to interior Alaska hunting. I have hunted in SE Alaska prior. We are doing a 5 day, atv/pack in trip. For anyone who has hunted interior Alaska, what are some must have items? I'm sure there are things I have not considered or thought about.

LOV2HNT

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have nothing to add other than I'm jealous. Best of luck to you.

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
Are you flying up there? Driving a pickup North? Pulling a trailer?

Assuming you are going up the haul road, my concerns would be as follows:

1. Travel To and From..... Fuel....spare tires.....spare battery...generator....communication.
2. Camping.....Shelter, food, water, and bear defense.
3. Lastly Hunting, all the stuff you probably realize you need in your pack. Knives, game bags, good boots, and a license!

All of the above could be discussed at length...then again, I'm just a flatlander :confused:

Big C

Muck boots vs. waders vs. leather hiking boots. What type of terrain will you be in? We were in an area with permafrost and there was shallow water everywhere, even where it was "dry" and a good walking boot muck type boot was best. Could cross the smaller rivers but still walk "comfortably". Waders kill my feet when walking miles. Leather boots can get soaked.

Callem'In

Founding Member
Founding Member
We are flying, but have family in Anchorage with the gear to use. We are hunting higher elevation, but packing xtra tuffs and leather hunting boots, hip waders as a backup for stream crossings. Travel is not a concern, have 2 spare tires, extra fuel tank in the bed of the truck to fill atvs, etc.

BrewCrew

★★★★ Legendary Member
I am interested in your results upon your return. Our group has postponed our DIY caribou hunt on the haul road from August to next year due to the border issues at this time. Part of our group was going to drive up with all our gear and part were flying into Fairbanks to join up. In talking to Alaska Game wardens it would have been a great archery hunt.

Good Luck - Safe travels - Safe Hunt!!!

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Alaska questions i would talk to [MENTION=6150]wjschmaltz[/MENTION] on here. He lives up there

wjschmaltz

★★★★★ Legendary Member
You draw one of the GMU13 tags or headed to 40 mile country?

Rubber rain gear. Helly Hansen or Grundens. If on ATVs make sure you either have bibs and/or the long jacket or you will have water running down your crack. That’s the big one. Sounds like your family will have you dialed on footware for the area. I’ve spent a week in everything from chest waders, hip waders, xtra tuffs, and hiking boots depending on the terrain. I REALLY like puffy jacket/pants for long exposed glassing. May not be needed depending on how you’re hunting off ATVs. You will likely not be in the pristine and tranquil Alaska. You will be witnessing road hunting on meth

Callem'In

Founding Member
Founding Member
We will be in 20E in 40 mile country. I assume it will be a shit show of road hunters. Hoping to get far enough away with atvs and packing in/out.

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd go to the Rokslide caribou forum. Seems to be quite a bit of chatter there.

wjschmaltz

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Cool man. Good luck. If you have your expectations where they need to be, you’ll have a great time. First time I went up that way, I was absolutely pissed when I saw the chaos. Now when I make the trek, I know what to expect and always have a great time.

I’ll be taking the family up to 20E by Chicken for a long Labor Day weekend to see if we can bump into a couple caribou. Hopefully it’s like last year and they’re still around and the season is still open that late!

Let us know how the trip goes!!!

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wet wipes, lots and lots of wet wipes. Their 1st job is obvious, however, they're also valuable for washing the rest of your carcass when water is at a premium. Bathing in "glacier water" might be spiritual, but, it's mighty mighty COLD as well. Wet wipes can buy you a few "itch-free" days sans the polar plunge.

Gatorade Powder

Last edited:

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
A coupla spools of para cord for tying things up or down. LB

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 134
  • This month: 118
  • This month: 109