Nd dmv

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Tried to put license on a vehicle that I didn't license in 2020 and thought there was a glitch in the system since it wouldn't let me complete the application so I called in to Bismarck. Told the lady what the issue was and she asked me " Why didn't you license it in 2020" ? I'm like , wth kind of question is that and I almost felt like telling her it was none of her business but just told her the truth , I didn't use it in 2020.

She informed me since I didn't license it last year I need to make an appointment with local DMV division and go in person to get license on it. I'm like wth, I've been licensing vehicles off and on as I need them for over 40 years and never heard of such a thing.

Has anyone else run into this situation ? Are the dirty buggers trying to make us license a vehicle that is in our possession even if we aren't using it ? Nothing like a big step backwards.

Last edited:

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Not the same, but similar situation with me and my old camper (travel trailer). The big differences were I did use it, just forgot to license it until half way through the summer. I didn't tow it around much, so I said F it and rolled the dice. Went in the following spring and they charged me for two years, which is what I'm assuming they will try and do to you as well. I didn't argue it cuz it was just a camper and cheap anyways, not to mention I did use it the previous year.

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
After registering our new to us camper, they can pound sand on the annual registration from here on out...

Sorry.

Cough.

Taxation is theft.

Cough. Not sorry.

Last edited:

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
I remember back in the day if you missed a year or more and wanted to license the vehicle, you had to pay for the years you didn't license it along with the year that you wanted to license it. Bunch of BS.
Just another way to get money from the peasants!

- - - Updated - - -

Back then the only way around it was you had to get a receipt from a mechanic that said you had the engine or transmission or something major fixed as it wasn't running or able to be driven.

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is like skipping a meal and being forced to eat double the next meal. It's none of their damn business what happened the prior year.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I feel as though they need to prove I used it, the innocent until proven guilty type of stuff..

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Its complete bullshit. So if you were somehow disabled temporarily and were unable to use said vehicle/camper. You go in a yr later to get tabs and get charged for the time it wasn't even on their fricken hwy system. Completely f-d up system.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just got off the phone with local DMV. This lady was friendly and well spoken and explained the situation. sounds like I need to go in and sign an affidavit because it wasn't licensed last year. There was no mention of having to pay for last years license, we were having a pleasant business conversation and I didn't want to ruin that. I assume the affidavit is to make me swear and to wave the 2020 fees, It already half worked.

The lady in Bismarck could have put just a teeny weeny little bit of effort into my questions instead of playing tag the tail on the donkey with such a simple question.

Thank you Burgum for appointing a California import to head NDDOT who seemingly has all sorts of new ideas to make our state a better place to live. NOT.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
if you ask me the dmv is the worst place to have to go, I've changed titles on a lot of vehicles and always leave there feeling like i did something wrong.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I hate how a public servant makes me feel like I am bothering them, and even with 10X's more ass kissing than I would ever give anyone else they seem so put off by me even being there.
Must be in their training manual, as they all seem to act this way

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yea the dmv and postal office employees sure seem to have their lucky charms pooped in a lot.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I did the same thing with my spare pickup. I didnt license it for a year and had to go in, they wouldn't let me do it over the internet. I don't remember having to sign affidavit or even having to answer any questions as to why I didn't get it licensed.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and I definitely didn't pay for the year it wasn't licensed. Maybe because it's a 1986 little POS only worth a few hundred bucks, IDK but they just didn't ask any questions.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
my last two trips to DMV made me feel like I was in a four star hotel

not kidding. efficient. friendly. polite.

I’m still wondering if it was a dream.

That guy

Honored Member
Had an employee that drove a caviler to work he didn’t have tags said he could get pulled over for that twice and still be money ahead of registration fees.

USMCDI

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think doubling the curb weight for registration on any pickup to get more money is also criminal. They claim they can carry more than a passenger car, well a Tacoma isn't carrying more or pulling more than a Suburban or similar "passenger vehicle" total BS.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
While there are a few things I don't like about the Bismarck office of the DMV, I can't say I've ever felt like I was burdening someone by needing to get something done.

1. They now require appointments for pretty much everything, and that sucks. If you have a title or something else you need today, it can be a long wait as you are basically flying standby. I had to wait an hour and a half the other day when I discovered one of my vehicle's tags were expired.

2. Not sure if it was DMV or the Post Office, but I didn't get my annual reminder to license my Toyota this year. I had even been on the mvrenewal website recently to do some other registrations, and it didn't popup as needing renewal. This kinda bothers me.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not the same, but similar situation with me and my old camper (travel trailer). The big differences were I did use it, just forgot to license it until half way through the summer. I didn't tow it around much, so I said F it and rolled the dice. Went in the following spring and they charged me for two years, which is what I'm assuming they will try and do to you as well. I didn't argue it cuz it was just a camper and cheap anyways, not to mention I did use it the previous year.

Same. Still haven't done anything about it yet.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
camper -the county probably assessed it if it didnt have a license on it.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 100
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 90
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 62