Camping with Dogs

Retired-Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just got back from a beautiful camping trip. The only issue was that the next door neighbors had 3 really well behaved dogs, two medium sized and one black lab (who turns out is 15 years old). On Monday the couple took their pontoon out and left at least 2 of the dogs including the lab in there camper. They had a roof vent open and the A/C running but the dogs barked nearly constantly the entire time they were gone. Grrrr! My wife and I get on the water by 6 and are usually back to the camper by 1 o'clock or so. These people sleep in so they are leaving about the time we get back.

So I grinned and beared it the first day but the next day they left just the lab behind, of course, with the same results. I was simmering. The campground host said it was not under his control and the park ranger was no where to be seen. By the time the folks finally returned I had downed a martini or two so I walked over and started up a friendly discussion. Eventually I mentioned that their dogs were not happy being left behind. I said the constant barking was very annoying. The excuse was that the lab was 15 and just couldn't stand to be out in the sun and heat on the water. I understand! Leave the dog with a sitter, camp in the bush away from people, stay home....what ever! I have owned dogs but would never leave them cooped up in a camper. How to deal with there situation wasn't my problem but there current solution was! I told them to "do what they had to do" and left.

This same issue occurred at Indian Hills a few years ago. I never saw the individual camping so I put a note on the door explaining that their dog barked all the time they were gone. I don't know if that was the reason but the owner showed up, hooked onto his camper, and left. Problem solved.

I know I am a ranting old fart but damn these assholes that think they can fuck my week up because they can't manage there pets!

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
We have a guy In the neighborhood who has the same exact annoying barking dogs. They make bark collars people, don't turn your shitty training and lack of discipline into other people's problem.

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
You can’t pick your neighbors. Same goes with camping…luck of the draw/roll of the dice every time.
It sucks, but it comes along with picking a house or a camping spot. Deal with it or go somewhere else with different rules. I do feel sorry for the dog though…what a miserable trip for him/her. I’ve got a couple dogs on my street that do the same; bark 100% of the time day or night when the owner is gone without exception. It’s amazing they still have voices. The owner is a great guy so in my mind I have two choices…deal with it or move.
I would never do this to my neighbors at home or my neighbors when camping, nor would most people, but some do so…yeah…you are left with a couple choices to make I guess…and there are way worse things. I do still feel bad for the dogs though. They are the ones dealt the shitty hand.

Last edited:

Retired-Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
what else goes on at about 1pm :;:howdy
Sit under the awning sipping on a cold one and trying to take a nap! :;:cheers

- - - Updated - - -

I agree Dirty. It's not the dog's fault. It's the owner's fault. All campgrounds that I visit have rules against excessive noise. Unfortunately the management doesn't bother to enforce them.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Our neighbor also has 2 non-stop barking dogs. They don't feel its right to make a dog wear a bark collar( which I suggested) all day when their gone. The one dog, they say it is in the breed to bark beings its a protection dog. What, did they research most fucking annoying dog available. "Any" dog can be trained not to bark. She actually had the gall to tell me if I didn't like it, we could move. There is 6 other neighbors in our cul-de-sac that are just as annoyed as we are. Some peoples ignorance really bothers me and they are a pair of them.

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
A barking dog SUCKS!
I have taught all ,my dogs not to.
Squeeze lemon bulb in the mouth. EVERY SINGLE time!!
For those that have neighbors that have barking dogs and won't do anything to curb It,
A few days of blasting gospel music may do the trick.;:;bowdown

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
One thing I can’t disagree with…and I’ve had lots of dogs. A little time spent with them goes a long way. It is VERY easy to train any dog not to bark.

undguy

Founding Member
Founding Member
You can’t pick your neighbors. Same goes with camping…luck of the draw/roll of the dice every time.
It sucks, but it comes along with picking a house or a camping spot. Deal with it or go somewhere else with different rules. I do feel sorry for the dog though…what a miserable trip for him/her. I’ve got a couple dogs on my street that do the same; bark 100% of the time day or night when the owner is gone without exception. It’s amazing they still have voices. The owner is a great guy so in my mind I have two choices…deal with it or move.
I would never do this to my neighbors at home or my neighbors when camping, nor would most people, but some do so…yeah…you are left with a couple choices to make I guess…and there are way worse things. I do still feel bad for the dogs though. They are the ones dealt the shitty hand.

So your saying I have to move out of my house if my neighbors dog is continuously barking? I don’t think so. Most cities have ordinances covering this with remedies up to impounding the dog. I would, and have, always visited with my neighbors the very few times it has been an issue and they have taken care of the problem. But move if they won’t? Uh uh.

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Nope. That’s not what I’m saying. I never said you have to tolerate it or move somewhere else.

I’m saying “deal with it or go somewhere else.” Deal with it could mean tolerate it, start a battle with your neighbor, have a friendly chat, teach him how to control the dogs barking, have a fist fight with him, complain to the cops, whatever. I like my neighbor so I tolerate it and don’t feel like going anywhere else with it. I did offer some suggestions to him but apparently to no avail. I should add though...I'm a couple houses away and not directly next door. That would be a little tougher to handle, especially at night.

Last edited:

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
37F4DE42-0375-4102-8080-2C54134342BF.jpg

me at the campground putting myself to sleep with sounds of barking dogs......

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Our neighbor had two dogs and when one died the other (her pup) barked, whinned, and howled 24/7 for three years until it died. Now they only have a couple small dogs. Some people simply have no respect for others.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Some people definitely shouldn’t have dogs and on the other hand the world would be a better place with more dogs and less people.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
We have had many dogs throughout our lives. Trained every one of them not to bark and wouldn't tolerate it unless someone pulled in the yard or came to our door. We have some friends that have 2 little mutts with super high pitched barks and it drives me crazy and gives me an instant headache since my last stroke. I tell them to shut them up or put them in the garage if they are at our place, and if we are at theirs, I tell them to shut them up or we are leaving. They think it is funny that their dogs bark for no stinking reason. They even bark when one of their owners come into the house or into a room from another room WTF!
I have literally no use for a dog that isn't trained and yes it is the owners fault and not the dog.
Have watched many owners trying to walk their dog on a leash and the dog is dragging them down the sidewalk. Train that dog to walk beside you, it isn't that hard to do. But then again watch how they raised their kids, many of the kids are the same way, no training!

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have had more trouble with other peoples kids than their dogs. Its seems they can train their dogs, kids not so much. LB

Honored Member
I have had more trouble with other peoples kids than their dogs. Its seems they can train their dogs, kids not so much. LB

I wouldve let the dog out and hung out with it until the owners came back. Problem solved.

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I wouldve let the dog out and hung out with it until the owners came back. Problem solved.

I think this was meant to be a reply to the original post, and to be honest not a bad idea if the camper wasn’t locked! Option number 3, and by far the best option for the dog.

Last edited:

dblkluk

★★★ Legendary Member
That's gonna happen when you "camp" in a trailer park. We camped in a developed campground for the first time in quite a few years last week in Idaho. The first night we were there a neighbor left their two dogs outside in wire crates about 9 pm while they and two other neighboring campers went to the bar or town or wherever.. Damn dogs whined solid until about 2 am. Had I not had 2 sleeping kids with me I would have packed up and headed into the backcountry 5 minutes into the whining.
I hate 90% of "campgrounds"

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
My dog even starts to bark, he gets a sharp command of NO, iffn he barks even once after the command the bark collar gets put on, and he knows to not do it the rest of the trip.
I have had a barking dog neighbor at the campground, fucking ruins a weekend.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75