Another fly fishing carp post but with catfish too

DakotaGreg

Established Member
Fly Fishing Carp.jpgI carefully crafted a post on what works for me after years of fly fishing for carp and the post expired. I lost all my writing so Ill just be short. I caught two big carp in two casts and used them for catfishing all night which was also very good. If anyone wants me to share how I specifically target carp, Ill gladly write it again. Also, I still have all that fly fishing stuff and other stuff to sell too.

Mr. Stevenson

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Fresh cut bait is great for cats. A couple years ago down South I demonstrated to a pard the superiority of cut bluegill over crawlers in a cat pond. Main thing is nightcrawlers are constantly resulting in bluegill/ small LMB.

Carp on the fly/cat bait is a fine day of fishing. It's a damn shame the only palatable catfish in the World come from the Garrison Tailrace.

Last edited:

DakotaGreg

Established Member
I am actually getting my catfish on the main lake and it's some of the best fish I've ever eaten but only after careful trimming. I'm not getting the big guys yet like I did on the Yellowstone River but I just started doing it here. It may seem like there's not much meat on these smaller cats after trimming but it's worth it. I used to just cut off yellow meat and fry it. Now I trim out the middle vein, yellow meat, and all meat that's discolored or has a weird texture. The remaining meat smells fresh and the pile of trimmings smells fishy. I feed the nasty to my long haired tortie cat.

I soak all my fillets in saltwater overnight in a fridge. It's crazy how much slime comes out.

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am actually getting my catfish on the main lake and it's some of the best fish I've ever eaten but only after careful trimming. I'm not getting the big guys yet like I did on the Yellowstone River but I just started doing it here. It may seem like there's not much meat on these smaller cats after trimming but it's worth it. I used to just cut off yellow meat and fry it. Now I trim out the middle vein, yellow meat, and all meat that's discolored or has a weird texture. The remaining meat smells fresh and the pile of trimmings smells fishy. I feed the nasty to my long haired tortie cat.

I soak all my fillets in saltwater overnight in a fridge. It's crazy how much slime comes out.

Add some lemon juice to your brine mixture and see if that makes them taste better. That's what I brine all my fresh water fish in.

DakotaGreg

Established Member
I will try to remember to add lemon to the brine. I also always use malt vinegar on fried fish

DakotaGreg

Established Member
fillets.jpgBrought back four more catfish tonight. After trimming, there is no way that meat will not be good.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 76