Chevy PU electrical problem???

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
​2018 Chevy 1500 Silverado. Every so often it won't turn the engine over just clicks. Everything else is working, I think. As the lights come on, radio, inside lights. Got this PU new at the end of 2018. Everything was good for the first year and a half. Then it happened a couple of times. However when the auto mechanics checked it out, after I got it going. After the third time I had them put in a new battery. The PU has 53,000 miles on it. That was about 5 months ago. Now it happened again.
Please don't say 'See your Chevy dealership'. I live in GF and would rather have a double root canell.

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
starter related,possible solenoid most likely,better to fix it now rather than -20

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
No laughing! A good friend said since I have been refusing Onstar they have taken over the PU and a f'n with me. He is a Ford guy. Kinda scary.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Rub some CBD oil on the hood.:;: Seriously though all the vrap on these new vehicles can drive a guy up the wall. For under $100 I bought my own analyzer. Twice my check engine came on durring southern trips. Both times it told me a glow plug was out and which one. I have had a parasitic drain of my battery thats hard to solve. My multi tester says there is no parasitic drain, but both batteries go dead in two weeks. So I bought my own battery analyzer. Turned out one battery was bad even though only a year old. Maybe I have the problem solved, maybe.
Your sounds like a bad solenoid. or loose connection to it. So much crap it's hard to pinpoint.

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Are you using factory keys? I have heard of people using after market keys and there are times when the chip in the key does get read.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Rub some CBD oil on the hood.:;: Seriously though all the vrap on these new vehicles can drive a guy up the wall. For under $100 I bought my own analyzer. Twice my check engine came on durring southern trips. Both times it told me a glow plug was out and which one. I have had a parasitic drain of my battery thats hard to solve. My multi tester says there is no parasitic drain, but both batteries go dead in two weeks. So I bought my own battery analyzer. Turned out one battery was bad even though only a year old. Maybe I have the problem solved, maybe.
Your sounds like a bad solenoid. or loose connection to it. So much crap it's hard to pinpoint.
Batteries nowadays are junk it seems. Don't last worth a toot.
If you have 2 batteries (like a diesel) and one goes bad, the bad one will drain the good one, as you found out.
Always replace both batteries at the same time. Being yours isn't too old you "might" get by replacing one.
We still have both of the originals in our 16 Duramax but it is "unemployed" and sitting in the garage most of the time. Took it out day before yesterday so it could stretch its legs and looked at the odometer and it reads 38,000 miles. Would like to get it deleted now that the extended warranty is done but don't think that can happen anymore. Good Ol' EPA.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Back in 2013-2015 our whole fleet of chevys did this off and on. Mine finally just up and quit doing it. But all the others were in and out of the dealer numerous times. They never did say what fixed it

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Geez Jack."38k" on a 2016 HD! your sittin on a gold mine with GM's lot's being empty for new trucks nationwide,this shortage has good used truck prices crazy high these days,no telling when GM will get back on track putting new trucks out,I see issues today is a shortage of micro chips that are needed for all the added bullshit on these new trucks.sensors,camera's etc.Some dealers have a few HD trucks in stock but they can't sell them w/o these new micro chips installed,I'm told today it's a 5 month wait to get a high end GM 2500 or 3500HD(LTZ or High country model) gas or diesel providing we don't go back in to a national lock down again which is looming on the horizon.Crazy times.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep, 38,000 miles, Crew Cab, LTZ, Duramax, 4x4, and White of course.
If I remember right, the only time this has been on gravel or off-road is when we drove into the campground in the Black Hills when we camped there in the summers, when we lived in NoDak. 1/4 mile of gravel in and out.
Only reason I would like a new one is because of the new cameras. Like that overhead one, it would come in handy for this old geezer!
But to just have it sitting in the garage like this one, just doesn't make sense.
I guess my son will get a darn good pickup with low miles some day.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Going to take it up to Dahlstrom's?
Bought a few pickups from them when I lived in Harwood and West Fargo and worked at Busch Elevator.

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Starter Relay. Easy to check, can swap possibly with lights relay to diagnose. Very easy box to check before you tow it....fuse box under the hood.

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Are you using factory keys? I have heard of people using after market keys and there are times when the chip in the key does get read.

​Yes, only 2 factory keys and tried them both.

- - - Updated - - -

Starter Relay. Easy to check, can swap possibly with lights relay to diagnose. Very easy box to check before you tow it....fuse box under the hood.

​Fuse looked a bit questionable so changed that out. NOPE. THX, anyway.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74