Leader Material

Mr. Stevenson

★★★★★ Legendary Member
When a high probability of pike is present I will be equipped with a wire leader especially when using jerkbaits. I like to roll my own like fun with marijuana. I attempt to minimize the profile and use saltwater quality swivels; my favorite snap is either the 25 or 40lb Eagle Claw Quicklinks. This style IMO IS very quick and hydrodynamic: IME this style clip is like .22 rimfire ammo availability: Boom or bust with the added benefit of frequent changes in moniker.

During the Viet Nam War US troops were warned to not use commie guns and ammo. Reason being; the CIA produced AK cartridges which were essentially bombs. The rds were covertly/randomly inserted in the ammo supply. The intent was commie fear to fire a rifle and diminished accuracy. IMO it was brilliant in concept unfortunately resulting in US casualties...Also; FYI there are 1903 Springfield's out there which can detonate due to improper heat treating...the serial #'s are available on the internet.

I digress: A few years ago I bought a shitton of 50lb titanium Terminator Leader Material; thin, pliable and strong. The stuff will randomly snap in mid-cast and remarkably (a lot of times) land the lure near it's intended target (baitcaster). IME there's no way to determine a break warning so I clip the hardware every few hundred casts and recycle. I started with 8in and now think the "secret" may be 4in.

Only Northland spinnerbaits are compatible with the above tackle. If the leader snaps it is gone. I love Northland spinnerbaits and am sad at a loss. I've had some/good success retrieving jerkbaits.

My "Sean Hannity" type question is: Should I switch to coated steel or buy more collets for the diameter of fluorocarbon?

cache.php

- - - Updated - - -

cache.php

- - - Updated - - -

I hope you enjoyed this long read.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm thinking steel.

Last edited:

Mr. Stevenson

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I wonder if current tech could ID a true CIA round?...good beer money.

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
When I first saw this thread I thought is was going to be about Chesty Puller. :cool:

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
I "roll my own" leaders, as you say, as well. I use 20lb bare Stainless Steel Leader from Surfstrand. No bite offs, thin and unobtrusive.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Leader material is where Saltwater has FAR EXCEEDED Freshwater IMO. I would look at what leader material and clips are available to saltwater anglers and make my decision from that. Pick up any saltwater catalog and you will have pages and pages of leader material from floro to coated cable to single strand wire to coated single strand and so on and so on and so on. Good Luck!!

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Can't beat solid steel...steel strand even 50lb test once nicked by mr toothy will be a weak point until replaced,a 12" solid steel leader won't compromise lure action like a 16"- 20+" leader will providing you're targeting big pike or musky,walleye using small diameter leaderline is a must to be successful bite off's are to be expected and unavoidable most often,just a few thoughts.

Last edited:

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
In the past, Alkaline was a northern hotspot for me when I was chasing walleyes. Especially when using cranks I would catch 5-10 pike for every keepable walleye. It cost me quite a few cranks until I started using a titanium wire leader. It was called Knot Too Kinky and was available from WalMart for a reasonable price. It did take a little while to learn how to tie it, but I am pretty sure it paid for itself rather quickly.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77