Olympics~

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'll be watching some Olympic events for sure. There are plenty of athletes who are full fledged Americans that will do nothing but honor the country with their successes. Many have worked their tails off for the last 5 years to get there and I respect that. Womens 3000m steeplechase, 1500m run, 400m hurdles are all high on American talent. Mens track we have competitors in almost all events up to the distance events. And the majority of these athletes aren't the overpaid whiners that the NFL, NBA, etc. are. The might be running their asses off for a wage and shoes with not a lot more. It's too bad it's turned into just another line in the sand for everyone!

I feel bad for the athletes that are there representing their country in a respectful manner, I just wish they would stand up to the squeaky wheels that are pissing the populace off. I hear from some people that us that aren’t watching the nfl,nba,olympics etc just like free speech when it suits us. To that I say bs. Companies have been dictating to employees how they are able to use their “free speech” for years to allow for their company to not be taken down by their employees points of view. I don’t know when or how all these entertainers and athletes got the idea anyone needs to be exposed to their crappy opinions while they are “working” just because they feel self important. If speaking their mind is more important than keeping viewers then more power to em but I’ll just continue to tune out. Especially for the athletes that are doing it while they represent the USA.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
She broke mentally. She thought she may hurt the team. They treated it like any other injury. That's as much as I heard. The days where you tuff it out are over. And I mean mentally. Suck it up and do your best. Oh the pressure is too much so just quit. Now that the face of women's sports does this, and she is applauded, you'll see kids doing the same.

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
She's no champion.

Champions don't give up when the going gets tough.

Very disappointing.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
If she didn't want to compete, she should have stayed home and let someone else go that would have competed.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
She broke mentally. She thought she may hurt the team. They treated it like any other injury. That's as much as I heard. The days where you tuff it out are over. And I mean mentally. Suck it up and do your best. Oh the pressure is too much so just quit. Now that the face of women's sports does this, and she is applauded, you'll see kids doing the same.

as people like Spencer lee win championship with no acl in either knee. I’m a basketball guy but that team is a disgrace . Should just get the old dream team back together they would play harder and have more passion for the game.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep the days of mental toughness are over for some athletes, look at LeBron needing to be carried of the court because of a cramp, Michael Jordan played with the flu. The Olympics are a shit show

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
She's no champion.

Champions don't give up when the going gets tough.

Very disappointing.

Today show today had a couple of gymnastic winners on, they did not even congratulate them, or tell their story. It was all about Simone, and how brave she was to quit, tell us how brave she is...blah blah. Then came on Michael Phelps, same shit, how wonderful Simone is to have been brave enough to quit, she is a true Hero...

It was like listening to how wonderful Biden is, and all he is doing. Such blinders and bullshit is was nauseating.

Simone trained hard, earned a spot, took the spot someone else could have had, and quits? and that makes her a Hero?

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
The argument is that mental illness is the same as a broken leg. It's just like a physical injury. I'm sorry it's not. It's easier to quit than lose. Someone needed to coach her up and tell her to just go so your best. If you win great, if not so be it. When quitting due to stress is an option, you're hurting sports and what they teach. If someone wants to quit I guess it's fine quit, BUT DONT APPLAUD it!! I've seen athletes quit on the field (court,mat, etc) too, it's sad. It's hard to give it everything you've got and lose. It's heartbreaking especially for exceptional athletes. Their mind set is that if I really don't try my hardest and lose, than they didn't beat my best. Somehow it's easier for some people to accept losing that way.

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Agree with alot of what's said here,simone laid the ground work for our younger generation coming into sports that look up to this gal,soon when facing a fierce competitor or event it will be okay to bail,on the other hand at simon's age(27yrs) if that is correct,maybe her body tells her "don't do it" as we age (me) my mind thinks I'm still 25 years old when a challenge presents itself,then the body says "NO don't do-it"

or simone could be a flat-out bi-polar flake,who know's but she surely set a poor example by bailing out for our young ppl in these sports.

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
The media wants to play the Simone Biles story to deflect all of the other negative stories we would likely hear. Basketball team woes? Soccer team woes? Nooooooo, they want to deflect from that and build up how fantastic Simone is for quitting because she had an internal woe and not a true physical injury. If she felt her mental demons were that bad why didn't she remove herself three days before an maybe send an alternate that was able TO BE MENTALLY READY?

rapala_09

Honored Member
Watching some of the olympic trials and early olympics, the media was ALL about Simone Biles and how awesome she was. I have to think that maybe the fact that she is active on twitter and social media, etc had to have added to the stress or anxiety or whatever broke her. It could have been a wise decision for her to possibly unplug from all of that shit until the olympics were over.

The fact is, I probably know nothing about what she's going through or even the REAL story about what happened. I don't trust any media these days.... So it's tough for me to give a Yay or Nay opinion. Unfortunate for sure.
I'll sleep just as well tonight as I did before any of this.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have been watching the Olympics for a few years now and I have never heard anyone tell the world I dont feel like it. We are in a sad state of affairs when it comes to the younger generations.

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nowadays we all have our own truths.....facts be damned. She could wake up tomorrow and proclaim she has a busted leg and is a white male and the US media and half the country would praise her and thank her for her honesty.

7mmMag

Founding Member
Founding Member
So this thread went from "I'm not watching the olympics, those athletes don't care about our country...etc" to "How dare someone quit the olympics (that i'm "not" watching). There sure are a lot of open minded christians on here that are casting stones at someones situation that they know nothing about.

Yes I get that someone else could have taken her place if she wasn't mentally prepared but we don't know what happened. That girl had the weight of the country on her shoulders, everybody expected her to take the gold in all her events. Thats a lot of pressure. People breakdown mentally all the time at no fault of their own. Also in case you didn't realize, the judges were adjusting her scores because she is so much better than everyone else. They basically wanted a more level playing field for the other competitors. That has to knock you down mentally as well.

We don't need to celebrate that she quit but we don't need to criticize her either.

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
So this thread went from "I'm not watching the olympics, those athletes don't care about our country...etc" to "How dare someone quit the olympics (that i'm "not" watching). There sure are a lot of open minded christians on here that are casting stones at someones situation that they know nothing about.

Yes I get that someone else could have taken her place if she wasn't mentally prepared but we don't know what happened. That girl had the weight of the country on her shoulders, everybody expected her to take the gold in all her events. Thats a lot of pressure. People breakdown mentally all the time at no fault of their own. Also in case you didn't realize, the judges were adjusting her scores because she is so much better than everyone else. They basically wanted a more level playing field for the other competitors. That has to knock you down mentally as well.

We don't need to celebrate that she quit but we don't need to criticize her either.

Was her pressure life or death?

I'll answer it for you....no.

Don't tell me it was too much.

She needs to suck it up and cut out the drama. Period.

- - - Updated - - -

And the funny part is none of it really matters...AT ALL!!

Too much pressure....yeah ok.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
“We should be out here having fun, and sometimes that’s not the case.”

-No Olympian Ever

*correction… one “Olympian” just said it

Last edited:

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member

The weight of the country? how many people even watch gymnastics ? 15 million people watched the first night of the Olympics and 96 million watched the super bowl. You want to be on the big stage and get all the accolades and praise you better be ready to take the criticism when you fold .

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 165
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76