retail ammo supply~

fishdrinkhunt

Founding Member
Founding Member
Its funny how you can get ammo at Scheels but not Runnings or it might just be bad timing for me at Runnings?

Shockwave

Founding Member
Founding Member
Finally found some 243 shells on Midway USA's website. $40 for the box + $13 shipping= OUCH!! They're the Hornaday American Whitetail that normally cost $22 a box. I was not pleased to pay that much for one box of shells but the wife and kids shoot 243.

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Its funny how you can get ammo at Scheels but not Runnings or it might just be bad timing for me at Runnings?

Runnings hasn’t had SHIT for ammo for many months. Not sure if they aren’t even trying to get ammo anymore or if Scheel’s is using their bullying technique they are becoming famous for.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Runnings hasn’t had SHIT for ammo for many months. Not sure if they aren’t even trying to get ammo anymore or if Scheel’s is using their bullying technique they are becoming famous for.

Likely the difference between local vs. centralized ordering/control.

I'd be interested to hear more about this "bullying" technique.

Bullsnake

Founding Member
Founding Member
I got some12 gauge 5 shot from Scheels last Thursday and finally got my hands on some 22 mag shell from Runnings on Tuesday, just waiting on some 22-250 and 270 rounds now. would like some 410 and 20 gauge rounds too though

Walleye_Chaser

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have plenty of pheasant load from previous years. Not that it really matters, pheasant numbers in 2H have been BRUTAL where we hunt.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
No more limits on shells at Scheels. The pulled the limit off a while ago.
Sweet Lord though, you talk about PRICE GOUGING!!!

Do your homework. They match prices if you can prove it is cheaper somewhere else...and it usually is.

Rogers sporting goods is a good place to match , 9mm should be no more than 17-20$

- - - Updated - - -

I got some12 gauge 5 shot from Scheels last Thursday and finally got my hands on some 22 mag shell from Runnings on Tuesday, just waiting on some 22-250 and 270 rounds now. would like some 410 and 20 gauge rounds too though
Walmart has been a good place for hunting loads and .410 shells, cheap too

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Roger’s is a GREAT place for outdoor shopping. Usually some of the best prices and frequent deals.

- - - Updated - - -

Likely the difference between local vs. centralized ordering/control.

I'd be interested to hear more about this "bullying" technique.

I have heard (so it is 2nd hand info) that they tell (at least some of) their vendors that if they serve other local competition, Scheel’s will simply pull all of their merchandise off their shelves and no longer sell their product. This puts those vendors in a tricky spot because Scheel’s likely sells the most of just about any outdoors related product. In turn this makes it very hard for any real competition to get a foot hold. While this is 2nd hand info and I can’t prove it is anything more than a rumor, I have heard it from more than one pretty reliable source and doesn’t seem like a farfetched tactic. None of those sources sell ammo so it may not relate to ammo sales at all even if it is true. It also isn’t the worst tactic I’ve heard of, but doesn’t serve the consumer very well because competition is always a good thing when you are the shopper.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have heard (so it is 2nd hand info) that they tell (at least some of) their vendors that if they serve other local competition, Scheel’s will simply pull all of their merchandise off their shelves and no longer sell their product. This puts those vendors in a tricky spot because Scheel’s likely sells the most of just about any outdoors related product. In turn this makes it very hard for any real competition to get a foot hold. While this is 2nd hand info and I can’t prove it is anything more than a rumor, I have heard it from more than one pretty reliable source and doesn’t seem like a farfetched tactic. None of those sources sell ammo so it may not relate to ammo sales at all even if it is true. It also isn’t the worst tactic I’ve heard of, but doesn’t serve the consumer very well because competition is always a good thing when you are the shopper.

I suspect what you're hearing about is actually product lines that protect their dealers like Matthews Archery. Matthews essentially gives their dealers exclusivity by keeping them somewhat distant from each other. There are cities where Scheels has been on the outside looking in in that scenario too.

Mostly, you're just passing on shit-talking which is what I figured from the get-go.

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I suspect what you're hearing about is actually product lines that protect their dealers like Matthews Archery. Matthews essentially gives their dealers exclusivity by keeping them somewhat distant from each other. There are cities where Scheels has been on the outside looking in in that scenario too.

Mostly, you're just passing on shit-talking which is what I figured from the get-go.

Could very well be.

- - - Updated - - -

Back to Runnings, over the past 18 months I’ve kept my eyes peeled for any ammo I anticipate needing for hunting in the future. I’ve looked at Runnings as much as I’ve looked at Scheel’s. Sometimes it has been slim pickings at Scheel’s but I can usually find SOMETHING on the shelf, and sometimes a pretty good selection. Runnings on the other hand has had next to nothing almost without fail. For whatever reason, they just don’t carry bullets anymore. Not sure what their deal is.

Last edited:

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
No more limits on shells at Scheels. The pulled the limit off a while ago.
Sweet Lord though, you talk about PRICE GOUGING!!!

Do your homework. They match prices if you can prove it is cheaper somewhere else...and it usually is.

Fairly certain the sign said a limit of 1 case on the pheasant shells. And yep, never thought I'd pay $22/box for pheasant loads.
Two or three winters ago WalMart had Prairie Storm pheasant loads for $10/box; I kick myself for not buying the whole shelf. Could have made more than bitcoin.

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
My buddy works there and I was BSing with him at scheels earlier this week. They pulled the 1 case limit or 2 box limit or whatever it was within the last week or so. That may be just temporary while they have a good supply.

The pheasant shells you have to pay $22 a box for were $16 a couple months ago when they got just a few cases in.
At a dollar a shell…I think I’m goin to only put one it at a time!

Last edited:

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
The pheasant shells you have to pay $22 a box for were $16 a couple months ago when they got just a few cases in.
At a dollar a shell…I think I’m goin to only put one it at a time!

I'm curious, do you believe that they've increased their margin significantly, or do you believe they've experienced a price increase from the manufacturer?

If it's their private-label stuff produced by Fiocchi, I seem to recall Italy bearing the brunt of CV-19. If you're talking about Federal, well, that's made in MN, a place that's also been an awful long ways from being considered a bastion of freedom.

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Same buddy I spoke to about no more limits on boxes said the manufacturers drove the price up. These particular $22 pheasant shells we speak of are Federal.

The Fiocci ones…pheasant max…were on the shelf a few weeks ago. I loaded up on them pretty heavy over a few days. $12 box I think they were which is similar to prices pre-Covid. They aren’t the “premium” shells some like to shoot but they’ve always served me well.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 134
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76